Amazon Immediately Steals Surface 2 Thunder

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You're missing the point; nobody wants a tablet to do work. Most people come to work at 9, leave at 5, and they do not want or need a tablet to work on after this. And work is done on company-provided hardware. I agree that the Surface is a much more capable device than any others in the class, but is that necessary?

Speak for yourself buddy. I want a tablet for work and consumption.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Nobody thought about working on a tablet because they couldn't. And still can't on most. If they wanted to work they had to have a laptop/desktop as well. Now you can do it all on a tablet. So why wouldn't you want just one device for everything instead of one for work and one for play. There's no reason not to. If you could do work on an ipad or droid, don't you think they would be touting that for all it's worth? Not to mention all the little sheep would be claiming it's the best innovation yet, another bold step. When again, it's been around already.

Also, the only place I've heard anything on the new kindle stuff is this thread. I had to bing it to get the price for the new one. Where's the great flooding of information on this?

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Nobody thought about working on a tablet because they couldn't. And still can't on most. If they wanted to work they had to have a laptop/desktop as well. Now you can do it all on a tablet. So why wouldn't you want just one device for everything instead of one for work and one for play. There's no reason not to. If you could do work on an ipad or droid, don't you think they would be touting that for all it's worth? Not to mention all the little sheep would be claiming it's the best innovation yet, another bold step. When again, it's been around already.

I agree, I personally want a replacement device. That I can use for work and play.. I use AutoCAD, Reason, FruityLoops & occasionally PhotoShop and I need x86 architecture, so I would go for a Pro or full Win8 hybrid machine (HP Split X2, or maybe that new Toshiba Satellite Click with a 500gb drive in the tablet side). However, I'm also considering the Surface RT or even the Surface 2, as I would be able to remote desktop to my PC, which I hardly ever use anymore except for file conversion, and the above mentioned type stuff. My HTC 8X takes care of the greater majority of my computing needs..

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Taken from another topic that I posted in:

People seem to confuse that with their own personal preferences, so a bias is sure to be apparent. iOS and Android (tablet or phone) doesn't work for me, but I don't think they are "weaker" OS. I see their tablets to be an absolute waste of money if I own their phone, so for me it's like owning a bigger version of the mobile piece. And as far as the phones go, that's a personal preference. Windows Phone fits my needs better in the mobile space, and their tablets go BEYOND being just an extension of their mobile space. It works as an actual computer, which is something I've waited for a company to do. Yeah it might be fun to play games on a big screen but if I'm going to shell out 400 for something, it needs to replace a device in my house, not add to the clutter.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Im with the group of people that does not want to carry multiple devices around. I will be getting a Pro 2 as i want my device to do EVERYTHING, and i understand Surface 2/RT is geared towards productivity and play...while iPad or these cheap Android tablets are strictly for fun (dont knock me, ive got a Nexus 7...its a toy). My fear is by the time people catch on with the advantages MS's tab has over the others, the other guys will be in the process of meeting face to face at the same stage.

MS isnt considered cool anymore, thats the general impression all of my mainstream friends brag on with their Apple and Android devices. MS needs to become COOL again...i have no clue how they'll do it. As much as im sticking with the MS ecosystem, i dont forsee it going well within the next 12 months unless they can impress the general consumer.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
SurfaceRT + xbox = music through tv or sound system.

This is done already through Apple and Android.
With apple, through AppleTV, with Android through Miracast. It's a standard feature that now comes with all apple devices and mid range to high end android devices.

This made me lol.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Im with the group of people that does not want to carry multiple devices around. I will be getting a Pro 2 as i want my device to do EVERYTHING, and i understand Surface 2/RT is geared towards productivity and play...while iPad or these cheap Android tablets are strictly for fun (dont knock me, ive got a Nexus 7...its a toy). My fear is by the time people catch on with the advantages MS's tab has over the others, the other guys will be in the process of meeting face to face at the same stage.

MS isnt considered cool anymore, thats the general impression all of my mainstream friends brag on with their Apple and Android devices. MS needs to become COOL again...i have no clue how they'll do it. As much as im sticking with the MS ecosystem, i dont forsee it going well within the next 12 months unless they can impress the general consumer.

I'm feeling you on this. I'm old enough to remember the Apple as in the 80's with the dude throwing his hammer(?) into the screen. The Verizon 'Droid' commercials were cool. MS & Windows, in general, have gotten the 'reputation' that its products are for work and not play. Back in the day, no one used a PC to make and/or play music (think techno DJs), it was all on MAC. Heck, even iCarly(Nickelodeon TV show) used a laptop that a 'pear' instead of an 'apple' (iFruit still). Nowadays, since the Vista disaster, MS has gotten all of the stuff that the competitor(s) have (and more), and run it smooth and secure.

Image is HUGE!! 'COOL factor', even more so!! It just works, is a bonus compared to these other two. "People" are fickle, media driven, automatons who generally believe what they're told (iPhone 5S is innovative), have long memories (Vista, WM (which I liked) and that "Blue Screen of Death), and are extremely close minded to straying away from the status quo (keeping up with the Joneses, although the alternative(s) may be better.

I completely agree that MS needs to change its image. When asked the question "Is this for business or pleasure?". The answer should simply be "Yes"..
My opinions

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Changing their image is going to be hard. They had better choose a CEO who is capable of turning them around in the public eye

We'll see how they market Surface 2. Evidently they've made a lot of progress with public perception of Windows Phone thanks to some great marketing, so it can be done. It will take time for anything to bare fruits though.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You're missing the point; nobody wants a tablet to do work. Most people come to work at 9, leave at 5, and they do not want or need a tablet to work on after this. And work is done on company-provided hardware. I agree that the Surface is a much more capable device than any others in the class, but is that necessary?

I think you're the one missing the point. Most people I've seen on the train and around London have an iPad rather than a laptop for work purposes and most workplaces have a Bring Your Own Device or BYOD policy so, no, most work isn't done on company provided hardware. Not only that but most people actually do work on the train on the way home from work as well, on guess what, tablets!!

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Does Surface 2 have an Amazon Prime app?

I could see a lot of people who subscribe to Amazon Prime wanting a device where they can stream their Amazon Prime content.

You can only watch prime video on kindles, not across all andoid devices is ios. So I don't really see not having prime as a big deal, and its not enough for me to buy a kindle.

laserboy

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The problem is, while we tech enthusiasts are well aware the Surface is a far more powerful and capable device, obstacles therein lie in getting consumers to acknowledge that. To them, a tablet is a tablet, so they're hunting for the best deal. And for those willing to go high end, they're typically dead set on Apple.

That doesn't mean this won't change, but for now, we've got a long way to go on an uphill slope. The apps issue is perhaps the biggest hurdle. It's improving, but again, still got a long ways to go.

Ever see a school kid try to do homework on an iPad? Horrible. If Microsoft wants to get into consumers, they need to market heavily in education. Give the things to k-12 and universities. If students use these, of teachers use them, families will buy.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Ever see a school kid try to do homework on an iPad? Horrible. If Microsoft wants to get into consumers, they need to market heavily in education. Give the things to k-12 and universities. If students use these, of teachers use them, families will buy.

I so agree. Surface RT/2 is made for students. Free Office with laptop experience AND full tablet experience in a robust design.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I had my younger brother take my RT to school along with his school-issued iPad as an experiment. He said it was way nicer to use for schoolwork and, surprisingly, that the battery outlasted his old iPad as well.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I had my younger brother take my RT to school along with his school-issued iPad as an experiment. He said it was way nicer to use for schoolwork and, surprisingly, that the battery outlasted his old iPad as well.

The battery on the RT is amazing. I can't believe how long it lasts sometimes.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
If MS wants to perfect a tablet for production and consumption it must offer a more polished ecosystem. Imagine the Surface hardware coupled with an Apple-like ecosystem of quality apps. Just think about that for a second.

The possibilities would be staggering.

Will MS ever get Surface to that level? Who knows. Untill then you can tweak the hardware all you want, without the back end support of premium content any RT based device will not sell nearly enough to make a true impact on the tablet space.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Of course the app ecosystem is key and Microsoft does have some work to do there- but it's not all Microsoft's fault and it's not a problem they can fix on their own either. It's going to take time and people who are willing to be early adopter to push the platform forward. The eventual merging with the Windows Phone app store will help, but it's not a solution.

Microsoft does need to do work to court developers, which to their credit they are doing. But ultimately if we want this platform to succeed we have to use it and get others to do the same. That's ultimately the most important factor in getting developers on board.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's going to take time and people who are willing to be early adopter to push the platform forward.

That's the problem right there. Call me selfish, but I'm not willing to be an early adopter. For some of you, the pros outweigh the cons. For me they don't. I know this thread is about RT, but the same principle applies to WP. I tried it, but found it too limiting mostly due to the (lack of) apps. You are absolutely correct that we need early adopters, but how many people are willing to live with the limitations in the meantime, when other more mature systems are available?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Because there are things in the other systems that are unacceptable and limiting to me, excluding them from ever being a choice. So I am willing to be an early adopter and tolerate the growing pains at this time. When you look at the big picture and where it is heading and can go, it makes it easier. And I really haven't been limited by my Surface or WP yet in my personal use. If I was interested in other phones/tablets or wanted to hear about them, I would be on their forums.

chinesepiratefood

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it stole anybody's thunder. It was announced so the tech sites cover it. There was more coverage over the surface, a lot more. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos