Searching very slow on Windows 8.1

docbot

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I am finding searching from the charm bar extremely slow to make this unusable. Anyone else here with the same problem?

Mark

justin rodgers

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes, my ThinkPad 2 became very sluggish with everything in general. Yet the new search is impossible to use. The keyboard hangs up and keystrokes are so delayed its painful. What happened.? I had to pin bing to my start screen from ie just so o could search the web.

docbot

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Found the source of the problem. I had set a vhd on the sd card. Removing this and transferring files to the root of the card has solved the speed issue.

Mark

justin rodgers

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a 64gb micro SD and I pulled it completely from the device. No dice, still have heavy lag. Oh and to boot, I can't post to this forum unless I use the ie in desktop

justin rodgers

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Yes I tried everything. So my fix was this:
First I reverted back to windows8 using recovery in control panel.
Second I uninstalled all apps.
Third I deleted all files associated with the libraries folder.
Rebooted
Fourth I did all the updates for windows 8 (never launched an app throughout the process)
Fifth I did the windows 8.1 install. (again, never launched an app throughout the process)
Sixth I completed all the windows updates for 8.1. (again, never launched an app throughout the process)
Rebooted
Ran search from the charm bar. All worked perfectly without any lag. My ThinkPad is sweet once again.

I'm also writing this reply from ie in metro.

mrpuny

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I'm glad you got it working.

You know, I ran into something sort of similar with my Surface RT back in early June, I think. This was back on RT 8.0, of course. Anyway, my Surface had become crazy slow - essentially unusable. So I initially decided to refresh it. Short version of the story - it never had enough free space to do it; got to the point where it would tell me it needed another ~30MB of space, so I'd remove ~60MB of programs, and then it would tell me it needed ~30MB more space. After several iterations of that I got really p****d off and did a complete reset - wiped out everything. Then I did just like you did. Sat and ran updates until it was current at the time before doing anything else. Tried using it for a day or so and it was much better - better than it had been in a long time, in fact. Then, since I had wiped everything out, I went ahead and installed the 8.1 preview, which though it had a few annoyances, ran pretty well. I never had some of the severe problems others were reporting with the preview. Now updated to the 8.1 final version, everything is great. Strange, like there's some fragility in the update mechanism that shows up sporadically.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes I tried everything. So my fix was this:
First I reverted back to windows8 using recovery in control panel.
Second I uninstalled all apps.
Third I deleted all files associated with the libraries folder.
Rebooted
Fourth I did all the updates for windows 8 (never launched an app throughout the process)
Fifth I did the windows 8.1 install. (again, never launched an app throughout the process)
Sixth I completed all the windows updates for 8.1. (again, never launched an app throughout the process)
Rebooted
Ran search from the charm bar. All worked perfectly without any lag. My ThinkPad is sweet once again.

I'm also writing this reply from ie in metro.

Kind of wish you didn't have to do that, but glad you got it working.

fredphoesh

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I find the same thing... can take 30-60 seconds to find something BASIC like "advanced sharing"

Really frustrating... a major fail IMO... there is no way I am going to re-install everything again, there has to be a fix for this!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa