How Do I Connect Surface RT to an HDTV? Having Trouble with Screen Resolution.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface RT and recently got an HDTV. I used a micro-HDMI to HDMI converter and connected my Surface RT to the TV. Then I went to the TV settings and selected HDMI input and, voila, there was Windows RT's Start Screen on my TV. I booted up the Netflix app and tried to watch a movie but it looked really bad because it is a 39" 1080p 120hz LED TV and the Surface RT resolution is not anywhere near that. So, I switched over to Desktop mode and tried to play around with the 2nd monitor settings. Here I discovered that the Surface RT can output at a higher max resolution than its own display. However, I couldn't figure out how to increase the resolution of my second display (the TV) while also being able to access the Start Screen (which would only display on my Surface' screen if I had the TV as an extended display with a higher resolution. Is it possible to utilize the higher resolution of the HDTV and then enjoy Windows RT apps on the big screen with high-definition output? That would be sweet to watch Netflix that way but also to play some games like Halo: Spartan Assault using my Surface for touch controls but watching the game action on the big screen. Is this possible?

If not possible on a Surface RT, can I do it on my Windows 8 laptop?

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
This link has some information on how to set screen resolutions on extended displays. Good luck. Setting Screen Resolution for Extended Display on Windows 8 - Super User

Well, the solution posted there is to 'install the right drivers for the monitor', but it's a TV, not a monitor, plus it's Surface RT so I don't know where I'd get those drivers. I've played around a bit in the Desktop mode of Windows RT and played with the screen resolutions of the 2nd monitor, but it still looks subpar on the big screen and I can't get it to display the modern Live Tiles Start Screen apps while also having a higher resolution output (for the TV). Surely some of you smart tech people in this forum have done this, right? There's no way I'm the first person to try to hook up an RT tablet to a TV, but I can't seem to find any guides online.

hellboarder

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Please check your micro hdmi converter if it really sits all the way in or is hitting against the tapered edge, try pushing a bit more and see if that changes the resolution as I had to cut the plastic off the adapter a bit to make it fit correctly. It would output the picture before but at a cr*ppy resolution. When I cut the plastic off it would work ok and has ever since.

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'll re-check the connection. I did try it again with a "duplicate screen" setup, but even with the screens each running on their recommended resolution, the picture on the HDTV still seemed subpar, especially when it comes to text (which is jagged and not crisp). Maybe that's a problem with the TV (i.e., it's just not that good of a TV), but it seemed like a pretty solid TV: Toshiba 39" 1080p 120hz LED. Or maybe it's just that the Surface cannot output a high enough resolution for it?

Either way, today I played Halo: Spartan Assault on my TV while sitting on the couch and holding the Surface, for touch controls. It was awesome despite that not-so-perfect resolution.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I honestly had trouble when I had a usb plugged in at the same time as the hdmi cable, try it without a usb plugged in and see if that helps.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
also after it connects to the tv you should be able to go into the settings and change any resolution settings for each individual screen once you tell it not to duplicate, I found that also helped to make things look a bit better.

gabe0013

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a Surface RT and recently got an HDTV. I used a micro-HDMI to HDMI converter and connected my Surface RT to the TV. Then I went to the TV settings and selected HDMI input and, voila, there was Windows RT's Start Screen on my TV. I booted up the Netflix app and tried to watch a movie but it looked really bad because it is a 39" 1080p 120hz LED TV and the Surface RT resolution is not anywhere near that. So, I switched over to Desktop mode and tried to play around with the 2nd monitor settings. Here I discovered that the Surface RT can output at a higher max resolution than its own display. However, I couldn't figure out how to increase the resolution of my second display (the TV) while also being able to access the Start Screen (which would only display on my Surface' screen if I had the TV as an extended display with a higher resolution. Is it possible to utilize the higher resolution of the HDTV and then enjoy Windows RT apps on the big screen with high-definition output? That would be sweet to watch Netflix that way but also to play some games like Halo: Spartan Assault using my Surface for touch controls but watching the game action on the big screen. Is this possible?

If not possible on a Surface RT, can I do it on my Windows 8 laptop?

gabe0013

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
YES THERE IS!!!! I'm not sure if you have already figured it out but here's how to do it....
First #1- connect the Surface rt like you did with the micro hdmi. The next thing is if it still looks bad on the monitor, then you have to #2-swipe to get the charms and select "Devices". Then #3- select "project" and then select #4- "second screen only". Not only does it improve picture quality but saves battery on your device because you surfaces screen is turned off. You can also select "extend" and it will be high resolution on both the external monitor and your surface. Duplicate is not what you want because the surface rt can only produce a 1280x720 resolution by itself and using that resolution on a 1080 p monitor or tv will look really bad like you mentioned.. also if you are curious the surfaces screen is turned off BUT for some reason the touch screen still works so you can really see what your touching but it still responds to touch.. I don't know why buylt it does

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb