Surface RT or Android Tablet?

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I have saved up some $$ and I have enough to buy a Surface RT or a decent Android tablet (good condition refurbished) so I am not paying full for the product. I have a windows phone a windows 8 laptop shall i get the surface RT or a Samsung Galaxy Tab or something along the lines. BTW the offer I have for the surface RT is like brand new for 300$(CAD) 32GB storage WITH touch cover. Should I spend 300 on that or an Android tablet please give me some suggestions! :)

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I had or should say have a Galaxy Note Tab 10.1, though my wife uses that now, I got my self a Surface RT 64gig, this is my fourth tablet, and the best by a long way, can it stand up by its self, yes, can I connect it to my 40" TV, yes, can I shove my USB stick in and watch a movie, yes, can I connect to my desktop and transfer files, yes, out of the box, nothing like it, in my opinion. Jim

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
what do you think about apps and the usability of it in everyday life?

I think there are a total of 48 apps in the store, although I'm pretty sure we're supposed to get a used one next month sometime. Not sure what it is, I think it's a fart app but a really really good one, like 5 different fart noises!! Can't wait.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest the RT, if only for the simple fact that it's going to be supported for longer than the Galaxy Tab.

The fact that is has Office for free is another bonus.

anon(5876801)

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone looking for a tablet designed for great productivity, the Surface RT is where its at. Office, IE10, and true multitasking. I feel theres more value in RT but I cant get it off my head.

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
so galaxy tab 10.1 or surface rt?
tbh id get the RT right away just the whole app situation scares me to be honest :/

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
so galaxy tab 10.1 or surface rt?
tbh id get the RT right away just the whole app situation scares me to be honest :/
I own a variety of tablets... iPad4, Polaroid 7" PMID701i, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Kindle Fire HD 7", and a Surface RT. I share this not to brag, but to offer some background as to my experience with various tablets and that I'm not a blind fanatic to one or the other.

Given the choice between the Galaxy Tab 10.1 or Surface RT, I'd recommend the RT. Samsung has a pretty sad reputation for supporting their products. I'm not expecting any improvements or tweaks to my GTab2 7.0. That is sad because it has a lot of potential. The GTab is a commodity item, a single generation throw-away. Not only in build quality (which is fine but not top-shelf) but in support.

The Surface RT is the highest quality tablet I own... even surpassing the iPad4 (retina display or not, the RT's use of ClearType offers retina-like clarity for text). The fact that the RT will receive the update to 8.1 (I'm already running with it) is a welcomed step of support. How much support after that remains to be seen, but it is already better supported than Samsung supports their GTabs.

The inclusion of the full MS Office Suite (but slightly less in function than the desktop version) is something that is quite valuable IMO.

As has been eluded to, the app situation is of some concern. I'm hoping that it will get better, but there's enough out there to "get by". It isn't like the RT is going to be a doorstop.

Hope this helps.

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Guess I am gonna give it a try, gonna pick it up this weekend I'm just extremely pulled in by form factor, build quality and the fact that its unique compared to the galaxy tab. Thanks to everyones help, Im gonna give this a go!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I have saved up some $$ and I have enough to buy a Surface RT or a decent Android tablet (good condition refurbished) so I am not paying full for the product. I have a windows phone a windows 8 laptop shall i get the surface RT or a Samsung Galaxy Tab or something along the lines. BTW the offer I have for the surface RT is like brand new for 300$(CAD) 32GB storage WITH touch cover. Should I spend 300 on that or an Android tablet please give me some suggestions! :)

What I'd do is research whether or not what you intend to do with a tablet can be done with the RT. If it does what you need to do and the necessary apps are available, it'll probably be a better experience overall. Otherwise get the Tab or another Android tablet, or an iPad.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the market for one myself. Just hit bestbuy or WalMart and mess with the tablets. The surface is definitely impressive. I'm going to use my for my office so a little different use. I'm really liking the whole MS ecosystem, SkyDrive, Xbox, yak yak. The surface 2 is coming out later this month and it is only 449 and I have heard it is a big improvement, so I am ordering one of those bad boys. The big one as previously stated is it is supported and will only improve.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
The big one as previously stated is it is supported and will only improve.

When the original Surface RT was released Microsoft pledged 4 years of support which is unheard of for mobile devices. So far they have done very well supporting it. In fact, maybe a bit too well. Weekly updates can be annoying.

I haven't heard a similar pledge for the new ones but I think it's pretty safe to say support will be much better than Samsung. The only reason to go with the Tab IMO would be if you want to have the latest and greatest apps.

That reason is a big one for a lot of people. If you want the latest popular games and timekillers, RT isn't a good choice. If you need a specific app, you may not find a suitable alternative on RT. But if you need a tool with good build quality and support, the RT is a solid value.

Last edited:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
When the original Surface RT was released Microsoft pledged 4 years of support which is unheard of for mobile devices. So far they have done very well supporting it. In fact, maybe a bit too well. Weekly updates can be annoying.

I haven't heard a similar pledge for the new ones but I think it's pretty safe to say support will be much better than Samsung. The only reason to go with the Tab IMO would be:

1. You need the freehand writing or drawing ability of the stylus
2. You want to have the latest and greatest apps.

The second reason is a big one for a lot of people. If you want the latest popular games and timekillers, RT isn't a good choice. If you need a specific app, you may not find a suitable alternative on RT. But if you need a tool with good build quality and support, the RT is a solid value.

I thought it was the Note that has the stylus ability and not the Tab?

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

how abt a nexus7 specially the 2012 version, which u can get for really cheap and its still a good device, i own a lumia so got one nexus so that all my needs are covered under both ecosystems, I wont miss any apps on my lumia then as I'll hv nexus as my backup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb