Surface RT Windows 8.1 Battery Drain

Steven Soto

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else having this battery drain issue, I recently updated to windows 8.1. It seems to have drain in standby, like the 8.1 preview did. Any solutions thanks!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I didn't get the RT preview but I did update to 8.1. No difference in battery from before. I can't say if it is better or worse than before but I still don't need to take the charger with me to work. I get home and its just under a half. You seeing more drain? I would guess you might have some of that beta/preview debug code lingering on.

infinidim

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I didn't get the RT preview but I did update to 8.1. No difference in battery from before. I can't say if it is better or worse than before but I still don't need to take the charger with me to work. I get home and its just under a half. You seeing more drain? I would guess you might have some of that beta/preview debug code lingering on.

Not seen any increase in battery drain since 8.1 on the Surface RT. Went straight from 8.0 to 8.1 and didn't install preview.

tpbklake

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else having this battery drain issue, I recently updated to windows 8.1. It seems to have drain in standby, like the 8.1 preview did. Any solutions thanks!

I upgraded from the RT 8.1 Preview to RT 8.1 GA on Thursday night and I am experiencing more battery drain than I did on 8.1 Preview. I already had Bluetooth enabled on 8.1 Preview and did not experience the battery drain on the 8.1 Preview.

I have tried turning Bluetooth off and it did not seem to help. The only difference in my application mix is that I have installed the official Facebook app that became available with 8.1.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I may be having this issue as well, it sure seems like I'm losing battery on standby but I haven't looked at it closely. I also installed the new Facebook app and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if that was causing problems.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I will also say that by never letting my surface discharge below 7% I've been able to keep almost all my design charge capacity after 35 charges! this is a LOT better than my first surface which I let die a lot and lost almost 2000mah of charge capacity.

Moral of story, don't let the battery die!

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My Surface RT has gone from 8.0 -> 8.1 Preview ->8.1 RTM -> 8.1 GA and currently it still lasts about 10 hours doing my daily work- yesterday from 7:30am - 5:30pm when it prompted it is down to 10% battery life. It's always connected to Wi-Fi by the way.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi...

Been a lurker for some time, but wanted to chime in on this. Am experiencing similar issues Wirth battery life after the update. This is not the only thing though. I'll create a new thread and list the major issues that I am facing - maybe if you guys can comment/ advise etc.

Thanks.

Edit: Though, I will say this, I am enjoying using 8.1 - both RT and the regular versions!!! This is what 8.0 should have been! Oh well... better late than never!

6Kings

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a huge battery drain when I upgraded my Lenovo tablet from 8.0 to 8.1. Spent a few days trying to figure out and eventually found the bluetooth driver was broken during the upgrade. I downloaded and reinstalled it and now the battery drain is back to normal. This isn't Surface RT per se but it might help others.

Snazrael

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Also experiencing this issue. Getting about a day and a half of System Uptime with about 4hrs of actual usage whether Bluetooth is on or off.

Steven Soto

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Alright so after some days I noticed it would discharge faster when I'm connected to WiFi, when its disconnected it doesn't drain as fast! Idk see if you guys get the same result.

blindfromthesun

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
This is kinda related but my Surface 2 has been getting the black screen issue just like my old RT. If it happens again, I'm returning this pos. When I first started getting the black screen I assumed it was the battery. I almost never knew if my battery fully discharged or had the black screen. Anyone have a similar issue?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs