10-23-2013 09:43 PM
182 ... 678
tools
    @JKing106
    Your opening paragraph is condescending and presumptuous. You then tried to tell me what my thinking is.

I was just trying to explain pricing, not be a cheerleader or call you a troll. People seem to want to look at raw component costs when that is no where near the total cost to produce a product. I design products for a living; I see where the costs are. Just explaining that.

If MS prices like the cheapo tablet products they will lose money and be considered crap. Why go bottom feeding and leave money on the table while destroying your brandname? It won't help the platform in the long term. Making a good product will, and Microsoft is playing a long-game, like they always do. I do doubt that MS is getting Apple's margins on Surface.

My decision to buy a Surface or any other tablet or gadget will never make any rational, defensible financial sense anymore than my decision to buy Forza 4 did because it is just a want that doesn't serve a purpose other than being what I want; a luxury.
    Indeed, it's as Steve Jobs said so many years ago, "Apple doesn't care too much about building up marketshare. Our focus is on building great products that we can recommend to our family and friends, that we're proud to own. We'll try and make those premium products as affordable as we can, but we don't want to sell junk." Then, when Apple later unveiled things like the iPhone and iPad, that whole image of high quality and premium products really helped out. Say what you want about Apple, but they have one hell of a brand. At this point, they could literally sell crap and still make millions.

Now, Microsoft is trying to rise from the ashes of Vista and its legacy of viruses and the BSOD, to make a brand name image for itself. Panos even said, "I can't stress this enough, the Surface isn't for everyone. Surface is great for watching movies, sure, but we designed this product to help people get stuff done, to be productive, all in a high quality package. If that's not what you're looking for, I'm sorry, but this just isn't for you, and that's fine."
    10-18-2013 03:51 PM
    Exactly. A lot less people saw the value in the Surface RT that Microsoft saw. That's why they sold about 25% of what they expected to sell.
    Yeah especially joining the tablet world years after the competition has been dominating....You really expected Microsoft to sell like Apple or Android? get real kid...Surface came out with a brand new App store that didnt have a whole lot. Look at it now, a year later. Its a huge difference.

I wouldnt take an iPad for free "and i owned one before" Because its crap lol, but hey thats my opinion.
    10-18-2013 04:17 PM
    Fanboyism is just narcissism, and to tie one's self esteem to an inanimate object or corporation is a mental illness. It's not a crime to admit something you like isn't perfect, or to criticize it in hopes the manufacturer will improve it. No one insulted anyone's mother, you know.
    tgp and fc000 like this.
    10-22-2013 08:51 PM
    Yeah especially joining the tablet world years after the competition has been dominating....You really expected Microsoft to sell like Apple or Android? get real kid...Surface came out with a brand new App store that didnt have a whole lot. Look at it now, a year later. Its a huge difference.

I wouldnt take an iPad for free "and i owned one before" Because its crap lol, but hey thats my opinion.
    That's a pretty ridiculous statement, especially considering the situation of getting an iPad for free, it could easily be sold... And while the app store has most definitely improved, it still has a long way to go.

After the iPad mini retina announcement setting it at a $399 price tag to start, I wen't back on picking one up in favour of a Surface 2.

I swung by the Microsoft Kiosk to grab one, but after playing with the display model, I've decided to hold off again. The hardware is amazing; it's thing and light, and the new grey case looks great, but something still feels off about Windows 8.1 RT, so I think I'll wait a bit longer.
    10-22-2013 09:52 PM
    That's a pretty ridiculous statement, especially considering the situation of getting an iPad for free, it could easily be sold... And while the app store has most definitely improved, it still has a long way to go.

After the iPad mini retina announcement setting it at a $399 price tag to start, I wen't back on picking one up in favour of a Surface 2.

I swung by the Microsoft Kiosk to grab one, but after playing with the display model, I've decided to hold off again. The hardware is amazing; it's thing and light, and the new grey case looks great, but something still feels off about Windows 8.1 RT, so I think I'll wait a bit longer.
    So you prefer spedning $399 on a ipad mini? lmao........seriously?
    10-23-2013 06:11 AM
    So you prefer spedning $399 on a ipad mini? lmao........seriously?
    No need to critique, if the iPad works best for him, then let it be.

I'm tired of people comparing Surface to an iPad, they're targeting different markets. The iPad is meant to consume media in a fast efficient way, it's built from iTunes up to deliver great media content to you in a streamlined, fast and stable manner. The Surface line-up, meanwhile, is meant to connect you to Microsoft's incredible suite of productivity apps to provide unmatched mobile work efficiency. If you're looking for a tablet to just watch movies, play games and casually browse the web, the Surface will do that just fine. However, it's rather expensive to be doing so little, when things like the iPad many Android tablets, and of course, Bay Trail tablets can do the same for a good deal cheaper.

It's like comparing a minivan to a Ferrari. Sure, both can drive you around and generally accomplish the same things, but both are designed with different market goals in mind. The iPad provides media content in a great curated way, and lets not forget just how much media content it's sitting on. It's meant to enjoy the work of others, to consume what has already been made, perhaps with a quick email or Word edit here and there. The Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 are for the ones who want to get things done, no matter when or where, they want to full power of Windows productivity tools to always be at their finger tips, just with an occasional movie or game on the side.

They both seek out very different people. They have some overlap, but are overall separate entities. It's time the market treats it as such. I have Surface Pro 2 and I love it. Having so much raw power always with me is such a rush. Sure, I might not have Candy Crush and whatnot, but what I do have is a device that will let me be productive on a scale I previously couldn't even imagine on my laptop. However, most don't need that, and that's perfectly fine.

Find what works best for you and your needs, thus is the wisdom of Swimswim.
    HeyCori and jmerrey like this.
    10-23-2013 09:36 PM
    Fanboyism is just narcissism, and to tie one's self esteem to an inanimate object or corporation is a mental illness. It's not a crime to admit something you like isn't perfect, or to criticize it in hopes the manufacturer will improve it. No one insulted anyone's mother, you know.
    Agreed.
    10-23-2013 09:43 PM
182 ... 678