Windows 8.1 RTM Available for MSDN and TechNet Subscribers

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried this last night on my UK RT. I got the stage of being offered "keep files etc." or "keep nothing". No option to "keep all".

I saw similar the other day when trying to apply the wrong language ISO from MSDN for W8.1 to my desktop - English not English-UK. Could the same thing be happening on my RT? I.e. language on my RT and that of the ISO are mismatched, albeit versions of English?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
There is no option to keep "all" as it was clearly stated that some apps have to be reinstalled.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
still curious about your particular error in wsdcore.dll.
the iso with drivers correctly injected should be:
size on disk: 2.49 GB (2,679,341,056 bytes)
(note that this assumes that drivers have been correctly injected in both Index:1 and Index:2 of the boot.wim in addition to the install.wim (there are two partitions in there). )
Unfortunately I cannot find any wsdcore.dll file in the iso nor in the install.wim. There is however a wdscore.dll file. Did you mean to type that?
Here is a link to that file from a working iso. Please check if it matches the one in your iso. Please PM me if you decide to try another copy of an iso with drivers injected.

Yeah, I meant the wdscore.dll file in the sources folder of the extracted ISO, I guess. I'll try your version of the file, maybe that'll solve the problem.

Edit: I've replaced it with your copy of the file but now setup.exe is complaining about some other DLL file :( (unattend.dll)

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
There is no option to keep "all" as it was clearly stated that some apps have to be reinstalled.
Where is that stated? On the link to the instructions, the user was able to keep his apps. When I upgraded two desktops from 8.0 to 8.1 RTM I was presented three options: keep all, keep folders/settings, keep nothing.

On my RT from 8.0 to 8.1 I am just offered the latter two. I suspect we are talking at cross purposes as you upgraded from 8.1 preview to RTM. I am starting at 8.0.

So ... anyone who has actually done the 8.0 to 8.1 RTM upgrade, did you see three "keep" options, or just the two I am seeing?

Thanks.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Yes there is (but not always), see my comment below.

Where is that stated? On the link to the instructions, the user was able to keep his apps. When I upgraded two desktops from 8.0 to 8.1 RTM I was presented three options: keep all, keep folders/settings, keep nothing.

On my RT from 8.0 to 8.1 I am just offered the latter two. I suspect we are talking at cross purposes as you upgraded from 8.1 preview to RTM. I am starting at 8.0.

So ... anyone who has actually done the 8.0 to 8.1 RTM upgrade, did you see three "keep" options, or just the two I am seeing?

Thanks.

It's actually stated here Microsoft goes public with Windows 8.1 upgrade policies | ZDNet

But, it would seem that there are cases where you can upgrade without having to reinstall anything.

On my laptop running 8.1 Preview I was able to upgrade to 8.1 RTM and I had the "keep all...." option, and on my desktop running 8.0 I upgraded to 8.1 RTM and also had the "keep all....." option. Both upgrades went smoothly and no apps needed to be reinstalled and no data was lost. It was all actually very smooth.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I meant the wdscore.dll file in the sources folder of the extracted ISO, I guess. I'll try your version of the file, maybe that'll solve the problem.

Edit: I've replaced it with your copy of the file but now setup.exe is complaining about some other DLL file :( (unattend.dll)

That to me indicates you may not have the correct ISO. I can give you mine if you want to try. Did you check file size? What is the difference? Also size of ISO? Is it the same? Right click on some of the shell files and look at version details.

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I finally got it installed now using the DISM injection method.

I do have two issues though:
-The major one: WiFi has become very slooooow and the connection drops from time to time :(
-A smaller one: the Photos tile doesn't update anymore

Does someone have a solution for the WiFi issue? It worked perfect before the upgrade.

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
WiFi works perfectly fine here, just like before the upgrade. Maybe reboot the router? What was wrong with your ISO? Where the drivers not injected?

But before the upgrade WiFi worked fine and on my other devices I have no WiFi issues either so it doesn't seem a router issue to me. I dunno what was wrong with the ISO but manually injecting the bare ISO fixed it.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
My router is sometimes picky and discriminates. While all other devices work fine, a particular one may not. Eg. Your rt may have picked up a new IP and has issues on that. I am giving you possible scenarios that could be problems. A reboot of a router is certainly one possible, maybe not certain, solution. Why not try?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb