Surface RT as a Laptop Replacement

John Balacano

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys just wanna ask I am planning to buy a new computer and considering the upcoming surface rt to replace my laptop I am just a student (you know just word processing and all that)
also wanna ask if surface rt can run flash based games for (example games on facebook)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it should be able to run Flash games.

But, it's not a laptop replacement, it's a tablet.

If you buy one and then decide that you want to download and install a particular program, you'll run into problems. The only apps that will run on the tablet are those that you'll get through the Windows 8 App Store.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My Surface RT has definitely replaced my laptop. I don't even use my laptop anymore. if I need to run a legacy program i just remote in to my pc at home. And yes, flash goes work online. Some are a little slow, but they all work.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm the same. My ultrabook is hardly ever getting used these days.

But, I wouldn't use one as my only computer, I have my desktop PC for anything that requires some meat.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what you use it for. If you just want to play flash games and maybe do some homework in Word or Excel, then yes, it will replace your laptop. If you need something more advanced (like say Photoshop or InDesign) or if you do any medium to heavy gaming, then it definitely will not replace your laptop.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm the same. My ultrabook is hardly ever getting used these days.

But, I wouldn't use one as my only computer, I have my desktop PC for anything that requires some meat.

Me too. It doesn't replace a home PC, but for most people it can easily replace a laptop for mobile use.

It all depends on your specific needs. You may find the Type cover isn't good enough for your writing or you may find the Touch cover is. Only you really know what compromises you are willing to make for the sake of portability and convenience. Keep in mind you can buy an RT and a decent desktop system for about the same cost as the Surface Pro. But if you need a single device that can do it all and are on a tight budget, a laptop is still probably going to be your best option.

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
For months now I have been considering getting a Surface to replace my 400 ton, 70 year old laptop. The price on the RT is attractive, but I'm not sure it can do everything I need.

I'm a college instructor/grad student. I need to do PowerPoint presentations constantly. Can it connect to a standard A/V port?

Can I send print jobs to my department printer?

My main concern, though, is LaTeX. I do most of my writing in LaTeX format. Are there any compilers for the RT, or any good work around?

Any advice would be appreciated.

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
For months now I have been considering getting a Surface to replace my 400 ton, 70 year old laptop. The price on the RT is attractive, but I'm not sure it can do everything I need.

I'm a college instructor/grad student. I need to do PowerPoint presentations constantly. Can it connect to a standard A/V port?
Yes. You just need the appropriate micro-HDMI-to-VGA or micro-HDMI-to-HDMI adapter. MS sell them at a premium, but you can get unbranded ones for a few ?/$ on eBay.

Can I send print jobs to my department printer?
If the printer is on the same network as your RT, then yes.

My main concern, though, is LaTeX. I do most of my writing in LaTeX format. Are there any compilers for the RT, or any good work around?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Now that's a blast from the past. I haven't used LaTeX for over twenty years! Can't help you on that front I'm afraid ...

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
It's a tablet that's has a different functionality set than other tablets, not a PC. What I mean is that it can run Flash, which the iPad can not, and you can connect USB devices to it, which the iPad and most Android tablets can not, but there will come a time in your Surface RT-owning life that you will want to install something that works on Windows 8, and it won't work because it's not made. Maybe it's a simple utility or a plugin like the one that lets you use Google Hangouts. Also, the app store is very young and the availability of apps is much worse than even Windows Phone 8 at this point. Despite over 100,000 apps in the store, off the top of my head I can't think of a dozen truly top tier apps that are must-haves on the platform, and that likely won't change by the time the next Surface is released.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my decision to go RT as it suits 90% or more of my "PC"-like needs, but I will definitely be getting a Surface Pro 2 as my next device for that other 10%.

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
[...]
If anyone else has this concern, there is an app called VerbTeX Pro that can compile LaTeX. It is cloud-based, sending your .tex file to their servers to be compiled there. So far it seems to work well. The editor is not as feature-rich as TexMaker or TeXnic Center, but at least it recognizes the tags. And it compiles LaTeX on your frikkin Surface RT.

Also, there is a jailbreak that allows you to run desktop apps, and someone ported MikTeX to run on ARM. That works, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786