Finally saw another Surface in public today

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Was in Chick-Fil-A and the guy had a Surface with Touch Cover. First time other than mine I've seen one in public. How often do you see them out and about (excluding around a Microsoft Store)?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I haven't spotted one at all so far.

I was at Starbucks earlier today and spotted 2 iPads and an Asus netbook. If I've never been to a Microsoft Store, my only experience of Surface would have been seeing it on websites and in TV commercials/TV shows.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
On campus I do not see any... However during class people regularly ask me if I am using that surface thing they saw the commercial for at which time I break out my 920 and am like yeppp :). People say the darndest things of why they have not upgraded to windows phone or to a surface from an ipad...

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Had a business meeting a couple of weeks ago. We met at the local Starbucks and he pulls out a Surface 8 to make his PowerPoint pitch. Needless to say, the conversation got sidetracked as we talked Surfaces. He loves it and uses it on all his international travels.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Had a business meeting a couple of weeks ago. We met at the local Starbucks and he pulls out a Surface 8 to make his PowerPoint pitch. Needless to say, the conversation got sidetracked as we talked Surfaces. He loves it and uses it on all his international travels.

They are great talking points, which for any salesmen is a big perk actually.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Was the only one at work until they dropped the price. Now there are three other people using it and advertising it. People are starting to see the real value in an office and research environment...

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
About 2 days back, I saw a guest had a Surface on his table while eating breakfast, the kick stand gave it away :D

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Only seen 2 in the wild, outside of commercials, internet, and Microsoft Stores.

One was at an airport about 6 weeks ago. I was very excited, it was nice to have seen my first Surface in the wild (I don't own one yet, my first Surface will be the Pro 2 :]), but then after he used it for only minutes, he put it away and started typing away on a Macbook Pro (not even an Air, a Pro for Pete's sake!). I was baffled, he had a perfectly light and capable device before it, and it put away to use his more unwieldy 15 inch Macbook Pro. Beats me :shrug:

Second time was at lunch one day, it's the only Windows 8 device I've seen in my entire school. There are,by my estimates, about 10-15 WP8 devices, and about 3 WP 7.X devices, floating around my school of about 2,500. My school is dominated by Apple products, it's crazy, so I was excited to see someone using a Surface. Haven't seen the kid who owned it or the Surface itself again though. I just hope he likes it, he's presently to only one (to my knowledge) representing the Surface brand, if he doesn't like it, then it can't be good.

Just a few more weeks before I can truly tote the magic of Microsoft, I already wield my Lumia 1020 with pride (just like I did with my Lumia 900 before it), now I've got to show people Windows 8 doesn't suck, and how the Surface kicks the iPad's *** (well, aside from the app market :/).

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One girl in a couple of my classes has an RT with a cyan touch cover. Works for her, lack of x86 compatibility is an annoyance, but it works fine.

Another time last year in the main computer lab, one of the student admins left his RT there. First time seeing it in person.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I saw a kid carrying around a Pro on campus once when I was walking to class, and there's a guy who I see at Starbucks sometimes that has an RT and an 8x (or had, at least...I haven't seen him in a while). I get asked about my Pro a lot in class, but most everyone uses either a MacBook, an iPad, or a 10 year old Windows PC that can't even hold a charge anymore. I don't miss lugging a 15"+ laptop around campus, that's for sure!

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
My company is currently evaluating the Surface Pro (although ironically, not for internal use but to sell as a part of a solution to our clients). I've had the chance to put it through its paces and I love it! Forget the ipad, this is the real deal. That wacom pen is amazing, I never thought it could be so useful.

My only sticking point is perhaps its weight and slight bulkiness compared to other tablets of similar screen size but there's no way I'd consider a Surface RT over the Pro so I would live with that. I think until you experience it, you'll never know what you were missing or how productive you could be.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Five or six at my university, all girls with magenta Touch covers. Thing is, it's a tiny school--no more than 2,000 kids.

TeknoBlast

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Five or six at my university, all girls with magenta Touch covers. Thing is, it's a tiny school--no more than 2,000 kids.

That's a good ice breaker. "Hello there, I like your Surface. I have one myself. Want to get some coffee?"

BAM, instant connection! not only is the Surface very productive compared to other tablets, it's also match maker.

Last edited:

ikissfutebol

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
That's a good ice break. "Hello there, I like your Surface. I have one myself. Want to get some coffee?"

BAM, instant connection! not only is the Surface very productive compared to other tablets, it's also match maker.

And in other news, WPCentral member gets laughed at by a girl for a terrible pick up line. Personally, I've never known a girl worth dating that fell for a pick up line. That said, I'm not friends with any guys that would use a pick up line.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
And in other news, WPCentral member gets laughed at by a girl for a terrible pick up line. Personally, I've never known a girl worth dating that fell for a pick up line. That said, I'm not friends with any guys that would use a pick up line.

You have to admit, it was humorous. Gave me a nice chuckle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers