Buy Surface RT or Surface 2?

Bimo Vinandityo

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Would you wait for the surface 2 or get the now-available RT? Is the 100USD difference for the surface 2 really that worth it? Sound off why you would pick one over the other.

Last edited:

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Thats actually what I was thinking about during the last days...

The thing is for me: Surface RT (first generartion) is perfectly fine for everything I wand to do right now and, of course, Surface RT 2 (is that the name?) is not going to change that fact...

I dont think the higher resolution will change a lot, but the one thing caught my attention was: USB3. I for myself would use my Surface for a lot of consuming-stuff (I have to go through a LOT of pictures, blogs, articles and such for my job) and would love to connect it to one of my screens (maybe both?) and use it as my consuming/surfing/emailing device number one. If I have to leave, I just need to unplug everything and take my Surface with me. See...the thing is: as far as I know you can not use the USB2 port on the Surface RT (1st gen) for a dock-connection. There are some docks, which allow you to connect a modem, router, usb-stuff AND monitors to your USB3 ports. For my use something like this would be awesome. I would just need to plug in the dock and bam! everything is connected. And that is why I think about getting the 2nd gen Surface RT. Just because of the USB3 port...Sure...you can connect USB-devices with a simple switch, but not monitors, right?

BUT: if MS makes the 1st gen Surface much cheaper, then I guess I would take it!

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
If you can afford the extra 100$, and you can wait, I'd say go with the Surface 2. I have an RT and love it, but the Surface 2 has both better performance and better battery life. And it has a better screen. Oh, and like the guy above me mentioned... USB 3.0 is a big benefit.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know no one has posted this comparison in this forum.
So recently I tried the Surface RT in a nearby store, and found it to be a very beautiful and useful device. I'm thinking of buying one but now that Surface 2 is also coming, I have my second thoughts. Would you wait for the surface 2 or get the now-available RT? Is the 100USD difference for the surface 2 really that worth it? Sound off why you would pick one over the other.

Cheers!

There is a sticky thread with the performance comparison, I say get the Surface 2... The performance difference is more than doubled and the numbers are there for you to see.

Undead_Steve

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I would say for a 100$ difference the Surface 2 wins, no comparison - If I could trade in my in my current Surface RT and pay an "upgrade fee" to get the Surface 2 - I would do it in a heartbeat.
Top things I'm going to be envious about of Surface 2 owners :
1. Performance - While I love my Surface, certain tasks just seem to take forever, the processor in this thing just doesn't keep up sometimes - the new one seems a lot better.
2. Extra kickstand position - I'm a tall guy, find myself hunching over a lot with the RT, don't know if that's a problem for you.
3. Dat beautiful screen - the one on the RT is already gorgeous, plus I find it really impressive that they were able to bump up the screen specs and still improve the battery

Manny C

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Same problem I have now as well. But I've decided top wait it out and go for the surface 2. Either way, you can't really do wrong!

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I would say for a 100$ difference the Surface 2 wins, no comparison - If I could trade in my in my current Surface RT and pay an "upgrade fee" to get the Surface 2 - I would do it in a heartbeat.
Top things I'm going to be envious about of Surface 2 owners :
1. Performance - While I love my Surface, certain tasks just seem to take forever, the processor in this thing just doesn't keep up sometimes - the new one seems a lot better.
2. Extra kickstand position - I'm a tall guy, find myself hunching over a lot with the RT, don't know if that's a problem for you.
3. Dat beautiful screen - the one on the RT is already gorgeous, plus I find it really impressive that they were able to bump up the screen specs and still improve the battery

Craigslist :D

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If you can get a Surface RT for 200 then go for it. Otherwise pay the extra 100 and get a S2. That's my opinion.

ctitanic

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the Surface 2 this Christmas. My decision is based in 3 main factors:
1- Better battery life
2- Better performance CPU and Graphics.
3- Better resolution

I'm enjoying my RT and did not have many performance issues so far but that could change next year. The fact that they went with a better graphic chip tells me that we are going to see better games coming next year. It's not that I'm a gamer but I like from time to time to check the amazing graphics in new games.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Typically I would ask what you'll be doing with the rt to try and assess if you should get one product over another, but the truth is I'm just going to tell you to get the surface 2 anyways. I also currently own the rt. I went to the Ms store this weekend to try the 2 and it was simply fantastic. People have already mentioned these things but the improved kickstand is seriously awesome. I thought "whatever" when I saw it on the release, but then I tried it and realized it is way more useful. The screen resolution bump is totally worth it, while the rt isn't horrendous the 2 is just miles more clear and detailed. Especially text, which I had issues with on the rt (textbooks have small fonts). Then you have the speed increase from the tegra 4. I don't know if you've seen the benchmarks yet but it is at least 1.5 times more faster and powerful (I would guess closer to twice as fast). A lot of people complained about the rt being slow, i didn't mind...until i used the 2. Internet explorer runs faster and renders pages much more quickly. Apps launch much faster and things are much more fluid (like i don't have to stare at a load screen for 10 seconds before i do my next action). When the iPad 2 released i bought the iPad 1 for cheaper and more storage. Half a year in i regretted it a lot. The bump from gen 1 to gen 2 was VERY significant, just like it is from the rt to the 2. Sorry for the rambling, i hope it makes some sense, but definitely set your sights on the 2 and don't look back.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I would get the Surface 2, even with the price difference. The improvements made are significant and benefit you in every day use. Speed was so impressive I am now considering it over the Pro 2.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think the kickstand alone is worth the extra $100 just for use. I have a Surface Pro, and it doesn't really play well on my lap, having that Kickstand would make it much easier.

The Surface RT is a perfectly capable tablet, and feature wise from the operating system standpoint you are getting the same thing. From a performance standpoint and long term investment, I would go for the Surface 2, even with the added cost.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss