The Verge reviews of Surface 2 and Surface pro 2

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Then it must be the apps he was referring to, right?

Or he just wanted to hate on Surface.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Go to 1:18 in the video. "It's a much better media machine than ever, a great way to watch Netflix movies (demonstrates snapped view/multi tasking with Netflix running), but frankly the ipad is still better for that, and that's not what the surface 2 is for anyways." After that statement he quickly makes a complaint about not being able to run x86 apps LOL.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
lol, go to 1:18 in the video. "It's a much better media machine than ever, a great way to watch Netflix movies (demonstrates snapped view/multi tasking with Netflix running), but frankly the ipad is still better for that, and that's not what the surface 2 is for anyways."

Tbh I didn't like the review or agree with it all that much.

It might be me falling for the marketing machine, but the iPad still isn't great at being productive. Less so than Android even (the keyboard options are better on Android). Surface 2 has full office, and while it's far less necessary than before it's still the standard. The Netflix app is good. The display is good. It's good.

The valid comparison being made is to the ASUS tablet, though. I see a good case for considering that over Surface 2. It has its plusses and minuses though.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Tbh I didn't like the review or agree with it all that much.

It might be me falling for the marketing machine, but the iPad still isn't great at being productive. Less so than Android even (the keyboard options are better on Android). Surface 2 has full office, and while it's far less necessary than before it's still the standard. The Netflix app is good. The display is good. It's good.

The valid comparison being made is to the ASUS tablet, though. I see a good case for considering that over Surface 2. It has its plusses and minuses though.

I stopped watching the review when he stated the tegra 3 was a dual-core processor. It's sad to see these days that more and more tech bloggers not knowing the specs or the background of the products they write about. I saw Anandtech's review of the Asus T100 and he seemed to love it. His main complete seemed to be about color calibration compared to other models, but the overall take was that it "redefined the entry level windows notebook". I'm still not crazy about having full x86 windows on a tablet though (just my personal opinion), and most of what I would use a tablet for outside of office on the go, is on the metro side of windows. So I might end up getting a surface 2, or a surface RT if I find one for under $200 on craigslist/ebay lol.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Go to 1:18 in the video. "It's a much better media machine than ever, a great way to watch Netflix movies (demonstrates snapped view/multi tasking with Netflix running), but frankly the ipad is still better for that, and that's not what the surface 2 is for anyways." After that statement he quickly makes a complaint about not being able to run x86 apps LOL.
if that is an accurate quote from the review then it sounds like he was referring specifically to the Netflix app. Complaints about a particular version of the Netflix app is fair game. I have 8 different devices with different operating systems with native Netflix apps and they are all somewhat different... Enough to impact the viewing experience.

but then again maybe I'm being too charitable to to reviewer.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Seem like fair reviews to me, other than the odd comment about video/Netflix being better on the iPad. Seem to be in line with what most people believe about these products: excellent improved hardware, with software that doesn't have the ecosystem and/or is trying to straddle the line between tablet and laptop. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff in this review.
I will still be getting a Windows RT tablet, but am holding out to see what Nokia might reveal.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Seem like fair reviews to me, other than the odd comment about video/Netflix being better on the iPad. Seem to be in line with what most people believe about these products: excellent improved hardware, with software that doesn't have the ecosystem and/or is trying to straddle the line between tablet and laptop. Not exactly groundbreaking stuff in this review.
I will still be getting a Windows RT tablet, but am holding out to see what Nokia might reveal.

Yeah and the part where the Tegra 3 and 4 is a dual core lol.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

Stupid iCnet.

This isn't a review. It's not a product announcement. It's a report of a "launch party", which does require some opinion. The fact is there, though, that very few people showed up at midnight to buy one. That doesn't mean they aren't going to sell well, or that people aren't going to buy them. It just means at that particular store there wasn't a good turn out (remember, the Bay Area is close to the home of Apple and Google).

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I haven't gone The Verge this year and refuse to anymore. I'm not going to give a site that biased against MS products any hits ever. I suggest you all do the same and just ignore them. They'll never change and you know this.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't gone The Verge this year and refuse to anymore. I'm not going to give a site that biased against MS products any hits ever. I suggest you all do the same and just ignore them. They'll never change and you know this.

Aside from the "pro-Apple" bias many people think they have, I'm personally not a fan of them reporting non-tech news. That's my main reason for not visiting them as much anymore.

Kevin OQuinn

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Aside from the "pro-Apple" bias many people think they have, I'm personally not a fan of them reporting non-tech news. That's my main reason for not visiting them as much anymore.

Yep, I'm quoting myself. Case-in-point: The Verge didn't even give the new Lumia a spot at the top of the site. No focus has been put on it, even though it's a huge announcement from a major vendor.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This isn't a review. It's not a product announcement. It's a report of a "launch party", which does require some opinion. The fact is there, though, that very few people showed up at midnight to buy one. That doesn't mean they aren't going to sell well, or that people aren't going to buy them. It just means at that particular store there wasn't a good turn out (remember, the Bay Area is close to the home of Apple and Google).

I saw pictures on instagram of stores with easily over 80-100 people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99