10-29-2013 09:18 PM
91 ... 234
tools
    Obviously you are not understanding my point.

The average person has an iPod mentality with a tablet. You hook the device up to your computer and you sync it.

For the Surface you have to either know how to send it over the network, use SkyDrive, or put your stuff on a USB drive of some sort (as you just suggested) and then connect that to your other device. You can't just connect the Surface to your PC, well, because it is one itself.

Somehow being able to sync over your network from a laptop or desktop would be a nice feature for people who have the iPod mentality for a tablet. I prefer to just send stuff over my network using Windows Explorer but I don't think the majority of consumers know how to do that. Having some system to automate that for people would be nice.
    correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Xbox music app on windows 8 do EXACTLY that? I may have done something without realizing it, but when I got my SP2 and I clicked the Xbox music app, it told me it was syncing my music, then all of my songs popped up. Even songs that were exclusively on my phone. I didn't even have to plug my phone in, it just got my info.
    10-29-2013 01:42 PM
    correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Xbox music app on windows 8 do EXACTLY that? I may have done something without realizing it, but when I got my SP2 and I clicked the Xbox music app, it told me it was syncing my music, then all of my songs popped up. Even songs that were exclusively on my phone. I didn't even have to plug my phone in, it just got my info.
    Sounds like something good. I can't test it as my only Windows 8.1 device is my Surface RT. Thinking I will upgrade my desktop to 8.1 in a few weeks. Then we shall see.
    10-29-2013 01:46 PM
    Obviously you are not understanding my point.

The average person has an iPod mentality with a tablet. You hook the device up to your computer and you sync it.

For the Surface you have to either know how to send it over the network, use SkyDrive, or put your stuff on a USB drive of some sort (as you just suggested) and then connect that to your other device. You can't just connect the Surface to your PC, well, because it is one itself.

Somehow being able to sync over your network from a laptop or desktop would be a nice feature for people who have the iPod mentality for a tablet. I prefer to just send stuff over my network using Windows Explorer but I don't think the majority of consumers know how to do that. Having some system to automate that for people would be nice.
    Gotcha. I can't remember the last time I synced my device to my computer?

I'm pretty sure it does all of this when you first set it up.
    10-29-2013 02:00 PM
    I suggest doing a little more research on the history of Microsoft's predatory monopolistic practices. Google has not engaged in any of that and therefore no legal recourse was required. If you wanted to draw a moral equivalency, you would have to show that Google forced phone manufacturers to pay a volume license fee for Android for every phone they sell, regardless of whether or not that phone handset shipped with Android.
    Man, google has a long history of monopolistic practices in several fields, and is under investigation in several places, especially in the European Union.

They dont even show their competitors results in searches: thenextweb.com/google/2013/04/25/google-agrees-to-show-three-links-from-rival-services-in-its-search-results-for-the-next-five-years/
    This "dont be evil" BS slogan from google has to stop.

Please, dont bash other people telling them to "do research".
    10-29-2013 02:32 PM
    Man, google has a long history of monopolistic practices in several fields, and is under investigation in several places, especially in the European Union.

They dont even show their competitors results in searches: thenextweb.com/google/2013/04/25/google-agrees-to-show-three-links-from-rival-services-in-its-search-results-for-the-next-five-years/
    This "dont be evil" BS slogan from google has to stop.

Please, dont bash other people telling them to "do research".
    I apologize if your delicate sensibilities consider an encouragement to do some research as "bashing".

The fact is that although you might believe that Google "has a long history of monopolistic practices", to the best of my knowledge they have not been found guilty by any federal governments (as Microsoft was). BTW, I'm not claiming that they don't do those things.
    10-29-2013 02:45 PM
    Im thinking of getting the surface 2 and i was just wondering can you get viruses on it? Both version the rt and pro?
    10-29-2013 03:17 PM
    Im thinking of getting the surface 2 and i was just wondering can you get viruses on it? Both version the rt and pro?
    You can get viruses on the Pro but not the RT as you can only install applications from the Microsoft Store.
    RN50 likes this.
    10-29-2013 03:27 PM
    You can get viruses on the Pro but not the RT as you can only install applications from the Microsoft Store.
    TThanks for the quick reply. What about websites you go on? I typically go on football streaming sites using flash would they even work and would they give u viruses?
    10-29-2013 03:29 PM
    I apologize if your delicate sensibilities consider an encouragement to do some research as "bashing".

The fact is that although you might believe that Google "has a long history of monopolistic practices", to the best of my knowledge they have not been found guilty by any federal governments (as Microsoft was). BTW, I'm not claiming that they don't do those things.
    No problem.

They havent been found guilty in the UE, the process is still taking its course. Google had to make an offer changing their searching results in order to solve the objections made by the UE. If the offering is accepted, it may solve the case. In the end, they will have to stop the objeted practice, with an agreement with the authority, or being obligated by such authority.

Its a very interising thing, maybe it deserves another thread.
    10-29-2013 03:30 PM
    TThanks for the quick reply. What about websites you go on? I typically go on football streaming sites using flash would they even work and would they give u viruses?
    no, windows 8 and windows rt are two different things. Theoretically you could get a virus if someone made an app that had a virus inside it that Microsoft didn't see, but even then, that virus would have to be written for windows rt.
    10-29-2013 03:35 PM
    Not only will the Flash sites work but you would not be able to get a virus. The only stuff that can be installed is from the Windows Store. Period.

Also, if you have an Xbox or another DLNA device connected to your TV you can easily throw that Flash video from your Surface browser to the TV and let it run in the background while you do other stuff on your Surface.

Laura Knotek, rav16 and RN50 like this.
    10-29-2013 03:56 PM
    Not only will the Flash sites work but you would not be able to get a virus. The only stuff that can be installed is from the Windows Store. Period.

Also, if you have an Xbox or another DLNA device connected to your TV you can easily throw that Flash video from your Surface browser to the TV and let it run in the background while you do other stuff on your Surface.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...013-110446.jpg
    Perfect. I will definitely be considering the surface 2 for a Christmas pressies for myself. The wife is also liking the idea instead of an iPad simply because it has Office and we could use word if needed.
    10-29-2013 04:03 PM
    Perfect. I will definitely be considering the surface 2 for a Christmas pressies for myself. The wife is also liking the idea instead of an iPad simply because it has Office and we could use word if needed.
    Another thing besides no spyware and virus' is no legacy apps to weigh down the OS.
    10-29-2013 04:34 PM
    To my knowledge, there are no known viruses, malware, or Trojans that will work on Windows RT, just like (again, only to my knowledge, not 100% sure, so please take this with a grain of salt) there's no known/major malicious software to be found on Windows Phone. Granted, that's likely because neither has significant market share for those with malicious intent to care enough to develop said shady software, but like Mac, we have the benefit of security through obscurity.

Both the RT and Pro version come built in with Windows Defender, and so long as you exercise at least some caution in regards to the links you click online, I think you ought to be fine.
    10-29-2013 08:03 PM

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...013-110446.jpg
    Ok, now that is pretty sweet, I think I'm going to try that on my Pro now. xD
    10-29-2013 08:05 PM
    Ok, now that is pretty sweet, I think I'm going to try that on my Pro now. xD
    I have to admit I was impressed that the original Surface RT could handle streaming ESPN 3 in the background while playing Angry Birds Star Wars.
    10-29-2013 09:18 PM
91 ... 234