Surface 2: screen resolution and apps

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
I think they will work just fine, because the apps should work on any resolution, because you can use them on your computer running win 8 too, and there you have many different resolutions.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, there are plenty of other Windows 8 devices with 1080p screens (hell, there are several with resolutions higher than that). So assuming app developers had their apps designed to take advantage of the resolution found on devices like the Surface Pro, plenty of ultrabooks and laptops, desktops, etc., then you should be fine. There is only one Windows 8 app store, after all, so they're all coming from the same place.

TechyMexican

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a Dell XPS 27 which has a resolution of 2560x1440 and all the 'modern' apps work great on the computer. they just need to be updated for windows 8.1 as some seem to have issues with snapping in certain positions.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I currently own a Dell XPS 27 which has a resolution of 2560x1440 and all the 'modern' apps work great on the computer. they just need to be updated for windows 8.1 as some seem to have issues with snapping in certain positions.

Hopefully they get right on that, then. Glitchy software is never fun.

But if apps are supporting that resolution without issues (besides Snapping), then the Surface 2 will be perfectly fine.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I ask because I remember reading that the Nook app for iPad was updated to take advantage of the Retina display and wondered if the Windows app would need to be updated for Surface 2 or Surface Pro.

NOOK for iPad now with Retina content, improved highlighting features

That's only because they had no reason to make the app have a higher resolution. It was in the iOS App Store, and the only thing that could access it was iPads. What would be the point in creating "retina" content for it, if there was no device available with a high enough screen resolution to display it? But once the new iPad came out (not to be confused with the new, new iPad, or is it the new iPad 2? iPad 2 new? iPad new 2? Bah, forget it...), there was finally a device with a higher resolution, and would benefit from such an upgrade. As such, Nook (and many others) updated their apps to take advantage of this higher resolution.

That is not the case with the Surface 2, however. There are many devices that for a while now have used a 1080p screen (prime example and the Surface RT's companion: the Surface Pro). As such, so long as app developers had enough sense to make sure they were letting users with higher resolution screens take full advantage of that, all the apps are already supporting the Surface 2's 1080p screen (in fact, they have been for a year now).

So you have nothing to worry. All your favorite apps (should) already have 1080p+ graphics, so you can utilize that beautiful screen from day 1. Cheers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon