Report from the Panos Panay Microsoft Store Surface event

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That makes NO sense. Why would you go pay the apple premium for a Mac, then pay for Windows on top of it? You're paying SO MUCH EXTRA that it's illogical.

Also, there's plenty of reasoning why I'd take a laptop over a Surface Pro. The main thing is that the Pro's still a tablet. The keyboard is very cramped as a result. I'd opt for a full-on laptop instead, especially since it saves you on the premium cost for that form factor, and you have more options for screen size.

You also have to consider the fact that some people try to be "hip and trendy" (emphasis on try btw) by buying a Mac and they end up hating OS X, so they switch back to Windows.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
You also have to consider the fact that some people try to be "hip and trendy" (emphasis on try btw) by buying a Mac and they end up hating OS X, so they switch back to Windows.
To be fair, I know several people who have switched to Macs and loved them. I also know a few who have switched because their parents wanted them to get Macbooks for college and ended up wishing for PCs
Anyway, I don't really see anything wrong with OSX. I personally dislike several things about it, but those are mostly matters of preference (like for example, I feel the way it treats all instances of an app as one thing rather than individual windows borderline infuriating). But realistically it is a faster and less buggy OS than Windows if only because Apple has control over what hardware it runs on and doesn't have to make it work with everything under the sun.

And the apps problem is not nearly the issue it one was. Outside of games, most everything you'd want is available on OSX

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, I know several people who have switched to Macs and loved them. I also know a few who have switched because their parents wanted them to get Macbooks for college and ended up wishing for PCs
Anyway, I don't really see anything wrong with OSX. I personally dislike several things about it, but those are mostly matters of preference (like for example, I feel the way it treats all instances of an app as one thing rather than individual windows borderline infuriating). But realistically it is a faster and less buggy OS than Windows if only because Apple has control over what hardware it runs on and doesn't have to make it work with everything under the sun.

And the apps problem is not nearly the issue it one was. Outside of games, most everything you'd want is available on OSX

right, most people who buy their Macs keep OS X on them. I was just saying that some people think they'll like it, then end up hating it. Like my friend who bought a Mac due to playing with it for an hour in the Apple store and hearing the salesman's pitch, then he bought it and a week later, I saw a familiar start button on his screen.

I'm like you, OS X isn't bad, but that's only based off second hand experience, I've never owned a mac. My biggest issue was those shortcuts in the corners or whatever they're called. I would try to exit out of something and it would zoom out to a multitasking screen like 40% of the time, but again, to each his own.

Edit: ok, well my friend actually went to the Apple store like 3 times, not just sat there for an hour and liked it, I was just exaggerating a little bit. He still got Windows 7 though.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That makes NO sense. Why would you go pay the apple premium for a Mac, then pay for Windows on top of it? You're paying SO MUCH EXTRA that it's illogical.
Do you know of any manufacturer that makes a unibody aluminum Windows notebook with comparable dimensions, screen pixel density, and weight of a Macbook Pro 15.4? I'm not trying to snipe, but seriously am curious. I have a 15.4 MBP and have considered swapping out the harddrive for one dedicated to Win7. (but keeping OSX for those other occasions)

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
For me the biggest thing that turns me off to OSX is the way it handles multitasking. In my experience Windows does a better job at it, and everything is a rranged ina fashion I personally find more logical and straightforward. Plus I am not a fan of the unified menu bar... Or the way the dock works versus the taskbar in Windows 7/8... Oh, and I also dislike how closed off the file system is by default.

Although Macs are a win on the settings front as it's much easier to find settings for things on a Mac and it's more user-friendly. Although that's not a big thing for me as I am quite accustomed to the Windows control panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss