Price whiners your gig is up! EBAY CRAZY DEAL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
got these in, thought the trouble they went to put Refurbished stickers all over them was a little excessive. These look basically brand new (and probably are)

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree, and hopefully by Windows 9.

One thing they could do right now is create a central app store and stop maintaining separate copies of apps for each user profile. Not sure why two profiles would want different versions of the same app.

videian

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Received mine last night along with a type cover. These look brand new although you do have the refurbished stickers. Hard to do a lot of testing as multiple hours were needed for updates....loooooots of updates.

Not going to try 8.1 as it is supposed to be out in a little over a week. Apps are limited, was sad to learn that apps purchased on WP8 need to be repurchased again, and WP8 apps won't work on this device (all iphone apps work on ipad) Shame on microsoft, this should be built in. Especially when the native resolution is basically the same, just one in a horizontal vs vertical aspect ratio... Also, there is no familiar connection of any kind between the WP8 and Win 8 RT....why not, this is basic stuff here. Why is Angry Birds star wars $.99 on WP8 and $3.49 on RT? The only difference would be the initial start screen aspect ratio....wtf Lumia 1020/Surface RT, one is vertically oriented, the other is horizontal...damn near same resolution.

Other than these misgivings, the device is pretty neat functionally, other than using it as a LAPtop with a keyboard (you cannot do this) you can act as a tabletop device very well.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
this is all research you should have done before buying.

WP8 apps are written for WP8 and W8 store apps are written for W8. There is no concept of buying the same app once and run on different form factors. That is because the apps are written with different languages/APIs for the different platforms.

videian

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
this is all research you should have done before buying.

WP8 apps are written for WP8 and W8 store apps are written for W8. There is no concept of buying the same app once and run on different form factors. That is because the apps are written with different languages/APIs for the different platforms.

Understand that, I am not unhappy with the purchase, just stating. These are the kinds of things that MS needs to work on if they want a successful platform.

RT is designed to work on ARM, as all cell phones are, there isn't any reason that WP8 apps should not be able to run on RT (correct me if I am wrong), this would cure one of the largest arguments against the already slim pickings of apps for RT

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
there are a lot of reasons WP8 apps don't run on RT, the main one being what I previously stated. Following your logic I should be able to run android and iOS apps too because both run on ARM devices.

Matty T

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Received mine last night along with a type cover. These look brand new although you do have the refurbished stickers. Hard to do a lot of testing as multiple hours were needed for updates....loooooots of updates.

Not going to try 8.1 as it is supposed to be out in a little over a week. Apps are limited, was sad to learn that apps purchased on WP8 need to be repurchased again, and WP8 apps won't work on this device (all iphone apps work on ipad) Shame on microsoft, this should be built in. Especially when the native resolution is basically the same, just one in a horizontal vs vertical aspect ratio... Also, there is no familiar connection of any kind between the WP8 and Win 8 RT....why not, this is basic stuff here. Why is Angry Birds star wars $.99 on WP8 and $3.49 on RT? The only difference would be the initial start screen aspect ratio....wtf Lumia 1020/Surface RT, one is vertically oriented, the other is horizontal...damn near same resolution.

Other than these misgivings, the device is pretty neat functionally, other than using it as a LAPtop with a keyboard (you cannot do this) you can act as a tabletop device very well.

are the stickers on the boxes or on the actual device?

videian

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
there are a lot of reasons WP8 apps don't run on RT, the main one being what I previously stated. Following your logic I should be able to run android and iOS apps too because both run on ARM devices.

I do believe they share the same kernel, that's a pretty good reason they should

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
His logic is sound, if Microsoft wants a successful system like this they should have it all supporting one another. It makes no sense that you can't redownload games from WP8 to RT without having to pay again, both iOS and Android have had that feature for god knows how long. Another I don't like about RT is how expensive the few games it has are over iOS/Android alternatives seems like Microsoft didn't take the time to fully develop this OS in many ways, for instance if you open the basic calculator app it goes to Desktop instead of having something on the Metro UI.

videian

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't really want to pay $6.99 for Spartan Assault twice =/ It's not like I am getting something different.... Certainly don't want to pay $3.49 for the same Angry Birds I play on my phone that I already paid $.99 for.. it's not extra content, same amount of pixels.

Do Surface Pro owners have to pay again if they want to download the same app to Surface RT? Those two are farther apart than WP8 and Surface RT.

Generally if you pay separately for an iPad app, that you have already paid for on the iPhone, your getting something extra at the same time, usually a lot extra.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do believe they share the same kernel, that's a pretty good reason they should

would people stop spouting this same kernel BS? Windows Server and windows Desktop OSs share the same kernel but even they don't do all the same things. having a similar kernel allows for some synergies, but Phone and RT are two separate operating systems. iOS on tablet and phone are not, Android on tablet and phone are not.

this thread has went way off topic. Take your gripes to other Surface threads....there are plenty.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't really want to pay $6.99 for Spartan Assault twice =/ It's not like I am getting something different.... Certainly don't want to pay $3.49 for the same Angry Birds I play on my phone that I already paid $.99 for.. it's not extra content, same amount of pixels.

Do Surface Pro owners have to pay again if they want to download the same app to Surface RT? Those two are farther apart than WP8 and Surface RT.

any app you purchase in Windows Store is good on any Windows 8 device. The exception are desktop apps present on x86 windows storefronts which are really not Windows Store apps.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

The way I interpret his logic you should be able to run Android phone apps on Android tablets, and iPhone apps on iPads.

vincelac

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
got mine today. for the most part it seems new, but there is what looks like a single pixel that is a smidge brighter than every other one. I think i'm going to grab the geek squad warranty for a year and monitor it for now. I don't want to send it back and wait another week or two, ya know?

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
The way I interpret his logic you should be able to run Android phone apps on Android tablets, and iPhone apps on iPads.

Then you're wrong. We're comparing desktops to tablets here. All three have their respective desktop OS, tablet OS and phone OS. While Android and iOS chose to put a phone OS on a bigger screen and not much else. Microsoft simplified a full OS and put it on a tablet. I'll take a full experience any day.

videian

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
would people stop spouting this same kernel BS? Windows Server and windows Desktop OSs share the same kernel but even they don't do all the same things. having a similar kernel allows for some synergies, but Phone and RT are two separate operating systems. iOS on tablet and phone are not, Android on tablet and phone are not.

this thread has went way off topic. Take your gripes to other Surface threads....there are plenty.

Windows servers and windows desktops can run the same apps.....(at least 99% of them) due to the same kernel, your logic is flawed.

Laziness by MS is what it comes down to. Once again, I DO like the surface quite a bit, just see simple flaws that should not be there (as an educated user)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo