Are you going to buy a Microsoft Surface 2 Tablet?

MattMamba2012

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
I was really considering a Surface 2 until Dells announcement today. Im gonna have to go with a Venue 8 Pro. Would have really liked a Surface Mini. Damn...

P40L0

Banned
May 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm already a Surface RT owner, and I don't have any need to buy another Surface because:

1) 1080p on a 10.1 Display won't be so noticeable compared to the already good RT 720p Display;
2) 720p streaming video loads faster with slower internet connection speed, and looks better on 720p display compared to a 1080p one (no upscaling);
3) I don't need USB 3.0 , the big file transfers happen with my miniSD Card;
4) With a bit of settings/registry/services tweaking and with Windows 8.1 RT RTM my RT, performance wise, stll flies: apps load up instantly (with 8.1 fast resume), and every single animation, from OS to Apps, is ALWAYS smooth, and Microsoft will keep to optimize drivers and OS even further with GDRs , 8.2 , and so on;
5) IE11 with TPLs is a rocket even on RT;
6) Touch/Type Cover 2 work with my RT too;
7) The 1 way Kickstand is ok for me;
8) I absolutely prefer the Black Colour instead of Silver;
9) Surface 2 still has 2GB RAM, still no 3g/LTE, still no stylus;
10) I'm just already so happy with my RT... :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
well if its a touch cover probably but a type cover thats a toss up

iive been seeing first gen touchcov on ebay for 50ish. I tried the new tc. the sensors are so much more accurate now that it doesn't skip like tc. and im using the orig tc right now and I have to press down really hard to get it working. itsannying. <-- see

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I was really considering a Surface 2 until Dells announcement today. Im gonna have to go with a Venue 8 Pro. Would have really liked a Surface Mini. Damn...

the DVP is almost perfect. I saw the flat keyboard cover, and it looked cheap. it had no kickstand, but a separate one, so it was rushed and cheap. But for a 299 for a full windows 8 is tempting. Lets just see about the battery life

And doesn't it also have active digitizer ?

StuBeck

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it does have an active digitizer. I actually have to change my comment from earlier. I found a Surface Pro 128 GB on eBay earlier today for $550 and snapped at the opportunity. I'm losing the new screen, the better kickstand, and the ridiculous battery life, but the active digitizer is huge for me personally, as well as the ability to run some of my Windows apps that aren't in the Windows store yet.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I want a Surface 2, but the price and the lack of 128GB option are trying to turn me off. I might have to settle for the Surface RT since I know that the price is only going down.

...But I want that VaporMg color.

I suppose storage is a bit of an issue, but support for Micro SD cards plus the ability to plug in external storage via USB helps quite a bit. Besides, Surface RT more a well-designed device than a great device all around. It's usable (and I use mine regularly) but it is noticeably slow and will even totally hang up or freeze sometimes.

That doesn't happen all the time, but it will happen sometimes. You just get a sense that the internals can't back the potential of Surface

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
So you want the Pro 2 then? Because Surface 2 doesn't go above 64GB.

But as I said above, that is very much expandable via Micro SD and external storage, though obviously those solutions lack some of the convenience of internal storage

StuBeck

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know the improvements in the type cover? Clearly the Touch cover has been greatly enhanced, but the touch cover seems to be a bit thinner (not a big deal) and have a backlight, but not much else. I'm wondering if it makes sense to just buy a 1st gen Type Cover for a bit cheaper.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The new type cover is thinner (and therefore the keys have a little less travel) and they are using a different keyswitch which is much quieter than the first version, so the keyboard is apparently nearly silent to type on.

Also it is of course backlit, which is a small change but a big deal for me personally.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Anyone know the improvements in the type cover? Clearly the Touch cover has been greatly enhanced, but the touch cover seems to be a bit thinner (not a big deal) and have a backlight, but not much else. I'm wondering if it makes sense to just buy a 1st gen Type Cover for a bit cheaper.
I currently have a TouchCover1, but I'm eager to try a TypeCover2. According the Panay's comments on the Surface 2 press event, the TypeCover2 is now the same thickness as the TouchCover1. What I'm unsure about is whether the Type cover 2 has the same increase in the number of sensors as the Touch cover 2.

We'll hopefully find out when they are released.

the_coolestnerd

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
i only see the touch cover as a small upgrade, backlit and more senseitive, not worth me spending $120, much rather spend 30-50 for a first gen of ebay

StuBeck

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Touch cover seems like a big upgrade, but type doesn't really. I'm hoping someone who used one in store can give their thoughts :)

jason8957

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Ordered at Microsoft store in Austin on Wednesday.
My reasons for choosing this over the Surface Pro 2 or other (ipad, android devices) were:
  • Office and Outlook included
  • 1080p (improvement over Surface RT)
  • Price, I can't really afford the Pro
  • The OS
  • USB connectivity
  • Skydrive space
  • Brand name (probably higher quality than 99% of android tablets and other windows tablets)
  • Type cover
  • I can't see anything that I need/want that isn't covered by existing apps and web browser.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I got my Surface RT day 1 in Australia and due to the currency conversion paid more than US pricing. So I am in the same boat as you. To be honest, I don't have any issues with my Surface RT today. My issue is me, getting the Surface 2 is a want, not a need. :D

Same here. Might go for the Surface 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs