Surface RT or Android Tablet?

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I wanted a 10 inch tablet and my dad already has a 10.1 galaxy tab so there's no use lol.. I just love the way the RT is built and the touch cover makes it so much better.. At the end of the day most apps are just fads the only ones that are truly important are twitter fb instagram (to me) and a few sports apps, etc. And im getting it at a killler price too + the MSFT support the surface is getting just makes it another reason to buy the RT

alphacc82

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Get the Asus t100 that is coming out in 2+ weeks. It will be a 10" with the new bay trail. With a retail price of $350 its an awesome deal. You get the tablet, the keyboard plus its x86(run nornmal windows apps). I have an RT and can tell you that it is disappointing.

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If I dont get a surface im not gonna get any windows tablets, the surface is the only windows tablet I'd use.. If not im gonna get an android... Getting extremely mixed reviews about the surface lol..confused

Florin Nitulescu1

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
My hand would be on the Surface.
Far better support, future updates, Windows 8.1 (which is a blast!), top build quality, keyboard cover, kick-stand, Office, full-size USB port, Xbox games (they're coming on a daily basis) etc etc etc
Gataxy Tab...none of the above, only more apps which you probably won't ever use.

So...if you have the money, it's kind of easy to pick.
Hope this helps, have a great one!

HarisA1

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting an amazing deal on the RT so money isn't the issue for te surface.. I want a 10 inch tablet and I ain't tryna pay 500 for an android tablet

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The Surface RT is underpowered. Everyone knows that, though some people around here will never admit it. If you must have RT, save up for the Surface 2.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The Surface RT is underpowered. Everyone knows that, though some people around here will never admit it. If you must have RT, save up for the Surface 2.
I respectfully disagree.

I bought a MS-refurbed Surface RT 3 weeks ago. Running the version of 8.0 out-of-the-box was indeed underpowered. Not enough to be a show-stopper. After applying the 78 updates, performance improved to a point where the feeling of being underpowered would not be noteworthy.

I then upgraded to 8.1 RTM. The performance improvement was noticeable. I couldn't consider it to be "underpowered" anymore. Then some tweaks to the registry for touchscreen lag, superfetch, and prefetch had an even more noticeable improvement. So much so that I'm considering recording a video of the similar steps recorded on the Surface 2 performance thread to prove that the improvements are that dramatic.

edit: I just ran a side-by-side test against that video... My RT running 8.1 RTM with those tweaks opened the office apps just as quickly as the Surface 2. I'll be recording a video where both the Surface 2 video and the RT screen are both visible to compare.

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Android tablets allow Google to watch everything you do so they can feed you relevant ads! In the future, who knows what other great uses they will find for all the data they have collected on you! So much potential! RT only gives you a tablet that minds its own business. Boring!

mcivor88

Banned
Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Android tablets allow Google to watch everything you do so they can feed you relevant ads! In the future, who knows what other great uses they will find for all the data they have collected on you! So much potential! RT only gives you a tablet that minds its own business. Boring!

and what? Unless you are a pedo or closet gay who gives a ****

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I respectfully disagree.

I bought a MS-refurbed Surface RT 3 weeks ago. Running the version of 8.0 out-of-the-box was indeed underpowered. Not enough to be a show-stopper. After applying the 78 updates, performance improved to a point where the feeling of being underpowered would not be noteworthy.

I then upgraded to 8.1 RTM. The performance improvement was noticeable. I couldn't consider it to be "underpowered" anymore. Then some tweaks to the registry for touchscreen lag, superfetch, and prefetch had an even more noticeable improvement. So much so that I'm considering recording a video of the similar steps recorded on the Surface 2 performance thread to prove that the improvements are that dramatic.

edit: I just ran a side-by-side test against that video... My RT running 8.1 RTM with those tweaks opened the office apps just as quickly as the Surface 2. I'll be recording a video where both the Surface 2 video and the RT screen are both visible to compare.

Yeah, never understood the idea that it is underpowered. It was unoptimized at first, and not it is really good.

and what? Unless you are a pedo or closet gay who gives a ****

Or you just like your privacy?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Surface is great. The store does have > 100,000 apps although we all know numbers are meaningless, but key apps are there for the most part and others released weekly. Web browser works for everything else.

Biggest win to me is it is like having both a mini-PC AND a proper tablet. Browser does full Flash so you get the whole Internet. And you get Microsoft Office for free which is great value.

siero2h

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Am i wrong or there is no facebook app for RT yet? It is coming soon though

Btw i am confuse if i need a RT or a Pro... A 8 inch or a 10... Very confused😃😃

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet, but so far as I know there is no Instagram for Surface RT yet. If that's a deal breaker then you might want to reconsider.

However, I personally wouldn't let the presence or absence of a single app affect my decision although I'm sure I have different expectations than most (Surface RT being my first and only tablet, and my only smartphones have been Windows Phones). It's not a blazing fast device, but it is hugely convenient as an ulta-portable way to browse the web, do light to medium amounts of typing, social networking, etc. The light multitasking abilities of it are legitimately useful, I love the ability to manage the file system, having a full USB port is extremely convenient, and the battery life is generally enough to get me through a day or even two depending on use.

If apps matter most then go to Android- there is great hardware there for cheap and an amazing apps ecosystem. But if you want a tablet that is more than a tablet, and apps aren't everything to you then I recommend Surface RT.

Oh and as a bonus it integrates well with both Windows Phone and SkyDrive. So that's a plus for you as an existing Windows user.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium