Hi, was considering surface rt fir my network admin job. However I do alot of serial console to cisco devices and I know I can use telnet and ssh apps from windows store. Anyone know is usb serial adapter is supported or will windows 8.1 have that support?
    09-07-2013 09:29 AM
    Hi, was considering surface rt fir my network admin job. However I do alot of serial console to cisco devices and I know I can use telnet and ssh apps from windows store. Anyone know is usb serial adapter is supported or will windows 8.1 have that support?
    never thought about that. I will try this at work on Monday if you haven't figured it out yourself by then. So far everything I plugged in worked including a USB2Ethernet and CAC reader. I would not be surprised if a USB2Serial works as well. Have a couple lying around at work, unfortunately not at home. will update this post when I can.
    09-07-2013 10:55 AM
    never thought about that. I will try this at work on Monday if you haven't figured it out yourself by then. So far everything I plugged in worked including a USB2Ethernet and CAC reader. I would not be surprised if a USB2Serial works as well. Have a couple lying around at work, unfortunately not at home. will update this post when I can.
    There is only one specific model of USB Ethernet chip that works, and you need a third-party driver. I'd have to assume you installed that and forgot about it by now.

Also, with Windows 8.1, it's impossible to install / use that driver too.

Honestly, I'd doubt that a USB to serial device would work. Good luck with trying it though.
    09-07-2013 02:14 PM
    Thanks. Let me know what USB ethernet adapter u r using that work? My Serial USB Adapter is using FTDI chip, from their websites they stated windows 8 RT is not supported.
    09-07-2013 08:56 PM
    There is only one specific model of USB Ethernet chip that works, and you need a third-party driver. I'd have to assume you installed that and forgot about it by now.

Also, with Windows 8.1, it's impossible to install / use that driver too.

Honestly, I'd doubt that a USB to serial device would work. Good luck with trying it though.
    ah yes, correct. I remember installing drivers for Windows 7 last time. I guess it won't work then....
    09-07-2013 09:18 PM
    Thanks. Let me know what USB ethernet adapter u r using that work? My Serial USB Adapter is using FTDI chip, from their websites they stated windows 8 RT is not supported.
    It's an ancient adapter I purchased for my Wii. Here is a listing on OfficeDepot. I got it from ebay. you need to install this driver: AX88772B_772A_772_WinRT_Driver_v3.16.0.1807 driver.
    09-07-2013 09:25 PM
    It's an ancient adapter I purchased for my Wii. Here is a listing on OfficeDepot. I got it from ebay. you need to install this driver: AX88772B_772A_772_WinRT_Driver_v3.16.0.1807 driver.
    Just again, keep in mind that this will stop working when Windows RT 8.1 is released.
    09-08-2013 09:44 AM
    Yep, but I've also read that Ms may back paddle on this. Enough people complained.
    09-08-2013 11:19 AM