What do you think about the price?

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
32 id $449, old TC cover $79, new TC $119, don't know 64 probably $100 bucks more. So with new TC cover the 64 version will be around $669... Should be $500 - $550

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The Surface and type cover for $449 is a bit too much to ask for. A little unrealistic to expect it for that price.

I'd say it needs to do more than include Office if it is going to be priced like an iPad. The apps for Surface are still lacking. Some people might like getting Office; however, Office is not that big of a draw for everyone.

I haven't used Office in over a month for personal use. Office is more of a business tool, but it isn't something that consumers really use all that often.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it needs to do more than include Office if it is going to be priced like an iPad. The apps for Surface are still lacking. Some people might like getting Office; however, Office is not that big of a draw for everyone.

I haven't used Office in over a month for personal use. Office is more of a business tool, but it isn't something that consumers really use all that often.

It's not like you're thinking about buying one anyway. :wink: And I know many people that use Office during football season for keeping up with pools, squares, leagues, stats, etc.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I also worry about the next iPad. If the graphics chip easily outperforms the Tegra 4 then the $449 price tag is going to hurt them even more.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's not like you're thinking about buying one anyway. :wink: And I know many people that use Office during football season for keeping up with pools, squares, leagues, stats, etc.
I might've considered one if it were around the price of Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd never consider an android product. So there's that.
I don't want an Android tablet either. I just see RT being more successful and more around the value of an Android tablet. I don't see anything else (Windows or Android) being a good seller if it costs as much as an iPad.

I also think MIcrosoft should sell the Surface 2 at a cheaper price in order to gain market share (which will then get developers interested). Then the apps will be there, and premium products could be introduced later. It's like the strategy with the Windows Phones. The market share is increasing, not so much due to high-end models, but due to entry-level models.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't want an Android tablet either. I just see RT being more successful and more around the value of an Android tablet. I don't see anything else (Windows or Android) being a good seller if it costs as much as an iPad.

I also think MIcrosoft should sell the Surface 2 at a cheaper price in order to gain market share (which will then get developers interested). Then the apps will be there, and premium products could be introduced later. It's like the strategy with the Windows Phones. The market share is increasing, not so much due to high-end models, but due to entry-level models.

Or maybe drop the original Surface with 8.1 lower to go after market share or be more like an entry level model. Then once they've had a taste, they might want Surface 2 or have their sights set on Surface 3.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I must have mmisinterpreted, but are you comparing Surface 2 with entry level?

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
But what do you all think about the Nokia tablet coming out with similar specs with added LTE/NFC Snapdragon 800 w/ keyboard cover for $499? Seems like a better deal than the Surface2.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It would be even better without LTE, but with a keyboard for $450, $350 -$400 without. MS & Nokia just don't seem to get it that they don't have the adoption of the platform for these higher priced products yet. I hate using car analogies but again, Hyundai's were crap 10 years ago with almost no market share. They finally started making vastly better products(improved design, better quality materials, better crash ratings, better MPG, better initial & long term quality, with 10 year warranties(to alleviate fears of paying for repairs) with equal & in most cases better specs for a lot less than the market leaders. They have steadily grown market & mind share to where they are now a quantifiable alternative to the market leaders. They would have failed if they would have priced their cars at the same price as Ford, Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Mazda, etc

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Price isn't bad for the specs compared to android devices in that range.

And you get more function with the surface 2.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
funny thing people dont complain about stupid small screen phones being more expensive than $449 but a tablet that would make more than a phone and faster its "too expensive". (we can compare to other tablets prie and features, and we will see its not bad at all)

I have good news for you... 200gb skydrive for 2 years, also free Skype calls and stuff. doesn't that sound valuable for you? what about office? that isn't valuable for you as well even though we pay a lot as "normal" windows customers for it? it even has outlook included. and of course multitasking has improved since it can display 3 apps side by side, since the resolution is higher.

I bet some people will complain about "but it cant run legacy apps" have you tried to run legacy apps in a small screen like that with touch? well its not good. most desktop apps you can find will feel bad to touch.
but also... since its Windows RT 8.1, you can probably unlock the desktop just like windows RT 8.0.
of course few desktop apps are available, but it can be done.

But lets have a better idea... what about if Microsoft, removes the 200gb skydrive and Skype free stuff offer, then they remove office, and you can enjoy onenote which is the only currect winrt app available. and then reduce the price that way? what do you think about they removed office so you can have a cheaper tablet?
you can always enjoy your beloved desktop apps with the jailbreak, 7zip, dosbox, mame/finalburnalpha, rainmeter, snes9x, filezilla, free download manager, paint.net etc etc... but no office because its useless and worthless so we shouldnt pay for it. and then we can have a cheaper Tablet.
I mean... look at iPad i guess the reason its more expensive that surface rt is for having more apps? but i guess its available to run osx apps as well? what about plug any usb device.... or external monitors with nothing more than getting a cable (no other things needed). but I guess ipad its not expensive since people buy it and apparently its better than surface.
welll they could also make a dumb office versi?n like on Windows Phone and then give the surface cheaper, because who wants a full office suite anyway? like i said maybe it shouldnt have office so it would be cheaper.

last time i saw this video... and it was a simple RT 1. it would be better with RT 2 for sure.
Why I love my Microsoft Surface RT - YouTube

Last edited:

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I know Surface is "premium" but nokia devices are too. For $499 for tablet/keyboard included. I don't see the benefits of the Surface2 over the Nokia offering.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Emi, your missing the point. Most people don't care about all that extra stuff & it holds no value to them. The Surface is meant to compete against the Ipad. I'll say it again. It doesn't have the market adoption rate to sell @ or near the market leader. There are no clear benefit to get the Surface(not the Pro) for $50 less, over an already proven & established product with a ton more apps. There has to be a better value proposition to compensate for it's deficiencies.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
funny thing people dont complain about stupid small screen phones being more expensive than $449 but a tablet that would make more than a phone and faster its "too expensive". (we can compare to other tablets prie and features, and we will see its not bad at all)

I have good news for you... 200gb skydrive for 2 years, also free Skype calls and stuff. doesn't that sound valuable for you? what about office? that isn't valuable for you as well even though we pay a lot as "normal" windows customers for it? it even has outlook included. and of course multitasking has improved since it can display 3 apps side by side, since the resolution is higher.

I bet some people will complain about "but it cant run legacy apps" have you tried to run legacy apps in a small screen like that with touch? well its not good. most desktop apps you can find will feel bad to touch.
but also... since its Windows RT 8.1, you can probably unlock the desktop just like windows RT 8.0.
of course few desktop apps are available, but it can be done.

But lets have a better idea... what about if Microsoft, removes the 200gb skydrive and Skype free stuff offer, then they remove office, and you can enjoy onenote which is the only currect winrt app available. and then reduce the price that way? what do you think about they removed office so you can have a cheaper tablet?
you can always enjoy your beloved desktop apps with the jailbreak, 7zip, dosbox, mame/finalburnalpha, rainmeter, snes9x, filezilla, free download manager, paint.net etc etc... but no office because its useless and worthless so we shouldnt pay for it. and then we can have a cheaper Tablet.
I mean... look at iPad i guess the reason its more expensive that surface rt is for having more apps? but i guess its available to run osx apps as well? what about plug any usb device.... or external monitors with nothing more than getting a cable (no other things needed). but I guess ipad its not expensive since people buy it and apparently its better than surface.
welll they could also make a dumb office versi?n like on Windows Phone and then give the surface cheaper, because who wants a full office suite anyway? like i said maybe it shouldnt have office so it would be cheaper.

last time i saw this video... and it was a simple RT 1. it would be better with RT 2 for sure.
Why I love my Microsoft Surface RT - YouTube

I loved my SurfaceRT and only sold it and switched to a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 b/c of speed. The TPT2 was a lot snappier than the SurfaceRT. Other than that I loved the SurfaceRT. I'm able to run legacy apps on the TPT2 but like you said there's no point. I guess it would be nice if I output to a monitor, but my tablet is mainly for consumption. I can't wait to test the Surface2 to see how much performance has improved, however to get a fast tablet/keyboard at $499, I think the Nokia tablet has it beat.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the original Surface was such a compelling product over the market leader why did they write down a billions worth of inventory? They only sold 250K Surfaces. The problem wasn't because it had a crappy build quality, was too big, too thick or too heavy. The problem was it cost too much, there were no apps & the performance was not good & they seem to thought that having office was a differentiator(it wasn't then & is not now) News flash the average consumer doesn't go to a big box store looking for a tablet with it having Office on the list of things that it must have. Just doesn't happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss