Teacher uses Surface RT for personalized learning.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting watch, thanks for sharing.

It looks more like she's teaching them how to use the Surface, and then letting it do all the academic stuff, which bothers me a little. I think technology should be used as an educational accessory, not replacement. Also, some of the kids looked rather confused, and they weren't using it to its full potential (using the touch pad when they could've easily touched the screen).

Still, I'd like to see this class a few months down the road to see how they progress. I also want to make sure this teacher is actually teaching something other than how to use a Surface. It'd also be interesting to see how this class compares to other classes.

Thanks again for sharing, and maybe this will grow a new generation of kids hooked on Microsoft? ;)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Very interesting watch, thanks for sharing.

It looks more like she's teaching them how to use the Surface, and then letting it do all the academic stuff, which bothers me a little. I think technology should be used as an educational accessory, not replacement. Also, some of the kids looked rather confused, and they weren't using it to its full potential (using the touch pad when they could've easily touched the screen).

Still, I'd like to see this class a few months down the road to see how they progress. I also want to make sure this teacher is actually teaching something other than how to use a Surface. It'd also be interesting to see how this class compares to other classes.

Thanks again for sharing, and maybe this will grow a new generation of kids hooked on Microsoft? ;)

Agreed.

I've watched preschoolers introduced to iPad and android tablets, there isn't much instruction other than "find the smiley face and press it". The kids don't care what device is in front of them, who made it, or what operating system it runs. They don't even care if the game is a stop motion representation or a 3d app, so long as the ui is well done.

I know the point is promoting the surface, but it should be on education instead of incorporation.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
if they wanted to promote the Surface I would suggest showing a slightly older class that would be more adept to use the keyboard and maybe even show them printing to standard classroom printers.

I suspect this was a justification video in order to get the surfaces at the rock bottom .edu prices they were doing the promo on. The fact her name was on the board leads me to believe this was not her class.

I want them to be successful, but they need to show something other than going to a website which didn't look very touch optimized to be honest. Use something like Start Chart which -isn't- available on iPad or Kno Books app which is a native app and not a website.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon