Dualbooting the Surface Pro (Ubuntu 12.04)

aGypsyy

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to dualboot my Surface Pro with Ubuntu 12.04, which shouldn't be much of a hassle but I'm running into problems for some reason.

What I've done so far:
- Partitioned and formatted (NTFS) the drive with 40gb dedicated to Ubuntu.
- Created bootable flashdrive with all Ubuntu 12.04 install files using UNetBootin
- Disabled secure boot in Windows 8 advanced options

Where I'm running into trouble is when I try to boot from the flashdrive. I've actually reached the Ubuntu grub menu a couple times when I was first trying this, but after choosing "install Ubuntu 12.04," I received kernel errors that were displayed in command line text form on the screen, and the installation just stopped.

Now, I can't even reach the grub menu. After rebooting into the advanced windows 8 boot menu and selecting to boot from the attached USB drive, the screen goes black as if its rebooting, and then the Surface boot screen appears and Windows 8 loads, instead of actually booting from the attached USB. I've scoured the internet looking for solutions to this but have yet to find any answers.

Any suggestions to this problem? I really need to get a linux distro working on this machine for programming needs. Thanks in advance.

aGypsyy

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't it be easier to DL VirtualBox and use an Ubuntu VM?

I mean yea it would be easier, but I've been struggling with this problem for a while and I really just want to fix the problem and get it to work. Can't quit now....And I know its possible/should be relatively easy because I've seen it done multiple times, which is the part that's most frustrating for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre