Surface 2 digitizer pen

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Need a special screen to have the same precision and the surface 2 does not have it. You can buy a regular touch pen though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
You can buy a regular capacitive/passive stylus, like the kind you can get for an iPad. Sadly, as others have said, the Surface 2 doesn't have the same special screen the Surface Pro (2) does, so an active stylus won't work.

Please note, again, like others have said already, that a passive stylus can't deliver the same precision as an active stylus, nor can you rest your hand on the screen. Actually, many have said that trying to use a generic stylus had lower precision than just using their finger, so that's something to keep in mind.

KIMII64

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I was confident to buy surface 2 until i saw this thread :unhappysweat: now i'm so confused

If I buy the surface 2 can I still make notes with any stylus if I can't use the pro pen?

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was confident to buy surface 2 until i saw this thread :unhappysweat: now i'm so confused

If I buy the surface 2 can I still make notes with any stylus if I can't use the pro pen?

be confident and go for it. Surface 2 can support styli but not the pressure sensitive input AFAIK ,..

the video is old but you can see it works .. there might have been a lot of updates since then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GskY-htIvWE&noredirect=1

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

You may still feel free to use what's known as a passive stylus. Those are the styli with the rubbery tip that you often find being sold for tablets such as the iPad, and those emulate your finger. However, unlike an active stylus (which the Surface Pro uses), you don't get some of the benefits. These include things like:
• Pressure sensitive (just like a real pencil/pen/brush, different amounts of pressure changes how the big or little the strokes are).
• When the pen is in close proximity to the screen, it turns of touch input, meaning you can rest your hand on the screen while drawing/writing.
• Increased accuracy over using your finger or a passive stylus, very close to the precision of a mouse.
• Other stuff.

Please note that the Surface RT was calibrated specifically for finger input, so many found trying to use a stylus actually decreased accuracy. But those same people changing a couple values in the Registry helped mostly correct that.

Don't lose confidence. The Surface 2 is a solid product and awesome for students. You simply can't use an active stylus (but neither can the iPad or most Android tablets, for that matter), and a passive stylus might incur some problems. But it will still over all work very well, enjoy your Surface. If what others on the forum have said is true about their Surface RT's, the Surface 2 can be nothing but better.

tundru

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Since this review is there a better Stylus out there for Surface 2. I am deciding on which tab to buy. I need to be able to mark up pdf's / underline and perhaps copy out paragraphs from contracts. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vijay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb