IE11 crashing constantly after upgrading to 8.1

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The problem is being reported elsewhere as well and is not limited to RT. I have the issue with both my Surface Pro and Dell XPS 12. The fact that IE 11 remembers the page that was open makes it slightly less annoying but it is still very irritating. I wish I was one of those saying the upgrade experience was perfect. I have found it to be problematic enough on both machines that I rolled back to 8 and then reinstalled 8.1. That has provided only slightly better results.

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I went from 8 to 8.1 preview, back to 8 when my RT died (preview no longer available) and now up to 8.1.

Absolutely conclusive that modern IE goes like a whippet on 8 and like a sloth on 8.1.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I had these issues immediately after upgrading to 8.1 on the Surface Pro but after several more updates IE11 has been rock solid, not a single hiccup ( IE is used 80% of the time on a daily basis). Just a guess but it seemed to me that the Adobe Flash update and the latest firmware update did the trick.

I have the Surface Pro 2 now and it has been flawless out of the box.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1. I'm seeing random closing of metro IE and it does seem like the pages load slower.

On 8.0 with the different adblockers installed it sped up my browsing speed. Now my Surface browses like it did on 8.0 without those adblockers installed. I'll check those out when I get home.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Well after a few days of being solid it appears like IE is again choking. It's not as bad as it was before, but particularly on this site, if there are a lot of comments on an article and I try to respond it's very unresponsive and flakey navigating the text box and typing.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
You know, after I upgraded I forgot all about Tracking Protection Lists. They were removed during the update.

In 8.1 this is controlled in the Metro IE11. Open IE11 in Metro, swipe in the charms bar, select settings, then privacy. You can then add Tracking Protection Lists from there. IE is running quite a bit better now, although it is too soon to tell if the flakiness is completely gone.

Edit: Well, looks like commenting on WPC articles is still next to impossible and IE just crashed again. Still, it is faster with the lists enabled.

2nd Edit: On WPC articles, if I hit "plain text editor" things work fine.

Last edited:

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up. That has improved thing with the browser so much it even loads this site quicker. Although mystified why it is a optional update which at first looked like there wasn't anything to install.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I was getting loads of ie11 touch crashes, updated and now all my desktop crashes when i look at or do anything, even windows explorer. I'm doing a full wipe reset to see if that fixes it.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't having crashes but after installing this optional update (that should be critical) IE is loading much smoother now.

AngusSpence

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
IE11 upgrade on surface RT has made my user experience hell. Microsoft yet again release something that kills almost everything that worked before the upgrade. Example - the back button seems to freeze but in fact needs a double click. The add new tabs moved from swipe top to bottom - Why?? favs don't display the same. Browsing is now like treacle. Home page setting is ignored and it seems to open last used web page lord knows why. Trying a check for updates today. The upgrade process took over 4 hours - if Microsoft really want to compete in the tablet market they have to fully emulate the I-pad experience for users. This surface is going out the window if it does not improve with updates in the next month. I used to love my surface until Microsoft f**kd it up yet again with totally crap upgrade.:cry:

misticpete

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Yep me too, I also have problem on ebay with IE, Chrome and firefox.... its all gone to Sh*t since I upgraded... lets just try and make everyones lives a little more frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GGggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrr:angry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte