Can Surface succeed as a consumer product?

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Im thinking of getting the surface 2 and i was just wondering can you get viruses on it? Both version the rt and pro?

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
You can get viruses on the Pro but not the RT as you can only install applications from the Microsoft Store.

TThanks for the quick reply. What about websites you go on? I typically go on football streaming sites using flash would they even work and would they give u viruses?

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I apologize if your delicate sensibilities consider an encouragement to do some research as "bashing".

The fact is that although you might believe that Google "has a long history of monopolistic practices", to the best of my knowledge they have not been found guilty by any federal governments (as Microsoft was). BTW, I'm not claiming that they don't do those things.

No problem.

They haven?t been found guilty in the UE, the process is still taking it?s course. Google had to make an offer changing their searching results in order to solve the objections made by the UE. If the offering is accepted, it may solve the case. In the end, they will have to stop the objeted practice, with an agreement with the authority, or being obligated by such authority.

It?s a very interising thing, maybe it deserves another thread.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
TThanks for the quick reply. What about websites you go on? I typically go on football streaming sites using flash would they even work and would they give u viruses?

no, windows 8 and windows rt are two different things. Theoretically you could get a virus if someone made an app that had a virus inside it that Microsoft didn't see, but even then, that virus would have to be written for windows rt.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Not only will the Flash sites work but you would not be able to get a virus. The only stuff that can be installed is from the Windows Store. Period.

Also, if you have an Xbox or another DLNA device connected to your TV you can easily throw that Flash video from your Surface browser to the TV and let it run in the background while you do other stuff on your Surface.

6tag_241013-110446.jpg

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Not only will the Flash sites work but you would not be able to get a virus. The only stuff that can be installed is from the Windows Store. Period.

Also, if you have an Xbox or another DLNA device connected to your TV you can easily throw that Flash video from your Surface browser to the TV and let it run in the background while you do other stuff on your Surface.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6593715/6tag_241013-110446.jpg

Perfect. I will definitely be considering the surface 2 for a Christmas pressies for myself. The wife is also liking the idea instead of an iPad simply because it has Office and we could use word if needed.

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Perfect. I will definitely be considering the surface 2 for a Christmas pressies for myself. The wife is also liking the idea instead of an iPad simply because it has Office and we could use word if needed.

Another thing besides no spyware and virus' is no legacy apps to weigh down the OS.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

To my knowledge, there are no known viruses, malware, or Trojans that will work on Windows RT, just like (again, only to my knowledge, not 100% sure, so please take this with a grain of salt) there's no known/major malicious software to be found on Windows Phone. Granted, that's likely because neither has significant market share for those with malicious intent to care enough to develop said shady software, but like Mac, we have the benefit of security through obscurity.

Both the RT and Pro version come built in with Windows Defender, and so long as you exercise at least some caution in regards to the links you click online, I think you ought to be fine.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6593715/6tag_241013-110446.jpg

Ok, now that is pretty sweet, I think I'm going to try that on my Pro now. xD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss