if surface rt 2 is priced at $499

John Balacano

May 2, 2013
Visit site
if surface rt 2 is priced at $499 will you buy it well in my terms I'm totally will not buy it considering if the type covers are not included or any accessory included (btw this pricing is still a rumor)

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
RT is dead, even Microsoft admits it.

Microsoft sees future for ARM-based tablets, but maybe not Windows RT

So no, never. The next Atom generation is arriving.

yeah because the "via" of that article which is Neowin totally states that Windows RT is dead /s...

That's just a sensationalist title to get clicks, and nothing in that article or Neowin one (which has more information) says anything about RT is dead....

WIndows on ARM = Windows RT... maybe they wont use that name but they want to unify the platforms, you know, bring Wp8 to Windows 8/RT not the other way around.

please next time read what you link and not only the title of an article... especially from a pathetic site like engadget.

do you understand what "unification" is at least? apparently you do, but that's totally far from "RT dead" when WP8 has a lot of WinRT elements.

Last edited by a moderator:

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Engadget is not a very credible source for Microsoft news. I'd probably rather get my tech reviews/tech news from 5 year old.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
WIndows on ARM = Windows RT... maybe they wont use that name but they want to unify the platforms, you know, bring Wp8 to Windows 8/RT not the other way around.

please next time learn how to read what you link and not only the title of an article... especially from a pathetic site like engadget.

do you understand what "unification" is at least? apparently you do, but that's totally far from "RT dead" when WP8 has a lot of WinRT elements.

Fact is: The Surface RT was a major flop. Fact is: Most manufacturers don't touch Windows RT anymore. Fact is: Market share of Windows RT is negligible. My opinion based on two Windows 8 devices I own: When Windows 8 apps are available, they are bad. Much, much worse than Windows Phone apps.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't say Windows RT is a bad product, and I'm happy for everybody who is satisfied with it. But it was a desperate attempt of Microsoft to sell tablets. They never had a chance. Windows RT is dead in its current state, and I think this for two reasons: There are very cheap (full) Windows 8 tablets and with the new Atom generation ARM will most likely not be necessary anymore in the higher price classes. And I do believe in Windows 8 tablets.

The next step, unification of Windows RT and Windows Phone is really necessary. It would bring Windows Phone to an entire new level and open the possibility of "phablets" and smaller tablets to be a success. But this won't be Windows RT in the current form.

And also: I'm using Windows Phone since the switch from Windows Mobile, and I owned Windows Mobile devices for years before. I also have 3 Windows computers, two of them with Windows 8. And I still really like Engadget, I don't see the problem you might have with this homepage.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
RT is dead, even Microsoft admits it.

Microsoft sees future for ARM-based tablets, but maybe not Windows RT

So no, never. The next Atom generation is arriving.

Microsoft commits to 'many more' Windows RT tablets | PCWorld

Microsoft: Phablets are Windows RT's future | ZDNet

"Will it always be the case that a five-inch phone must run an operating system called 'Windows Phone OS'? Or could it run something called 'Windows RT'? (Or vice versa?) What if the Windows Phone OS and Windows RT both evolve so they become, for all intents and purposes, one OS that can run on mobile devices without a desktop?"For those who thought Microsoft should have made Windows 8 more of a true desktop/laptop OS that wasn't optimized for touch tablets, and made the Windows Phone OS the operating system for touch-tablet devices, this kind of phone OS/RT convergence might be a belated dream come true.... "
So, yes, Windows RT will change. It is much more likely that Windows Phone will come up to reach RT instead of RT lowering to reach phone.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-rt/surface-2-details-emerge

Paul is actually a pretty good source, all things considered.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
[WARN] Let's try to keep the personal barbs against each other and other off topic banter to a minimum of zero, next post that I or either another moderator has to delete or edit will be receiving points [/WARN]

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a Surface RT and love it. It is a bit underpowered though.

I do think RT is going to struggle with OEMs. Microsoft will do well with it in Surface 2, especially if they push it to schools and college kids. I can't even imagine how much easier my college life would have been with a Surface RT. But OEMs seem pretty convinced of using 64 bit Windows tablets and they can even make them cheap. I think those devices are replacing what used to be the cheap netbooks.

However, OEMs biggest issue is build quality. I am sick and tired of seeing cheap, ugly Windows devices. People expect Apple like quality hardware now. They need to match that whether it be RT or 8.

jbigelow

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to sell my rt and get the surface 2. I think rt is great and they will succeed.

I won't be selling my RT, overall I'm really happy with my SurfaceRT, so I can wait for whatever the Surface 3 is. I have my dev laptop, the Surface Pro sounds good in theory but I like the lightness, low heat and battery life of the RT. I thought non-game XBox apps are/were going to be RT apps? It looks like Microsoft is playing the long game (possibly for lack of any other strategy) in RT and an app centric future. My only hope is that we either get Firefox on RT or the Cloud9 IDE starts supporting IE.

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to sell my Surface RT which I have for a few weeks now and get a Surface RT 2. But *only* if the price gets a little bit lower than $499 or the Type cover is included for $499.

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I won't be selling my RT, overall I'm really happy with my SurfaceRT, so I can wait for whatever the Surface 3 is. I have my dev laptop, the Surface Pro sounds good in theory but I like the lightness, low heat and battery life of the RT. I thought non-game XBox apps are/were going to be RT apps? It looks like Microsoft is playing the long game (possibly for lack of any other strategy) in RT and an app centric future. My only hope is that we either get Firefox on RT or the Cloud9 IDE starts supporting IE.

Firefox on RT would make the Surface rock even more IMHO. Can't wait for Firefox!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I will buy it at any price. My first Surface RT I consider the greatest investment of my life, and I completely 100% trust this one will be even better!

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If the RT2 is priced at 499$ it will fail! End of story!

What I mean is that, and mind you I sell computers and now sell the surface all of the time, the problem with the surface RT wasn't windows RT, it was the price. There pretty much aren't tablets (the exception being windows 8 tablets), that are priced at the same price as the Apple ipad. Best example is the new galaxy tab 3 10.1, there is a reason samsung made it 399$: If it isn't apple, you can't charge apple prices unless it does so much more and is really better in almost every way...

What I mean by this is the surface RT in many ways was not better than the ipad: Even though the surface RT can do office, has a kickstand, full USB port, expandable memory, it still didn't match up to the ipad in a couple of ways: Battery life (ipad still got like 1 more hour, no big deal though), Screen (this was the big one, I still haven't seen a tablet with a screen as nice as the retina), and app catalog. The rumors on the surface RT 2 is that its supposed to have a tegra 4 and a 1080p screen. If they can put this together in a package for 399$ I think it will be a real winner.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I will wait for reviews before considering buying it at 500 bucks. The thing that kept me from picking up an RT was it was under powered (views for some). The one thing I can't stand on ANY device is lag.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft blocked everything on RT required to make it happen. What you've been hearing about is a true windows 8 version with metro support, but its still a desktop app instead of a metro app. It just so happens that if you have a desktop app as your default browser it can also be a metro browser as well. Personally I think its dumb that microsoft did this, but anyway that's the deal.

Firefox on RT would make the Surface rock even more IMHO. Can't wait for Firefox!

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
$500 is automatic fail. Personally I don't like tablets. Ignoring that fact, you don't really want desktop apps on a tablet which means that RT is fine. However not everyone agrees and a lot of people want the full windows experience for some reason. The only way it would sell enough is to be pro with either an Intel or AMD chip.

If they could pull it off for $300 or so, I think it could be ok.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It's $450. However it does appear to have a lot of upgrades. 1080p, 3-4x faster, USB3.0, better camera, thinner, lighter, 25% more battery life, one year of skype premium, and 200gb of skydrive for two years. Oh and the new two-stage kickstand where it lays down flatter for better viewing. Honestly, I use my Surface RT for hours every day from the table, couch, etc. So it's hard for me to argue it's worth less. However at $450 I don't think it will move in the market like they need it to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3