how to get websites in desktop view?

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I just got the surface and I think it s a really nice device bit I cannot figure out how to get webpages in desktop view. I am getting the mobile site.

chinesepiratefood

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
The only way I know of to change that on IE is just a temporary change I think. Go to the desktop IE, press F12 to open the developer tools, go to the emulation side bar option. In browser profile pick desktop. I have never seen a mobile version of any site on my surface though.

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
This has happened on my original RT since I updated to the Windows 8.1 preview. The websites in question are using a "bad" browser detection algorithm. On most websites it helps putting the domain into IEs compatibility list (open desktop IE, go to the tools menu and look for compatibility).

Most likely this will rectify itself within a month or so though as more people upgrade and complain to the websites in question.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Seems like a good explanation to me. Examples of these "mobile" websites would be good, so we could confirm this is the case.

segana

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Might not be the same cause, but I experienced the same issue after an update and simply found that the zoom setting for IE11 had been set at over 200%.

This meant the viewport was very small and thus responsive websites served the mobile versions.

Changing the zoom back to normal solved this for me.

lokiduck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue. It only has happened to me for the wpcentral forums. It loads the mobile version of it for what ever reason.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I just tried redtube.com and i defaults to the mobile version with no way to get the desktop version. On the iPad I get the desktop version.

Benjamin Preston

Aug 31, 2018
Visit site
Might not be the same cause, but I experienced the same issue after an update and simply found that the zoom setting for IE11 had been set at over 200%.

This meant the viewport was very small and thus responsive websites served the mobile versions.

Changing the zoom back to normal solved this for me.

its 2018 and i just bought a surface 3, i had my zoom set to 200 as well, this fixed it for me, thanks a lot haha

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon