Are you going to buy a Microsoft Surface 2 Tablet?

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Can anybody tell me, why Microsoft decided not to include Office and Outlook(for free) into the Surface pro 2?

With the Surface 2, it is an important part of their value proposition. See, because they don't have any market share in tablets and also because they want to push Windows RT, they are trying to do everything they can to position Surface 2/RT as tablets that are capable of doing some of the things a laptop would do. But they also know that most people who want to use office professionally are probably going to want full Windows (this also ties into why they are putting Office on 8" devices, as they are not ideal for using it, but including it adds to perceive value)

So basically they want to sell you on their services, but they are willing to make sacrifices to push people onto Surface in place of a traditional consumption device.

Or that's my take on it anyway

hysonmb

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
No. I own a Pro and while I like the "smaller, lighter" aspects of the RT version, it's crazy to carry both around so I'm sticking with what I've got.
The Pro 2 has some nice upgrades but not enough to justify the cost of replacing the one I just bought in Feb so I'm just getting the PowerCover and maybe a TouchCover 2 from this cycle.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I second Maurismantean..the price is too high..in spite of knowing where u standing the market and what people think of your OS.

Sent from NOKIA LUMIA 820!

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I second Maurismantean..the price is too high..in spite of knowing where u standing the market and what people think of your OS.

Sent from NOKIA LUMIA 820!
I third this.
I still have to save money for a 3DS, Pokemon X AND Y, and a possible 808 PureView.

I won't buy a Surface Mini because the Start Screen is best on a large screen.

P.S. I haven't seen you for a while.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I third this.
I still have to save money for a 3DS, Pokemon X AND Y, and a possible 808 PureView.

I won't buy a Surface Mini because the Start Screen is best on a large screen.

P.S. I haven't seen you for a while.

Hey man..what's up..yea...haven't had the time to come here lately...been a little busy with work...how are u...

Sent from my iPad Mini!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm busy here, too.

With school and all, I barely,have any time to go here, much less to raise enough money to buy a Surface 2 by June next year.

Oh like that..hmm...but I may be saving for one of the two...Nokia Tablet, which I think will be slightly more reasonable or the Surface Mini. Sick of iOS7 and it's horrid imitation of Android.

Sent from my iPad Mini!

the_coolestnerd

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Even though I'm still a little iffy about getting the surface 2 (I did pre order one though) I think it'll be a good machine, I was a little worried there wasn't a torrent downloader for RT but found one. Now of if there better .mkv support I'd be set

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh like that..hmm...but I may be saving for one of the two...Nokia Tablet, which I think will be slightly more reasonable or the Surface Mini. Sick of iOS7 and it's horrid imitation of Android.

Sent from my iPad Mini!
You know it's funny, from the moment I saw iOS 7, I immediately thought 'it looks like they are trying to make it more like Android', and yet no one in the press made that connection and neither did any of my friends. That's not to say that Apple didn't include some really good features, just that they were clearly taking inspiration from Android. I also find it curious that most of the comparisons that have been made have been to Windows Phone when I honestly feel that was not a strong influence on the design of iOS7.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You know it's funny, from the moment I saw iOS 7, I immediately thought 'it looks like they are trying to make it more like Android', and yet no one in the press made that connection and neither did any of my friends. That's not to say that Apple didn't include some really good features, just that they were clearly taking inspiration from Android. I also find it curious that most of the comparisons that have been made have been to Windows Phone when I honestly feel that was not a strong influence on the design of iOS7.

Absolutely man! That's the Power of Apple...if you will..they dare not say anything against the fruit company or their seven generations will die of hunger...
What also ticked me off is this: Shamesung prices its "NOTE 3" or whatever that garbage is called for Rs 50k here in India. Everyone is fine with it. But when Lumia 1020 was announced for the same price, all hell broke lose in the Indian market. Even renowned tech bloggers started questioning WP. WoW! Just WOw! It's OK for Shamesung to price it's plastic trash for 50K, but if anyone dares price a real innovation with pure premium hardware at that price, they are sure to go to hell.

Sorry OP for the rant..didnt mean to hijack your thread.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I've heard the smartphone market is a bit different in India than it is here in the US.

What I've heard is that phones aren't subsidized over there, so you have to pay full price for phones (which is something I do anyway), and this has caused people to buy fewer top-tier smartphones. Is that correct?

Anyway, I think as the underdog there is a perception that to be worth investing in, Windows Phones must be priced lower than the competition, and I suppose that's fair enough, but there are several models hitting that low end of the market already and offering great value. To suggest that a phone like the Lumia 1020 with a feature as amazing as 41 megapixel sensor does not belong in the same price range as another top-tier phone is insane. This is not a phone meant for the mass market, it is a niche device for amateur photographers, and a very high quality one.

Edit: whoops, that was a run-on sentence to end all run-on sentences. Don't call the grammar police!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I've heard the smartphone market is a bit different in India than it is here in the US.

What I've heard is that phones aren't subsidized over there, so you have to pay full price for phones (which is something I do anyway), and this has caused people to buy fewer top-tier smartphones. Is that correct?

Anyway, I think as the underdog there is a perception that to be worth investing in, Windows Phones must be priced lower than the competition, and I suppose that's fair enough, but there are several models hitting that low end of the market already and offering great value. To suggest that a phone like the Lumia 1020 with a feature as amazing as 41 megapixel sensor does not belong in the same price range as another top-tier phone is insane. This is not a phone meant for the mass market, it is a niche device for amateur photographers, and a very high quality one.

Edit: whoops, that was a run-on sentence to end all run-on sentences. Don't call the grammar police!

Haha..I realised that too...and I don't need to call the grammar police, I AM THE GRAMMAR POLICE, been doing copywriting for the last 5 years.. :p

Anyways ..yes, you are correct again. There r no subsidised prices for phones. There are no contracts on phones. The phones are sold at their full price, and that too a couple of thousands higher than the full price elsewhere. Do you know which is the most sold and sort after WP device...the Lumia 520. It's the lowest end device, with barely any specs. There are very few people who want a 920/925. Walk into any store, big or small, all you will be hearing the sales rep talking about is Shamesung. That's all they want to sell...if u ask about a WP, suddenly their interest drops in you.

Sent from my iPad Mini!

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You really hate Samsung, don't you? I don't love them, but their devices aren't crap... Just not what I'd choose personally. That said, I recently have gotten some hands-on time with an Ativ S and was surprised by what a nice Windows Phone it is.

And the fact that the Lumia 520 is selling well is great! That phone may not be even close to on par with high end Lumias, but it offers way better value than any other phone in it's price range. It's a great way to introduce people to Windows Phone and hopefully build enough interest that they'll buy something better for their second WP handset.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You really hate Samsung, don't you? I don't love them, but their devices aren't crap... Just not what I'd choose personally. That said, I recently have gotten some hands-on time with an Ativ S and was surprised by what a nice Windows Phone it is.

And the fact that the Lumia 520 is selling well is great! That phone may not be even close to on par with high end Lumias, but it offers way better value than any other phone in it's price range. It's a great way to introduce people to Windows Phone and hopefully build enough interest that they'll buy something better for their second WP handset.

Yes. Absolutely. Absolutely detest that name. Copy cats, cheap plastic that is sold for a premium...anyways..

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The RT is perfect for me speed is great everything is snappy will get even better by 8.1 and some future updates (under locked processor, etc) I feel like upgrading would be a waste of money as the RT does everything I need AND more

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You know, even though I'm ditching mine completely because there's something newer and shinier, it makes me really happy to see people having Surface RTs and loving them. It's a great and highly under-rated device... Though all the improvements are welcome ones in my book.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I am going to get one in a heart beat. They have taken what was a wolf in sheeps clothing and made it even better. Oh dear I seem to be sound like apple. MS have made the new surface 2 thinner, lighter, faster and better. The best surface tablet ever ! Hahah.

But yeah the new kick stand feature is welcome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss