I am finding searching from the charm bar extremely slow to make this unusable. Anyone else here with the same problem?

Mark
    10-19-2013 04:49 PM
    Quite the opposite for me. Really fast and love the layout of the results.
    10-19-2013 05:14 PM
    Yes, my ThinkPad 2 became very sluggish with everything in general. Yet the new search is impossible to use. The keyboard hangs up and keystrokes are so delayed its painful. What happened.? I had to pin bing to my start screen from ie just so o could search the web.
    10-19-2013 08:15 PM
    Yes this is exactly what I found on my surface :-(
    10-19-2013 11:47 PM
    Ok. Found the source of the problem. I had set a vhd on the sd card. Removing this and transferring files to the root of the card has solved the speed issue.

Mark
    10-20-2013 02:56 AM
    I have a 64gb micro SD and I pulled it completely from the device. No dice, still have heavy lag. Oh and to boot, I can't post to this forum unless I use the ie in desktop
    10-20-2013 05:44 AM
    I have a 64gb micro SD and I pulled it completely from the device. No dice, still have heavy lag. Oh and to boot, I can't post to this forum unless I use the ie in desktop
    Just to make sure ... did you check for updates after the 8.1 upgrade?
    10-20-2013 11:38 AM
    Yes I tried everything. So my fix was this:
    First I reverted back to windows8 using recovery in control panel.
    Second I uninstalled all apps.
    Third I deleted all files associated with the libraries folder.
    Rebooted
    Fourth I did all the updates for windows 8 (never launched an app throughout the process)
    Fifth I did the windows 8.1 install. (again, never launched an app throughout the process)
    Sixth I completed all the windows updates for 8.1. (again, never launched an app throughout the process)
    Rebooted
    Ran search from the charm bar. All worked perfectly without any lag. My ThinkPad is sweet once again.

I'm also writing this reply from ie in metro.
    10-20-2013 03:04 PM
    Wow, I'm glad you got it working.

You know, I ran into something sort of similar with my Surface RT back in early June, I think. This was back on RT 8.0, of course. Anyway, my Surface had become crazy slow - essentially unusable. So I initially decided to refresh it. Short version of the story - it never had enough free space to do it; got to the point where it would tell me it needed another ~30MB of space, so I'd remove ~60MB of programs, and then it would tell me it needed ~30MB more space. After several iterations of that I got really p****d off and did a complete reset - wiped out everything. Then I did just like you did. Sat and ran updates until it was current at the time before doing anything else. Tried using it for a day or so and it was much better - better than it had been in a long time, in fact. Then, since I had wiped everything out, I went ahead and installed the 8.1 preview, which though it had a few annoyances, ran pretty well. I never had some of the severe problems others were reporting with the preview. Now updated to the 8.1 final version, everything is great. Strange, like there's some fragility in the update mechanism that shows up sporadically.
    10-20-2013 06:40 PM
    Yes I tried everything. So my fix was this:
    First I reverted back to windows8 using recovery in control panel.
    Second I uninstalled all apps.
    Third I deleted all files associated with the libraries folder.
    Rebooted
    Fourth I did all the updates for windows 8 (never launched an app throughout the process)
    Fifth I did the windows 8.1 install. (again, never launched an app throughout the process)
    Sixth I completed all the windows updates for 8.1. (again, never launched an app throughout the process)
    Rebooted
    Ran search from the charm bar. All worked perfectly without any lag. My ThinkPad is sweet once again.

I'm also writing this reply from ie in metro.
    Kind of wish you didn't have to do that, but glad you got it working.
    10-21-2013 08:12 AM
    I find the same thing... can take 30-60 seconds to find something BASIC like "advanced sharing"

Really frustrating... a major fail IMO... there is no way I am going to re-install everything again, there has to be a fix for this!
    11-11-2013 04:19 PM
    The slowdown is something related to indexing http://www.surfacetablethelp.com/201...ps-issues.html.
    11-11-2013 04:44 PM
    There is a solution for Windows 8.1 (not sure that it will work in RT).
    It's work when you can't find "Windows Search" service and can't install "Windows Search" from ""Add/Remove Windows Components"
    Solution:
    [CMD]dism.exe /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:SearchEngine-Client-Package[/CMD]
    11-13-2013 08:42 PM