October Updates

steelejones100

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
October 8 release

Windows RT updates:

UEFI firmware updates.
System Aggregator firmware updates.
Various device driver updates to enhance the Windows 8.1 update experience, and optimizations for using Type Cover 2 or Surface Touch Cover 2.
Note These updates should be applied prior to updating to Windows 8.1.

Windows RT 8.1 Preview updates:

All existing Windows RT drivers and firmware were migrated to Windows RT 8.1.
Multiple updates that take advantage of improvements in Windows RT 8.1 including:
Increased battery life.
Optimizations for using Type Cover 2 or Surface Touch Cover 2.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any issues with their Type or Touch Cover since the last round of updates? Just restarted today to install updates (I am running 8.1 RTM by the way) and now the keyboard isn't recognized. Trackpad works but the keys do not.

EDIT: Uninstalling the updates didn't solve my issue so I was forced to refresh Windows. After the refresh the keyboard worked. Installed the new updates and firmware and everything is still working.

Last edited:

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have any issues with their Type or Touch Cover since the last round of updates? Just restarted today to install updates (I am running 8.1 RTM by the way) and now the keyboard isn't recognized. Trackpad works but the keys do not.

EDIT: Uninstalling the updates didn't solve my issue so I was forced to refresh Windows. After the refresh the keyboard worked. Installed the new updates and firmware and everything is still working.

Just happened to me - i call shenanigans :) .. i am guessing i lose my config if i 'refresh windows' .. how do you even do that?

update !! - worked with a tech @ surface support - the refresh definitely fixes it - he's going to escalate this as an issue internally

Last edited:

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Just happened to me - i call bull**** .. i am guessing i lose my config if i 'refresh windows' .. how do you even do that?

Weird. Hope this isn't a widespread issue. Are you running Windows 8 or 8.1?

Here's how you refresh your Surface without losing any settings, apps, or files.

Windows 8
You can refresh Windows without losing any settings or files. Go to Charms Bar -> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> General -> Refresh your PC without affecting your files

Windows 8.1
You can refresh Windows without losing any settings or files. Go to Charms Bar -> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Update and recovery -> Recovery -> Refresh your PC without affecting your files

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been running 8.1 since the Preview version was made available, and haven't had any issues. Today, mine just did the usual updates on a restart. Yet, although the restart was a little longer -2 auto restarts, my PC Info and Desktop screen still read 8.1 Preview, etc.
FWIW, I did get a screen that reads:
Coming Soon
In the final version of Windows 8.1, we'll add help and tips to this app...
This came up when I dragged the Word tile to a new location.

I have no issues with a type keyboard. Those with keyboard issues, did you try detaching and re-attaching it/them? Best of luck.

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
My keyboard also no longer works even though the touchpad does work. I've rebooted, disconnected keyboard, but nothing works so far. I can't refresh right now so any suggestions would be great...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My keyboard also no longer works even though the touchpad does work. I've rebooted, disconnected keyboard, but nothing works so far. I can't refresh right now so any suggestions would be great...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

You might be forced to refresh unfortunately. I tried uninstalling the updates, drivers, etc. nothing worked. Even the troubleshooter couldn't find any issues. Luckily the refresh doesn't touch any personal files, apps, or settings so you don't lose anything. My Surface took about 20-30 minutes to refresh after all is said and done.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

My Touch Cover now don't respond to most keys. Only the trackpad and media keys work.

After checking the change log of firmware updates, it was clearly indicated that this firmware must be installed BEFORE 8.1 which was a bummer for me not reading beforehand.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
My Touch Cover now don't respond to most keys. Only the trackpad and media keys work.

After checking the change log of firmware updates, it was clearly indicated that this firmware must be installed BEFORE 8.1 which was a bummer for me not reading beforehand.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

The downside of being overly anxious techies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb