Surface covers

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I am taking a serious look at the new Surface 2. While researching, I decided to see what cases and covers are available. To me, most of the non-zip versions are a bit of overkill as they cover up the existing kickstand and then provide their own version.

I started thinking. I wonder why someone does not come up with a cover that clips into the Surface as the keyboards do. More or less a non-typing version of the type cover. Would be ideal, for my purposes.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I was actually looking for that too before I got my Touchcover, but now I love it that much, so I suggest you to buy that if you get a Surface 2

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a type cover on my Surface Pro and have absolutely no issues with it nor do I feel I need any additional protections. I've said in another post, I toss this thing around all the time and it doesn't have a mark on it.

One of the single best products I've ever purchased.

I hope that helps or at least I hope you find what you're looking for...but you'll love the Surface regardless.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
My issue is that I do not need nor want a keyboard. But, I like the idea of how the keyboard covers look and protect the screen, so, I just wonder why someone does not come out with a cover that is the same, but with no keys or electronics.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My issue is that I do not need nor want a keyboard. But, I like the idea of how the keyboard covers look and protect the screen, so, I just wonder why someone does not come out with a cover that is the same, but with no keys or electronics.

I don't see why you wouldn't want a Touch or Type Cover, they're half the reason the Surface is the... Well, Surface! There's a good reason every Surface commercial and ad shows one of those things, they've amazing!

But anyways, no such product exists, to my knowledge. Maybe you'll want to somehow submit that idea though, as part of the new Blades concept? :)

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't see why you wouldn't want a Touch or Type Cover, they're half the reason the Surface is the... Well, Surface! There's a good reason every Surface commercial and ad shows one of those things, they've amazing!:)

I appreciate their worth but just have no need for one, at least, right now. I bought a bluetooth keyboard for my Playbook and have used it, exactly once.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Having extensive experience with both the RT and iPad, I can say that if you don't plan on using a keyboard, then the RT is probably not for you. I find "touch-only" operation of the RT cumbersome. The aspect ratio of the screen is awkward as a tablet, and the Win8 UI and apps are not optimal for touch (yet). Add the fact that a capacitive stylus is virtually unusable and it makes for a disappointing experience.

With a TouchCover / TypeCover, the RT really shines. If people think of the RT as a netbook that can double as a tablet in a pinch, they'll be satisfied.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm starting to sense, gwine, that your reticence to getting this is cost over necessity. While I do believe the covers are expensive, they do serve a valuable purpose that I think, once used, you would enjoy and come to appreciate. I disagree with WillysJeep's depiction of the RT as being cumbersome. Most of us on here have extensive use of both iPads and Surface products and it comes down to taste. I personally find the iPad to be "cumbersome", to use Willys phrase, much more so than the Surface. Simple things like putting certain characters on the first ABC press instead of having to dig deeper to find them and having a true "10 key" for the numbers is fantastic. The hardest thing for me to get used to on the Surface was having to physically press a button to get the keyboard to go away, which you don't have to do on the iPad. Willlys not wrong, but it is preference.

I was an iFan for years and still like their products (nobody, and I mean NOBODY, syncs devices better...come on MS!). But when you compare the two side by side, I can't imagine why anyone would want an iPad over a Surface. Forget apps, that argument has been beaten to death (unless you have a very specific app need, like Yamaha has a networkable audio console so you can run your concert on the iPad from anywhere in the building...not available on the Surface, nor will it ever be, more than likely). It does come down to preference obviously, but to me, the Surface wins hands down. And I'm a power user of the product (at least 10 hours a day for work and play).

Okay, off my soap box and sorry to hijack the thread with a rant. You're right, it would be nice if there was something out there other than those covers for those who don't want to use a those covers. But I still recommend at least the touch pad if you're not constrained by funds.

Have a great one!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to sense, gwine, that your reticence to getting this is cost over necessity. While I do believe the covers are expensive, they do serve a valuable purpose that I think, once used, you would enjoy and come to appreciate. I disagree with WillysJeep's depiction of the RT as being cumbersome. Most of us on here have extensive use of both iPads and Surface products and it comes down to taste. I personally find the iPad to be "cumbersome", to use Willys phrase, much more so than the Surface. Simple things like putting certain characters on the first ABC press instead of having to dig deeper to find them and having a true "10 key" for the numbers is fantastic. The hardest thing for me to get used to on the Surface was having to physically press a button to get the keyboard to go away, which you don't have to do on the iPad. Willlys not wrong, but it is preference.

I was an iFan for years and still like their products (nobody, and I mean NOBODY, syncs devices better...come on MS!). But when you compare the two side by side, I can't imagine why anyone would want an iPad over a Surface. Forget apps, that argument has been beaten to death (unless you have a very specific app need, like Yamaha has a networkable audio console so you can run your concert on the iPad from anywhere in the building...not available on the Surface, nor will it ever be, more than likely). It does come down to preference obviously, but to me, the Surface wins hands down. And I'm a power user of the product (at least 10 hours a day for work and play).

Okay, off my soap box and sorry to hijack the thread with a rant. You're right, it would be nice if there was something out there other than those covers for those who don't want to use a those covers. But I still recommend at least the touch pad if you're not constrained by funds.

Have a great one!

Yeah, device syncing is where Apple really shines, and lest we not forget easy back up (Windows Phone still won't backup or sync app data and game progress. I've got 25GB of SkyDrive storage, maybe you could let me use some of it?

chrsdrshm

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I am taking a serious look at the new Surface 2. While researching, I decided to see what cases and covers are available. To me, most of the non-zip versions are a bit of overkill as they cover up the existing kickstand and then provide their own version.

I started thinking. I wonder why someone does not come up with a cover that clips into the Surface as the keyboards do. More or less a non-typing version of the type cover. Would be ideal, for my purposes.

I had to chime in on this one. I am with you..I have had numerous tablets and never really needed a keyboard with it...its nice, but I don't need one for the 100+ it costs. I felt the same way with the rt. I only got a cover cause I got one very cheap from eBay. Nothing against the keyboard it was great. But to be honest I didn't use it much, but loved the protection it offered. I will prob end up getting a touch cover for the 2 cause no one will make a non type cover... All this to say I'm with you on this one... Maybe we shoukd design one and sell it? :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
"I'm starting to sense, gwine, that your reticence to getting this is cost over necessity."

No. Let me try to be clear. It is not about cost, it is about the fact that I do not need nor want a keyboard. My point was just that it would be nice to have a snap-on cover that is just a cover.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
"With a TouchCover / TypeCover, the RT really shines. If people think of the RT as a netbook that can double as a tablet in a pinch, they'll be satisfied."

I, and, I am sure, many others, prefer to think of it as a tablet that can double as a netbook, in a pinch. If i wanted a netbook, I would buy one.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
"With a TouchCover / TypeCover, the RT really shines. If people think of the RT as a netbook that can double as a tablet in a pinch, they'll be satisfied."

I, and, I am sure, many others, prefer to think of it as a tablet that can double as a netbook, in a pinch. If i wanted a netbook, I would buy one.
Do you own an RT? Have you used it under "normal" conditions (more than a test drive in a store)?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but the Surface RT/2 falls short in a variety of areas when using it as a tablet that aren't obvious. If those issues don't matter to you, then that's fine... I like to try to help people avoid disappointment or at least understand what they're getting into.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
"I'm starting to sense, gwine, that your reticence to getting this is cost over necessity."

No. Let me try to be clear. It is not about cost, it is about the fact that I do not need nor want a keyboard. My point was just that it would be nice to have a snap-on cover that is just a cover.

Fair enough. When I was on the iPad I tried using it just as a tablet and found that, very soon after my purchase, needed it to have a cover AND a keyboard. The cover simply because you sneeze on an iProduct and it scratches or shatters, and the keyboard because I just have a need to actually type fast for work. I bought the Zagg case and it did a fantastic job of both. Got a little tiresome not knowing when the keyboard was going to go dead on me but I worked around that.

Now that I have my Surface I have the perfect keyboard in the Type Cover and have added protection should a herd of bison come stomping by. I'm not worried about them damaging the Surface, just want to keep the dust to a minimum. :wink:

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I see many people using iPads that have both the cover and keyboard attachment. How much do those items cost?..

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The Zagg case back in the day was $99.00. Bluetooth. Nice. Good reaction on the keys, albeit small (I have fat hands). I think they were bought out by Logitech. You can find them on Ebay for around $30 now. But, being it's Apple, there are literally dozens of options so it's up to your personal preference.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
The Zagg case back in the day was $99.00. Bluetooth. Nice. Good reaction on the keys, albeit small (I have fat hands). I think they were bought out by Logitech. You can find them on Ebay for around $30 now. But, being it's Apple, there are literally dozens of options so it's up to your personal preference.
True.

I bought the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard for my iPad 4... $80 @ Best Buy. This has been the best keyboard (in terms of the combination of portability and usability) yet that I've owned for iPads. It really works extremely well, the only downside is the lack of a touchpad. Apple does not support mice/trackpads. Once an untethered jailbreak is available for 6.1.3 I'm jailbreaking my iPad and installing a BT mouse driver.

IMO, we'll know that Apple is concerned about the Surface RT/2 the moment they provide support for a mouse on the iPad.

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
It might not be the most elegant solution, but what about a broken type cover? (Of course, I'm referring to one where there is an issue with the electronics, and is still structurally sound). I'm sure they are out there somewhere. It might not be as pretty as just a cover, but probably just as functional.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
It might not be the most elegant solution, but what about a broken type cover? (Of course, I'm referring to one where there is an issue with the electronics, and is still structurally sound). I'm sure they are out there somewhere. It might not be as pretty as just a cover, but probably just as functional.

There's an idea, check eBay or Craigslist, you could probably find one for free. May not be the most elegant solution, but it could be a very cheap substitute.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786