8.1 preview wireless lan failures getting worse

offyoutoddle

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone experienced the wifi link dropping totally and not coming back up ? I never had this before 8.1, but with each set of patches it seems to be getting worse - now every time I leave my surface for a day it is ALWAYS disconnected from the wifi and will not reconnect. The only way to get it to reconnect is to open up the services and restart the wlan service, which then finds my network fine. Does anyone have a similar experience and/or any suggestions on how to fix this?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone experienced the wifi link dropping totally and not coming back up ? I never had this before 8.1, but with each set of patches it seems to be getting worse - now every time I leave my surface for a day it is ALWAYS disconnected from the wifi and will not reconnect. The only way to get it to reconnect is to open up the services and restart the wlan service, which then finds my network fine. Does anyone have a similar experience and/or any suggestions on how to fix this?

I have not had that one but I am having my share of 8.1 woes. As we speak, I'm about to reload the OS..probably from scratch for the second time in a month. I just finished burning a disk when the entire OS locked up. I got a blue screen and it rebooted. Now its in a boot cycle and it seems the only way to resolve it is yet another reload. Another time out of the blue, the Store wouldn't work. THAT was another reload to fix it. This is NOT how I planned to spend my weekend kid. I'm having instability problems with this OS that never happened with 7 or 8.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I had this but was able to fix this by going into services and edit the settings of the WLAN AutoConfig service. Under properties (double click) and the Recovery tab change response behavior under Subsequent failures to Restart the Service (the first two should already have that).
But even though my WiFi got fixed doing this I still had problems with my display not waking up after longer sleeps and Mail stopped working after 1-2days and would not sync.
I got fed up with it and went back to 8.0 for now.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have not had that one but I am having my share of 8.1 woes. As we speak, I'm about to reload the OS..probably from scratch for the second time in a month. I just finished burning a disk when the entire OS locked up. I got a blue screen and it rebooted. Now its in a boot cycle and it seems the only way to resolve it is yet another reload. Another time out of the blue, the Store wouldn't work. THAT was another reload to fix it. This is NOT how I planned to spend my weekend kid. I'm having instability problems with this OS that never happened with 7 or 8.

....and again, it is a beta. If you don't want potential problems don't load it. You are again conveying that you must do something and this is a crisis caused by Microsoft. If you are having problems then just run the current Windows 8 release and make sure Microsoft is aware of your problems. Nothing, however, is in any way forcing you reload the beta. Your situation is also not indicative of most people. I have had a few quirks myself but this line about how stuff never happened with Windows 7 or 8 puts you in a magical class of one. There were issues with all of the Windows 7 and 8 betas, and they were different with each release. Yes, I was a beta tester for both. BTW, if you are getting blue screens and lockups perhaps you might want to consider if you have a hardware issue (probably RAM) that the beta is able to trigger because it is not as locked down as Windows 8.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
....and again, it is a beta. If you don't want potential problems don't load it. You are again conveying that you must do something and this is a crisis caused by Microsoft. If you are having problems then just run the current Windows 8 release and make sure Microsoft is aware of your problems. Nothing, however, is in any way forcing you reload the beta. Your situation is also not indicative of most people. I have had a few quirks myself but this line about how stuff never happened with Windows 7 or 8 puts you in a magical class of one. There were issues with all of the Windows 7 and 8 betas, and they were different with each release. Yes, I was a beta tester for both. BTW, if you are getting blue screens and lockups perhaps you might want to consider if you have a hardware issue (probably RAM) that the beta is able to trigger because it is not as locked down as Windows 8.

I appreciate your input, again, but for the record, I'm not a noob at this. I got about 30 years, 2 degrees, and 2 certs invested. So when I mention it, I'm not looking to be silenced with this "its beta" soliloquy. My question again for you is, why are you not running 8.1 or are you?

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
what a load of crap response.

offyoutoddle

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I had this but was able to fix this by going into services and edit the settings of the WLAN AutoConfig service. Under properties (double click) and the Recovery tab change response behavior under Subsequent failures to Restart the Service (the first two should already have that).
But even though my WiFi got fixed doing this I still had problems with my display not waking up after longer sleeps and Mail stopped working after 1-2days and would not sync.
I got fed up with it and went back to 8.0 for now.

Works a treat on the wifi problem - thank you for that!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a dell xps that came with 7. I installed 8 and it was rock solid. I installed 8.1, and I have had some trouble. When I try to tether to my 920 in in internet sharing mode, my laptop does a bsod. Every time. I need to reinstall 8, but just haven't gotten to it yet, I don't do WiFi tether often.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05