Frustrated so far with 8.1 on my Pro

sashlon

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Like many, I've been eagerly awaiting the 8.1 upgrade for my Pro. Not because it wasn't working well (it was working VERY well) but because so many of the new features are so great.

So Friday morning I updated to 8.1 and it has been SO frustrating so far. The new tiles sizes and customizations and new features are fantastic. I REALLY like 8.1s design. But my Pro can't seem hold a WiFi signal for more than about 3 minutes. Even when I do manage to get connected, its weak. It takes ages to load anything online. On Windows 8 browsing was like lightning. I'm so frustrated with it.

Also, not 5 minutes ago, I attached my Type Cover, and the Surface randomly rebooted.

I tried a Refresh, it helped a little. But right now this is borderline unusable. I guess I could roll back to 8, but that would be really disappointing.

Anyone else having similar issues? Can anyone help me out?

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My update to 8.1 on my Surface Pro 128GB was troublefree. I am really enjoying the upgrade.

Using the Win8 IE version, I have had one or two instances of pages freezing for a while, but I also had this issue with 8.0.

The bug where the Pro sometimes doesn't detect that the Type Cover is folded back (and therefore refuses to pop-up the on-screen keyboard in metro apps) has happened once for me, but it's so far way less frequent than on 8.0.

I can't complain - the upgrade was totally smooth for me. (Also went completely smoothly on an ancient Core2Duo desktop my kids use.)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Like many, I've been eagerly awaiting the 8.1 upgrade for my Pro. Not because it wasn't working well (it was working VERY well) but because so many of the new features are so great.

So Friday morning I updated to 8.1 and it has been SO frustrating so far. The new tiles sizes and customizations and new features are fantastic. I REALLY like 8.1s design. But my Pro can't seem hold a WiFi signal for more than about 3 minutes. Even when I do manage to get connected, its weak. It takes ages to load anything online. On Windows 8 browsing was like lightning. I'm so frustrated with it.

Also, not 5 minutes ago, I attached my Type Cover, and the Surface randomly rebooted.

I tried a Refresh, it helped a little. But right now this is borderline unusable. I guess I could roll back to 8, but that would be really disappointing.

Anyone else having similar issues? Can anyone help me out?

Sadly that is pretty much a checklist of the problems I am having after the update with the exception of Typecover reboots and the addition of persistent IE11 crashes and restarts. I am also finding the Skydrive integration to be an absolute nightmare with incessant hangs while it claims it is downloading files already downloaded. With more than 70GB worth of files on skydrive this is not a minor nuisance. BTW, the fact that the supposedly improved autocorrect insists on replacing skydrive with skydiver is just embarrassing. I have rolled back to Windows 8 twice and tried reinstalling but versions of the same problems rapidly reappear. Having checked event viewer, I have found on each occasion errors running in the hundreds (cumulatively more than 1000). The stupid Bing Weather app alone has more than 300 errors, all related to OS permissions. To say disappointing would be quite the understatement.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Are there no Windows Updates waiting to be installed? My RT got like 4 right after upgrading to 8.1, one of which was a Firmware update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss