Storage and Touch vs. Type cover questions

Gus82

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

Long time reader of the WPC forums, first time poster.
I am looking at the pre-order page of the Surface 2 and I have few questions that I would like to run by the knowledgeable WPC community.

Trying to decide between Type and Touch covers:

1. You guys will laugh about this questions but, can the keys of the Type cover touch the screen when folded? --I don't know anyone who owns a Surface and I'd like to know if the key can hurt the screen. I would guess that Microsoft is far, far better than that but, I really can't confirm anywhere!--I have a friend who owns an iPads where the cover they use has slightly scratched the screen.
  2. Will the Touch cover consume less power than the Type cover?-- is their power consumption negligible?
  3. Is there any advantage on getting a Touch and not a Type cover? (other than the $10 less you pay)

Trying to decide between the 32 and 64 GB:

1. How much free space will the 32 GB Surface 2 have available for apps?
  2. Can apps be downloaded into a MicroSD card?
  3. I was told the biggest MicroSD card I can use in the Surface 2 is 256 GB. Is this correct?
  4. What is a good brand of MicroSD card?

Any guidance will be much appreciated!

anon5351951

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1. The original type cover touches the screen with the keys, however I'm unsure If type cover 2 will do the same, as I think they added fabric to the border.
2.I'm no expert but I assume they would use about the same. Though with more sensors, the touch cover will have to send slightly more data but I doubt you'd notice.
3. IMO the type cover is a lot better... Best to practice on a touch cover in a store or something, because they do feel strange and you'll be faster on the type.

1. Free space on 32 is 18GB I believe.
2. If it's anything like windows phone, you won't be able to download apps onto SD. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't implement something like this but don't take my word for it.
3. Sorry don't know this one.
4. Don't know this either :p

Hope this helps.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Answers in blue
Hello!

Long time reader of the WPC forums, first time poster.
I am looking at the pre-order page of the Surface 2 and I have few questions that I would like to run by the knowledgeable WPC community.

Trying to decide between Type and Touch covers:

1. You guys will laugh about this questions but, can the keys of the Type cover touch the screen when folded? --I don't know anyone who owns a Surface and I'd like to know if the key can hurt the screen. I would guess that Microsoft is far, far better than that but, I really can't confirm anywhere!--I have a friend who owns an iPads where the cover they use has slightly scratched the screen.
    The SRT and S2 screens are made of Gorilla Glass 2. the keys of the TypeCover will not scratch the screen. They might smudge the screen as oils from your fingers will transfer to the screen... but they can easily be wiped off.
  2. Will the Touch cover consume less power than the Type cover?-- is their power consumption negligible?
    I have no specifics on that, but I believe that the power consumption is the same... it is simply the manner in which the sensors are triggered that differ.
  3. Is there any advantage on getting a Touch and not a Type cover? (other than the $10 less you pay)
    The TouchCover is less expensive and it is thinner than the TypeCover. The TouchCover is a single piece so any crumbs or liquids will not find its way under keycaps (because there are none). Also, with the TouchCover2 having over 1000 sensors that are not keyboard-specific in layout, expect the introduction of apps that will use the entire TouchCover as one big trackpad. I have a TouchCover for my RT and I'm impressed with how well it works, I can only imagine that the TouchCover2 is that much better.

Trying to decide between the 32 and 64 GB:

1. How much free space will the 32 GB Surface 2 have available for apps?
    I have 16 GB free on my RT running 8.1. I could free up another 3GB by removing the recovery partition.
  2. Can apps be downloaded into a MicroSD card?
    There is a patch floating around that allows that under 8.0. I have not tried it with 8.1.
  3. I was told the biggest MicroSD card I can use in the Surface 2 is 256 GB. Is this correct?
    I'm only seeing 64GB as the largest supported microSD card for the Surface... maybe the Surface Pro supports larger.
  4. What is a good brand of MicroSD card?
    I've had good experience with most common brands, Lexar, Sandisk, etc. I've never experienced any problems with any microSD cards.

Any guidance will be much appreciated!

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have another question for the covers. Do they 'latch' securely (like a magnetic latch). The iPad has a cover that can close magnetically. Does the Surface cover do the same, or will there will be an open gap when you cover the screen?

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
No, the covers don't latch in place. I've never found this to be problematic, and it really shouldn't be a deal breaker as these covers are really great and surprisingly comfortable keyboards considering their small size. I compared my touch cover side by side to a netbook keyboard and the difference was night and day as far my comfort typing went.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre