Windows Phone "Metro or Modern" app on Surface RT not recognizing my Windows Phone 8

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I am experiencing a problem on my Surface RT where it is unable to recognize my Windows Phone 8. I just got a Nokia Lumia 1020 and wanted to connect it to my Surface RT using the Windows Phone app. However, it keeps telling me to plug in my phone on the main screen even though it has already been plugged in.

I've tried using various USB cables, all of which work on my Windows 7 laptop. Since my main "computer" device nowadays is my Surface RT, it has become quite inconvenience to have this problem.

Please let me know if there is anything that could be done to fix this. If you are also experiencing this issue, please let us know as well. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
re: Windows Phone "Metro or Modern" app on Surface RT not recognizing my Windows Phone 8

I'm going to move this thread to the Surface RT forum, since it sounds like it is an issue with the Surface, not the Windows Phone if your Windows 7 PC recognizes your Windows Phone.

lexmarq

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
I am experiencing a problem on my Surface RT where it is unable to recognize my Windows Phone 8. I just got a Nokia Lumia 1020 and wanted to connect it to my Surface RT using the Windows Phone app. However, it keeps telling me to plug in my phone on the main screen even though it has already been plugged in.

I've tried using various USB cables, all of which work on my Windows 7 laptop. Since my main "computer" device nowadays is my Surface RT, it has become quite inconvenience to have this problem.

Please let me know if there is anything that could be done to fix this. If you are also experiencing this issue, please let us know as well. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you on windows rt 8.1 preview?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
WIndows Phone app is working fine on my pc, I dont know if it is an RT issue.
I was listening to Windows weekly podcast today and they mentioned certain apps are not working in Windows 8.1 and Microsoft has not released it on msdn for developers to test. So devs are stuck with the leaked preview if they want to modify their apps for 8.1. I think Microsoft will fix that app soon.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I see. Yes, I am running 8.1 preview. I guess this is the only app I've encountered that doesn't work on it. Since I never had a wP8 to try with it before, I never knew. The only other app that doesn't work with it that I've experienced so far is the Kobo app. It just goes away after the splash screen. But for this one, everything seems to be going ok except it doesn't recognize my phone. Thanks for all the answers!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ah yeah this is definitely happening to me. Okay good to know it wasn't just me lol.

I guess this is the downside of us using preview software. :D

smbishop

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
You can fix this buy doing a refresh. Same thing happened to me and after the refresh it now recognizes my phone. Found the answer over in the Microsoft Communities...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05