No option for logging into local account after 8.1 update?

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
So I'm updating some of our Surface Pros at work today and when logging into one of them after the update I get a prompt to confirm my local admin account password. Click Next and I get a prompt to login in with a Microsoft account. I can't find a way to bypass this. I seem to recall in the past that there was an option to login locally but there is no option that I can find. I ended up using our licensing account to get past it. The crazy thing is it converted my admin account to the MS account. I then had to create a new admin account and delete the MS account.

Was looking this up online and found someone who had this after installing 8.1 preview. His solution was to key in some dummy email and in the error text there is a link for local account login. It's hard to believe that MS would make it so difficult to login locally.

Going to try the email workaround on the next machine but was wondering if anyone has experienced this or has a better solution. Or maybe I'm completely missing something.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It is possible to add another account, as shown here.

I just went to charms>settings>change PC settings>create new account and this page appeared.

garyjk

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
you can do it. swipe in from the side, and choose settings and then change pc settings
select accounts. i'm not sure of the exact verbiage, but I think it's something like disconnect, then you can use your local account. if you have issues, post back.

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Choose create a new Microsoft account, and then you will see the option to use your own local account, sneaky way of hiding it

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the tips. Very helpful.

I noticed another issue when trying to install certain apps on a local account. Again it asks for a MS account and as far as I can tell no way to bypass it

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Of course an account is used for billing and accounting, paid or free.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Of course an account is used for billing and accounting, paid or free.

I understand the billing aspect but don't understand converting the local account to the MS account.

With any new hardware we create a local admin account. I guess we'll have to change to using our licensing account.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My local account is my domain login, but still use Microsoft account for app purchase. May not be applicable to everyone though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss