Surface2 FIrst Impressions

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
After visiting my local MS Store I can honestly say that the Surface2 is really an upgrade from the SurfaceRT. App launching on the desktop and in metro is night and day compared to the SurfaceRT. I can actually see my self outputting to an external monitor now. Something simple as launching Word or the Music app or anything is almost as fast as launching on the Surface Pro2. I didn't run any official benchmarks, but in just real word usage in launching apps they are almost the same on the Surface2 and Surface Pro 2.

The MS rep and I would count down and launch an app on the Surface 2 and the Surface Pro 2 and the Surface 2 would maybe be a second behind. I came away extremely impressed.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
There is an app I use called PC Benchmark, that I use to keep track of performance improvement from Surface RT 8.0 -> 8.1 Preview -> 8.1 RTM.

This is the recent benchmark of my RT running 8.1 RTM. If anyone can install this app, run the benchmark and take a photo, will be highly appreciated.

Screenshot (9).png

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
There is an app I use called PC Benchmark, that I use to keep track of performance improvement from Surface RT 8.0 -> 8.1 Preview -> 8.1 RTM.

This is the recent benchmark of my RT running 8.1 RTM. If anyone can install this app, run the benchmark and take a photo, will be highly appreciated.

View attachment 44215

Sure, I may stop by there again tomorrow and run this test.

My biggest gripe on the SurfaceRT was the app launch times. Metro apps took such a long time to launch on SurfaceRT. Now after testing the Surface2 against the Surface Pro2 and the Surface RT all side by side, I can see how powerful Tegra4 is. I had all three machines side by side and launched the same app on all three and the Surface2 was maybe a second or less behind the SurfacePro2, while the SurfaceRT just sat there spinning.

Metro apps took awhile to launch and forget about regular desktop apps on the SurfaceRT. However on the Surface2, launching Word or Outlook opens up almost instantly. It operates as if it had an Core-I series processor.

katakulli

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Nice to hear that.. Do intense apps open also quick? How is web-page rendering? Any difference there?
And while you are at benchmarking, run the sunspider bench, too. :)

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice to hear that.. Do intense apps open also quick? How is web-page rendering? Any difference there?
And while you are at benchmarking, run the sunspider bench, too. :)

Yes! If intense you mean like Office desktop apps or apps preloaded? On the SurfaceRT I mainly used Word and IE (desktop version). As you all know, trying to open Word/IE on the desktop was somewhat of a pain and took awhile. Opening these apps now is a breeze and like I said, I tested opening these same apps on the SurfacePro2 as I did the Surface2. Opening desktop apps and metro apps on both at the same time showed me that the Surface2 was only a second or so behind the Pro2.

nuprotocol

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd be interested to see how it performs compared side by side with Surface RT

I'm going back tonight. I'll try to make a video of all three in action. The MS Rep brought a SurfaceRT for us to compare launching apps on the SurfaceRT vs Surface2. The results were night and day. In Metro app launching, I almost never saw the little busy/spinning symbol during the metro app splash screen when using the Surface2. The launch would almost instantly open, versus the surfaceRT. Launching the same app on the surfaceRT, your presented with the metro splash screen for that app and the busy/spinning indicator.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
That's the type of thing that should've been shown during the press event. I'd like to see how the Surface 2 compares to the RT running 8.1. I'm really enjoying 8.1 on my RT.
I am as well, however I've encountered a number of problems with the beta, especially concerning Skype. Then again, Skype has never really gotten along with my Surface RT. It's slow and unstable. Overall though, I think Windows 8.1 really makes the OS far better both on a tablet and the desktop because each feels less compromised. If it is smooth and stable on Surface 2 then the device is definite winner for me and I'll absolutely recommend it to others (I was hesitant to do so with the RT)

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Look at the specs of a Macbook Air, or any other ultrabook at that same price.

I just configured a macbook air with a core i7, 8gb of ram, and 128gb ssd and pre-tax it's $1249. I'll probably still get a Pro 2 at some point but it feels like such a costly premium for that form factor.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I just configured a macbook air with a core i7, 8gb of ram, and 128gb ssd and pre-tax it's $1249. I'll probably still get a Pro 2 at some point but it feels like such a costly premium for that form factor.

Yeah.....Dont forget the 1080p screen which the Air can only dream of having, and the touchscreen on the Pro plus the Pen Input.. and a 128Gb with TYPE Keyboard comes down to $1,188

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yeah.....Dont forget the 1080p screen which the Air can only dream of having, and the touchscreen on the Pro plus the Pen Input.. and a 128Gb with TYPE Keyboard comes down to $1,188
Excellent points. But generally speaking, people view Windows-based devices to be commodities where price is the primary factor. That's a psychological hurdle Microsoft is battling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb