USB Serial Adapter for RT

Boon Khai Tie

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi, was considering surface rt fir my network admin job. However I do alot of serial console to cisco devices and I know I can use telnet and ssh apps from windows store. Anyone know is usb serial adapter is supported or will windows 8.1 have that support?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi, was considering surface rt fir my network admin job. However I do alot of serial console to cisco devices and I know I can use telnet and ssh apps from windows store. Anyone know is usb serial adapter is supported or will windows 8.1 have that support?
never thought about that. I will try this at work on Monday if you haven't figured it out yourself by then. So far everything I plugged in worked including a USB2Ethernet and CAC reader. I would not be surprised if a USB2Serial works as well. Have a couple lying around at work, unfortunately not at home. will update this post when I can.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
never thought about that. I will try this at work on Monday if you haven't figured it out yourself by then. So far everything I plugged in worked including a USB2Ethernet and CAC reader. I would not be surprised if a USB2Serial works as well. Have a couple lying around at work, unfortunately not at home. will update this post when I can.

There is only one specific model of USB Ethernet chip that works, and you need a third-party driver. I'd have to assume you installed that and forgot about it by now.

Also, with Windows 8.1, it's impossible to install / use that driver too.

Honestly, I'd doubt that a USB to serial device would work. Good luck with trying it though.

Boon Khai Tie

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. Let me know what USB ethernet adapter u r using that work? My Serial USB Adapter is using FTDI chip, from their websites they stated windows 8 RT is not supported.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
There is only one specific model of USB Ethernet chip that works, and you need a third-party driver. I'd have to assume you installed that and forgot about it by now.

Also, with Windows 8.1, it's impossible to install / use that driver too.

Honestly, I'd doubt that a USB to serial device would work. Good luck with trying it though.

ah yes, correct. I remember installing drivers for Windows 7 last time. I guess it won't work then....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo