Windows 8.1

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
For those having trouble, this might help. I checked the marketplace earlier and the update wasn't there. I switched to desktop mode opened the charm bar chose settings then control panel. I opened windows update and searched for any new updates. A little Surface update showed up, it was maybe only a few MB. I installed that and it had my Surface restart, then once restarted I opened up the marketplace and there it was! I'm now on 8.1!

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Also, for those having trouble once 8.1 is installed. Go through the same control panel windows update procedure I mentioned above and update. I was having trouble opening my Bank of America app so I restarted the device and checked for updates, installed them and now everything works.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
So how to get the download to work? unless it is working. So i clicked on the link to 8.1 to the store, takes me direct to the download page. It says you can download hwile you work and its 2 gb . i click DL and the dots starts for a bit and then it goes back to the store and i dont see anything, not even sure i am downloading or anything. I dont see any new updates using desktop mode or the pc settings in metro. The build still says 8.1 preview .

So is there a download status bar or its downloading without telling you? I dont think its doing anything. Odd that i see no progress downloading.

yunchikan

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So how to get the download to work? unless it is working. So i clicked on the link to 8.1 to the store, takes me direct to the download page. It says you can download hwile you work and its 2 gb . i click DL and the dots starts for a bit and then it goes back to the store and i dont see anything, not even sure i am downloading or anything. I dont see any new updates using desktop mode or the pc settings in metro. The build still says 8.1 preview .

So is there a download status bar or its downloading without telling you? I dont think its doing anything. Odd that i see no progress downloading.

that happened to me on my surface rt. I restarted and tried to click download again and you should be able to see the download progress bar.

I just finished updating on my surface and all my pc settings are reset?
when I installed the 8.1 preview, it saved my pc settings and stuff. now I have to remake my start screen, pc settings, etc. thought it would sync from skydrive? anyone have this problem as well?

Last edited:

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
My old Pentium 4 test-machine has been running windows 8 without any problems. However, when I try to update to 8.1 - I am told that my CPU is unsupported (related to PAE, NX, SSE2). I thought that the hardware requirements for Win 8 and 8.1 are exactly the same. Isn't that the case?

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
>>My old Pentium 4 test-machine has been running windows 8 without any problems.

Just out of my curiosity, how did you install Win 8 onto your Pentium 4 machine? I have a laptop I bought in 2004, the CPU is Pentium 4, I think it's Northwood core if my memory is correct. Last year I tried to install Win 8 preview version on this laptop, but the the installation aborted with the message of hardware unsupported, so I never tried again.

Ferdinand Cullen

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone is having problem with Skydrive Desktop app on Windows 8.1 ?
Its not opening..! But the Skydrive app from the Start working flawlessly(Its syncing with the skydrive folder)

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Just out of my curiosity, how did you install Win 8 onto your Pentium 4 machine? I have a laptop I bought in 2004, the CPU is Pentium 4, I think it's Northwood core if my memory is correct. Last year I tried to install Win 8 preview version on this laptop, but the the installation aborted with the message of hardware unsupported, so I never tried again.
I just used the DVD and it installed without any problems. No tweaks at all!

kashk5

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone is having problem with Skydrive Desktop app on Windows 8.1 ?
Its not opening..! But the Skydrive app from the Start working flawlessly(Its syncing with the skydrive folder)

The Skydrive desktop app has been discontinued for Windows 8.1 in favor of the Metro app. You can still access all of your files through Explorer (Skydrive link is on the left sidebar).

MooCoo

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Here it took like 5min to download (corporate connection, wooop), and more than 30min to install. The damn thing had to restart 3 times to apply the update!!!
I left my pc to download overnight (after watching it download just 30% in three hours!), and in the morning it was ready for me just to sign in.

MooCoo

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow, this surprises me, I thought I only have about 6~7GB of storage space left, but after RT 8.1 update, I notice that now I have 12GB of space available!! So the update file must have been deleted automatically along with other system files!!
I had 24gb free before the update, and now I have like 32gb. This is nice!

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Disappointed in IE11. While stability has improved from the preview, it is slow paging back like IE10 and still randomly crashes. This is unacceptable in a tablet that doesn't have any other browsers available. But at least it is good enough to post on WPC again, the forums seem to be working OK again although the main page crashes frequently.

It is nice having a working Photos app again. The Store works again on my non-Microsoft user accounts too. They did seem to clean up a lot of functionality.

Evidently it silently installs updates as well. Quite a bit of my battery drained overnight.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Disappointed in IE11. While stability has improved from the preview, it is slow paging back like IE10 and still randomly crashes. This is unacceptable in a tablet that doesn't have any other browsers available. But at least it is good enough to post on WPC again, the forums seem to be working OK again although the main page crashes frequently.

It is nice having a working Photos app again. The Store works again on my non-Microsoft user accounts too. They did seem to clean up a lot of functionality.

Evidently it silently installs updates as well. Quite a bit of my battery drained overnight.

It evidently has something to do with the (relatively slow) Tegra 3, how heavy RT is, and the fact that sites (like WPCentral, which is ironic given the situation) are actually more optimized for WebKit.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

Worry not my friend. In case you haven't heard there's a WPCentral app on its way to Windows8.1

Sent from my Nexus 7

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
IE hasn't crashed on me but it did freeze up once, wonder if the website had anything to do with it. Also, wasn't there a Bing live tile on the start screen before the update? Did that go away?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb