10-23-2013 09:43 PM
182 1234 ...
tools
    I might've considered one if it were around the price of Samsung Galaxy Tab.
    I'd never consider an android product. So there's that.
    09-23-2013 12:48 PM
    Its bit expensive in my opinion. They shoulve kept it around 350 to make aggressive marketing like google nexus.
    09-23-2013 12:57 PM
    I'd never consider an android product. So there's that.
    I don't want an Android tablet either. I just see RT being more successful and more around the value of an Android tablet. I don't see anything else (Windows or Android) being a good seller if it costs as much as an iPad.

I also think MIcrosoft should sell the Surface 2 at a cheaper price in order to gain market share (which will then get developers interested). Then the apps will be there, and premium products could be introduced later. It's like the strategy with the Windows Phones. The market share is increasing, not so much due to high-end models, but due to entry-level models.
    aximtreo and MSFTisMIA like this.
    09-23-2013 12:58 PM
    I don't want an Android tablet either. I just see RT being more successful and more around the value of an Android tablet. I don't see anything else (Windows or Android) being a good seller if it costs as much as an iPad.

I also think MIcrosoft should sell the Surface 2 at a cheaper price in order to gain market share (which will then get developers interested). Then the apps will be there, and premium products could be introduced later. It's like the strategy with the Windows Phones. The market share is increasing, not so much due to high-end models, but due to entry-level models.
    Or maybe drop the original Surface with 8.1 lower to go after market share or be more like an entry level model. Then once they've had a taste, they might want Surface 2 or have their sights set on Surface 3.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-23-2013 01:02 PM

I must have mmisinterpreted, but are you comparing Surface 2 with entry level?
    09-23-2013 01:59 PM
    But what do you all think about the Nokia tablet coming out with similar specs with added LTE/NFC Snapdragon 800 w/ keyboard cover for $499? Seems like a better deal than the Surface2.
    09-23-2013 02:19 PM
    Just announced on reddit that the Surface 2 will launch with LTE next year
    09-23-2013 02:40 PM
    I must have mmisinterpreted, but are you comparing Surface 2 with entry level?
    RT is entry level. It's a mobile device that doesn't run x86 programs, which means Surface2 can't be more expensive than an OEM full Windows 8.1 tablet.
    09-23-2013 02:47 PM
    It would be even better without LTE, but with a keyboard for $450, $350 -$400 without. MS & Nokia just don't seem to get it that they don't have the adoption of the platform for these higher priced products yet. I hate using car analogies but again, Hyundai's were crap 10 years ago with almost no market share. They finally started making vastly better products(improved design, better quality materials, better crash ratings, better MPG, better initial & long term quality, with 10 year warranties(to alleviate fears of paying for repairs) with equal & in most cases better specs for a lot less than the market leaders. They have steadily grown market & mind share to where they are now a quantifiable alternative to the market leaders. They would have failed if they would have priced their cars at the same price as Ford, Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Mazda, etc
    MrCartas likes this.
    09-23-2013 02:50 PM
    Price isn't bad for the specs compared to android devices in that range.

And you get more function with the surface 2.
    09-23-2013 02:54 PM
    funny thing people dont complain about stupid small screen phones being more expensive than $449 but a tablet that would make more than a phone and faster its "too expensive". (we can compare to other tablets prie and features, and we will see its not bad at all)

I have good news for you... 200gb skydrive for 2 years, also free Skype calls and stuff. doesn't that sound valuable for you? what about office? that isn't valuable for you as well even though we pay a lot as "normal" windows customers for it? it even has outlook included. and of course multitasking has improved since it can display 3 apps side by side, since the resolution is higher.

I bet some people will complain about "but it cant run legacy apps" have you tried to run legacy apps in a small screen like that with touch? well its not good. most desktop apps you can find will feel bad to touch.
    but also... since its Windows RT 8.1, you can probably unlock the desktop just like windows RT 8.0.
    of course few desktop apps are available, but it can be done.

But lets have a better idea... what about if Microsoft, removes the 200gb skydrive and Skype free stuff offer, then they remove office, and you can enjoy onenote which is the only currect winrt app available. and then reduce the price that way? what do you think about they removed office so you can have a cheaper tablet?
    you can always enjoy your beloved desktop apps with the jailbreak, 7zip, dosbox, mame/finalburnalpha, rainmeter, snes9x, filezilla, free download manager, paint.net etc etc... but no office because its useless and worthless so we shouldnt pay for it. and then we can have a cheaper Tablet.
    I mean... look at iPad i guess the reason its more expensive that surface rt is for having more apps? but i guess its available to run osx apps as well? what about plug any usb device.... or external monitors with nothing more than getting a cable (no other things needed). but I guess ipad its not expensive since people buy it and apparently its better than surface.
    welll they could also make a dumb office versin like on Windows Phone and then give the surface cheaper, because who wants a full office suite anyway? like i said maybe it shouldnt have office so it would be cheaper.

last time i saw this video... and it was a simple RT 1. it would be better with RT 2 for sure.
    Last edited by _Emi_; 09-23-2013 at 03:19 PM.
    rav16 likes this.
    09-23-2013 03:06 PM
    I know Surface is "premium" but nokia devices are too. For $499 for tablet/keyboard included. I don't see the benefits of the Surface2 over the Nokia offering.
    09-23-2013 03:16 PM
    Emi, your missing the point. Most people don't care about all that extra stuff & it holds no value to them. The Surface is meant to compete against the Ipad. I'll say it again. It doesn't have the market adoption rate to sell @ or near the market leader. There are no clear benefit to get the Surface(not the Pro) for $50 less, over an already proven & established product with a ton more apps. There has to be a better value proposition to compensate for it's deficiencies.
    ZombieBacchus and JKing106 like this.
    09-23-2013 03:32 PM
    funny thing people dont complain about stupid small screen phones being more expensive than $449 but a tablet that would make more than a phone and faster its "too expensive". (we can compare to other tablets prie and features, and we will see its not bad at all)

I have good news for you... 200gb skydrive for 2 years, also free Skype calls and stuff. doesn't that sound valuable for you? what about office? that isn't valuable for you as well even though we pay a lot as "normal" windows customers for it? it even has outlook included. and of course multitasking has improved since it can display 3 apps side by side, since the resolution is higher.

I bet some people will complain about "but it cant run legacy apps" have you tried to run legacy apps in a small screen like that with touch? well its not good. most desktop apps you can find will feel bad to touch.
    but also... since its Windows RT 8.1, you can probably unlock the desktop just like windows RT 8.0.
    of course few desktop apps are available, but it can be done.

But lets have a better idea... what about if Microsoft, removes the 200gb skydrive and Skype free stuff offer, then they remove office, and you can enjoy onenote which is the only currect winrt app available. and then reduce the price that way? what do you think about they removed office so you can have a cheaper tablet?
    you can always enjoy your beloved desktop apps with the jailbreak, 7zip, dosbox, mame/finalburnalpha, rainmeter, snes9x, filezilla, free download manager, paint.net etc etc... but no office because its useless and worthless so we shouldnt pay for it. and then we can have a cheaper Tablet.
    I mean... look at iPad i guess the reason its more expensive that surface rt is for having more apps? but i guess its available to run osx apps as well? what about plug any usb device.... or external monitors with nothing more than getting a cable (no other things needed). but I guess ipad its not expensive since people buy it and apparently its better than surface.
    welll they could also make a dumb office versin like on Windows Phone and then give the surface cheaper, because who wants a full office suite anyway? like i said maybe it shouldnt have office so it would be cheaper.

last time i saw this video... and it was a simple RT 1. it would be better with RT 2 for sure.
    I loved my SurfaceRT and only sold it and switched to a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 b/c of speed. The TPT2 was a lot snappier than the SurfaceRT. Other than that I loved the SurfaceRT. I'm able to run legacy apps on the TPT2 but like you said there's no point. I guess it would be nice if I output to a monitor, but my tablet is mainly for consumption. I can't wait to test the Surface2 to see how much performance has improved, however to get a fast tablet/keyboard at $499, I think the Nokia tablet has it beat.
    09-23-2013 03:34 PM
    If the original Surface was such a compelling product over the market leader why did they write down a billions worth of inventory? They only sold 250K Surfaces. The problem wasn't because it had a crappy build quality, was too big, too thick or too heavy. The problem was it cost too much, there were no apps & the performance was not good & they seem to thought that having office was a differentiator(it wasn't then & is not now) News flash the average consumer doesn't go to a big box store looking for a tablet with it having Office on the list of things that it must have. Just doesn't happen.
    JKing106 and FinancialP like this.
    09-23-2013 03:45 PM
    Emi, your missing the point. Most people don't care about all that extra stuff & it holds no value to them. The Surface is meant to compete against the Ipad. I'll say it again. It doesn't have the market adoption rate to sell @ or near the market leader. There are no clear benefit to get the Surface(not the Pro) for $50 less, over an already proven & established product with a ton more apps. There has to be a better value proposition to compensate for it's deficiencies.
    This is what I think exactly. I see a lot of value in a surface but for the average consumer I don't see them seeing it the same way. All they will hear is no apps. Or way less than apple. All people at the store in best buy will say this and for just $50 more they can get a complete app experience with apple. 50 is not incentive enough to buy this on its own and when factoring in the cover its value is depleted and apple is the clear winner. I don't think ms will learn that price is relative and MS is just not that premium brand at his moment. Its better to take the initial hit now and win the favor with the public and get this in the hands of the masses. I would loved to see a surface 2 with cover for 399.
    09-23-2013 03:58 PM
    they should have dropped it to 399, and Surface Rt as 299. That's the selling point right there. I still need an Xbox one so I'm penny pinching. This is outrageous. Surface is competing with many tablets on the market.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    09-23-2013 04:00 PM
    I understand the difference between the RT and Pro but so many wrongs IMO.

- MS isn't apple where is can ride off sheep just by name brand.
    - Average consumer sees the Pro as tablet and not an ultrabook.
    - The RT confuses average consumers and appears lacking to techies.
    - Hard price for consumers to bit with tablets like ipads and Androids having massive appstores.

Myself I would never buy an ipad or a malware infested Droid tablet but average consumers look at things like... OMG this android tablet is $200 and has 10x the apps.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    09-23-2013 04:31 PM
    Price is perfect, stop complaining about the damn price. If you want something cheaper go buy a cheap android tablet. The fact that they lowered it by $50 compared to last year is awesome, the fact that you get 200 GB of skydrive plus Skype is another amazing deal, plus Office, plus the superior build quality....It pisses me off that people STILL complain about the price when the fact is that if you compare it to ANY other tablet it, it jut destroys it. Ohhhhhhhh no the lack of Apps, peopel need to also remember that the App store is a year old. Most of the apps are there too. The lack of apps excuse is also getting old.
    rav16 likes this.
    09-23-2013 04:32 PM

Well first, I would never throw down $499 on a phone, let alone more than that. That's just dumb.

Second, put into this perspective. I recently replaced my mom's old Laptop with a pretty decent one, for $550. For that I got her a fully functioning laptop with a good Quad core processor, 500GB of HDD, 8GB of RAM, WIn8 Pro 64bit, 2 usb slots, HDMI, SD slot, and a full keyboard. All for $550. Sure it doesn't have a touch screen, but in no way would I ever said "sure tack on an extra $400" just to add a a touch screen.

With that in mind, I can't see the justification of buying a Surface, when I can get a Laptop for just as much that does all that and more, minus the touch screen.
    MrCartas, FinancialP and JKing106 like this.
    09-23-2013 04:33 PM
    Price is perfect, stop complaining about the damn price. If you want something cheaper go buy a cheap android tablet. The fact that they lowered it by $50 compared to last year is awesome, the fact that you get 200 GB of skydrive plus Skype is another amazing deal, plus Office, plus the superior build quality....It pisses me off that people STILL complain about the price when the fact is that if you compare it to ANY other tablet it, it jut destroys it. Ohhhhhhhh no the lack of Apps, peopel need to also remember that the App store is a year old. Most of the apps are there too. The lack of apps excuse is also getting old.
    200GB SkyDrive is worthless for people who aren't interested in cloud storage. The fact that it is only for "2 years" means that this is only temporary space... and a hidden hook to part the customer with more of their money if they want to that space after the 2 years is up.

Skype is also worthless for those who wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Build quality is indeed outstanding. However, Windows-based devices are a commodity market... price is the top priority for most consumers interested in a Windows-based device. Build quality and engineering is worth something to me and so I appreciate the Surface RT for what it is.

As for the apps, people don't "need to also remember" squat. They simply won't buy a Surface if the apps aren't there. And as much as I believe that the Surface is far superior to iPads and Android tablets in terms of build quality, hardware capabilities, and operating system, there is still a pitifully small number of "quality" apps available.
    09-23-2013 05:07 PM
    200GB SkyDrive is worthless for people who aren't interested in cloud storage. The fact that it is only for "2 years" means that this is only temporary space... and a hidden hook to part the customer with more of their money if they want to that space after the 2 years is up.

Skype is also worthless for those who wouldn't buy it in the first place.

Build quality is indeed outstanding. However, Windows-based devices are a commodity market... price is the top priority for most consumers interested in a Windows-based device. Build quality and engineering is worth something to me and so I appreciate the Surface RT for what it is.

As for the apps, people don't "need to also remember" squat. They simply won't buy a Surface if the apps aren't there. And as much as I believe that the Surface is far superior to iPads and Android tablets in terms of build quality, hardware capabilities, and operating system, there is still a pitifully small number of "quality" apps available.
    I think the 200 GB SkyDrive storage for 2 years is actually a great marketing idea. Get consumers hooked on SkyDrive, and then they will have no choice but to pay when the 2 years are up, since they will not have the time or inclination to move all those files to local storage.

As for Skype, I agree. It will be a great deal for some folks, but others will not have any use for it.
    rdubmu likes this.
    09-23-2013 06:00 PM
    they should have dropped it to 399, and Surface Rt as 299. That's the selling point right there. I still need an Xbox one so I'm penny pinching. This is outrageous. Surface is competing with many tablets on the market.
    According to their reddit, you can get an additional $44.90 off the Surface2.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...oft-store.html

I'm sold and will purchase it now.
    09-23-2013 06:29 PM
    wait... so the Surface Pro 2 512gb unit is the only with 8gb of RAM? the other Surface Pro 2 models have 4gb or RAM?
    09-23-2013 07:58 PM
    $449 is a fair price for the Surface 2.
    09-23-2013 08:19 PM
182 1234 ...