Problem With Downloading Large Files (1GB onwards) on Wi-Fi

DesRed

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I recently bought the Surface RT c/w the red touch cover last week and while I did enjoy it, the problem I have is downloading large files (1GB onwards) on IE10, regardless if it is the Start version or the desktop one. Using a Wi-Fi network, btw.

I searched high and low on both Google and here and so far I couldn't find any clear answers. One Microsoft Answers forum topic (Link: Download stopped working in Sleep mode - Microsoft Community) mentioned a power settings for Wi-Fi but I haven't seen it when I followed the steps.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Brad and Ellen

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey there,
Sorry about your troubles. Just to ease your mind, we download large files all the time and have zero issues with Surface. Lot's of questions for you but I'll clarify sleep mode first. From my experience, Surface does not like downloading in sleep mode, providing you can even get it to download anything while in sleep mode in the first place. So, what to do? Turn sleep mode off while downloading large files. From start, swipe the charms, tap 'search,' type 'power,' tap 'settings,' tap ' power options,' and in the approximate middle-left side of the screen, you will see the words 'Change when the computer sleeps.' Tap that and edit the settings 'til your heart's content. Change the settings back when you're done, or if you forgot, reset them to default.
If it was sleep mode causing your issues, this will correct it guaranteed.

Hope that helped!

Sent from our Surface RT

DesRed

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
..and you have all your updates? correct?

Yes. Updated to the latest one. Forgot to mention that. My apologies.

@Brad and Ellen: Thanks for the tip but I tried it once and while it did last longer, it does stop downloading after a while. Could be a modem issue as it does have a tendency to disconnect and reconnect sometimes. I'll try again to see if it works or not.

DesRed

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
An update: Tried the same trick Brad and Ellen mentioned again and it worked on another download server. I was downloading that file from a server with some connection issues. Sometimes it works, sometimes it hangs.

Again, thanks for the input. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99