10-06-2013 10:50 AM
47 12
tools
    I'm getting an amazing deal on the RT so money isn't the issue for te surface.. I want a 10 inch tablet and I ain't tryna pay 500 for an android tablet
    10-03-2013 10:08 PM
    The Surface RT is underpowered. Everyone knows that, though some people around here will never admit it. If you must have RT, save up for the Surface 2.
    10-03-2013 10:14 PM
    I also found that this helps with performance.
    http://i.imgur.com/30usuoY.jpg

I have a laptop the surface is gonna be used lightly in school for office, social networking and web browsing im sure it'll be more than capable for doing these simple tasks
    10-03-2013 10:24 PM
    The Surface RT is underpowered. Everyone knows that, though some people around here will never admit it. If you must have RT, save up for the Surface 2.
    I respectfully disagree.

I bought a MS-refurbed Surface RT 3 weeks ago. Running the version of 8.0 out-of-the-box was indeed underpowered. Not enough to be a show-stopper. After applying the 78 updates, performance improved to a point where the feeling of being underpowered would not be noteworthy.

I then upgraded to 8.1 RTM. The performance improvement was noticeable. I couldn't consider it to be "underpowered" anymore. Then some tweaks to the registry for touchscreen lag, superfetch, and prefetch had an even more noticeable improvement. So much so that I'm considering recording a video of the similar steps recorded on the Surface 2 performance thread to prove that the improvements are that dramatic.

edit: I just ran a side-by-side test against that video... My RT running 8.1 RTM with those tweaks opened the office apps just as quickly as the Surface 2. I'll be recording a video where both the Surface 2 video and the RT screen are both visible to compare.
    Last edited by WillysJeepMan; 10-03-2013 at 11:21 PM.
    Michael Alan Goff likes this.
    10-03-2013 10:26 PM
    Let us know what tweaks you made, and is RTM available for everyone at this point?
    10-03-2013 10:31 PM
    Get a nexus. Easy choice
    The new Nexus 10 s/b announced on 10/14. Worthwhile to give that a look, imo.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    10-03-2013 11:09 PM
    Let us know what tweaks you made, and is RTM available for everyone at this point?
    I posted the details here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...tm#post2158104

The tweaks had to do with reducing touchscreen lag, and superfetch and prefetch settings which affect disk access performance.

RTM is still available though not officially from Microsoft. It WILL be official in another 2 weeks.
    10-03-2013 11:13 PM
    I think it could better idea to wait the upcoming Dell tablets with Windows 8.1 and those Dell tablets looks promising...

Full x86 Windows tablets no RT.
    10-03-2013 11:26 PM
    Android tablets allow Google to watch everything you do so they can feed you relevant ads! In the future, who knows what other great uses they will find for all the data they have collected on you! So much potential! RT only gives you a tablet that minds its own business. Boring!
    10-04-2013 12:05 AM
    Android tablets allow Google to watch everything you do so they can feed you relevant ads! In the future, who knows what other great uses they will find for all the data they have collected on you! So much potential! RT only gives you a tablet that minds its own business. Boring!
    and what? Unless you are a pedo or closet gay who gives a ****
    10-04-2013 05:20 AM
    Surface RT.
    10-04-2013 06:02 AM
    I respectfully disagree.

I bought a MS-refurbed Surface RT 3 weeks ago. Running the version of 8.0 out-of-the-box was indeed underpowered. Not enough to be a show-stopper. After applying the 78 updates, performance improved to a point where the feeling of being underpowered would not be noteworthy.

I then upgraded to 8.1 RTM. The performance improvement was noticeable. I couldn't consider it to be "underpowered" anymore. Then some tweaks to the registry for touchscreen lag, superfetch, and prefetch had an even more noticeable improvement. So much so that I'm considering recording a video of the similar steps recorded on the Surface 2 performance thread to prove that the improvements are that dramatic.

edit: I just ran a side-by-side test against that video... My RT running 8.1 RTM with those tweaks opened the office apps just as quickly as the Surface 2. I'll be recording a video where both the Surface 2 video and the RT screen are both visible to compare.
    Yeah, never understood the idea that it is underpowered. It was unoptimized at first, and not it is really good.

Or you just like your privacy?
    10-04-2013 07:45 AM
    Surface is great. The store does have > 100,000 apps although we all know numbers are meaningless, but key apps are there for the most part and others released weekly. Web browser works for everything else.

Biggest win to me is it is like having both a mini-PC AND a proper tablet. Browser does full Flash so you get the whole Internet. And you get Microsoft Office for free which is great value.
    10-04-2013 07:48 AM
    Am i wrong or there is no facebook app for RT yet? It is coming soon though

Btw i am confuse if i need a RT or a Pro... A 8 inch or a 10... Very confused😃😃
    10-04-2013 08:15 AM
    I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet, but so far as I know there is no Instagram for Surface RT yet. If that's a deal breaker then you might want to reconsider.

However, I personally wouldn't let the presence or absence of a single app affect my decision although I'm sure I have different expectations than most (Surface RT being my first and only tablet, and my only smartphones have been Windows Phones). It's not a blazing fast device, but it is hugely convenient as an ulta-portable way to browse the web, do light to medium amounts of typing, social networking, etc. The light multitasking abilities of it are legitimately useful, I love the ability to manage the file system, having a full USB port is extremely convenient, and the battery life is generally enough to get me through a day or even two depending on use.

If apps matter most then go to Android- there is great hardware there for cheap and an amazing apps ecosystem. But if you want a tablet that is more than a tablet, and apps aren't everything to you then I recommend Surface RT.

Oh and as a bonus it integrates well with both Windows Phone and SkyDrive. So that's a plus for you as an existing Windows user.
    siero2h likes this.
    10-04-2013 08:32 AM
    NSA back doors vs Google "watching", I wonder which is worse... Hmm

I'd say install a firewall and deny access. Not a big deal.
    10-04-2013 08:34 AM
    NSA back doors vs Google "watching", I wonder which is worse... Hmm

I'd say install a firewall and deny access. Not a big deal.
    With Google, you have both.

Not saying I care, Google can have my info.
    10-04-2013 08:44 AM
    I have the surface RT. I am running 8.1. I see no lag. Office loads as fast as my i5 laptop. Skydrive integration is great. The touch cover is super responsive and took no time to adjust to and the browser is top notch. My only issue is battery performance and that is supposed to get fixed with the 8.1 RTM. I was really hesitant to go RT but have not regretted it in the least bit. I use remote desktop when I need desktop apps but that's not often since most of my work based apps are now cloud based. Best tablet pc combo out there and the the screen is great to view also. By the way win 8.1 is a great touch screen UI.
    WillysJeepMan likes this.
    10-04-2013 08:57 AM
    Enough comments here to give both sides. It really depends on which ecosystem you are invested in. I have a small Andriod tablet that I was given and although it is a very nice device I cannot find any use for it. On the other hand I can get lots of use from my Acer hybrid. The reason why is I am fully invested in MSFT's services.
    10-04-2013 09:26 AM
    Here's a quick video that I took of my tweaked RT. In the background is the video of the Surface 2 performance that was posted earlier in a different thread.

I know that the spec sheet on the Surface 2 is better than the RT, but the more I tinker around, the more I think that the real life performance difference between the RT and Surface 2 isn't as great as the specs would imply. I think that there is still some optimization headroom for the RT yet.
    10-04-2013 07:11 PM
    I'm impressed, I'll have to try these tweaks
    10-04-2013 07:14 PM
    And you are openly stupid. You will deserve what you get.
    10-06-2013 10:50 AM
47 12