Surface 2: Internet Explorer keeps crashing and closing

Daniel Curry

Banned
May 6, 2013
Visit site
Anybody else having this trouble? It's incredibly annoying. I reckon it's happened about thirty times since I got my Surface 2 on Saturday.

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it has happened to me as well a few times. Seems to be very spontaneous, and not connected to site loading or browsing. I can sit, read an article and not touch anything, and all of a sudden IE closes. This is IE "Metro" btw.

Daniel Curry

Banned
May 6, 2013
Visit site
Desktop or Metro IE?

Applied lots of updates this morning, don't know if that is worth a try too (check for updates).

Tim

Nope, still happens after the updates. I'll speak to Microsoft Support and let you know how I get on.

Yeah it has happened to me as well a few times. Seems to be very spontaneous, and not connected to site loading or browsing. I can sit, read an article and not touch anything, and all of a sudden IE closes. This is IE "Metro" btw.

Yep, exactly. Very strange!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine never crashes but if I switch apps and try to go back to IE it doesn't appear in my app's tray... so I have to click on it on the Start screen and it pops back up (not relaunch, it appears as if it was never closed to begin with)

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's not the S2 it's 8.1. It happens in my RT and desk top pc.

I agree. I have the same problem with my laptop (Core i5, 8GB RAM) with Windows Pro 8.1: "Metro" IE hangs randomly every few minutes. Desktop IE is fine, tough.

This is a serious problem in a key part of the OS. MS must acknowledge and fix it ASAP.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It's happening routinely on my Surface Pro with 8.1 installed. I've been trying to use the "metro" side more often but it doesn't work with my work requirements at all (nor does the desktop IE11, even in compatibility mode). I can't even get it to remember passwords or what to delete upon closing or anything. Just seems a bit all over the place. I am trying my best to move away from Chrome 100% but can't with these issues. I'm sure it will get better but it's a pain right now.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been having this issue on my Surface for a while, so It may not be exclusively tied to the Surface 2. With that being said, the Surface had various minor annoyances at launch as well. It wasn't until a few firmware updates that things got great.

einsicht

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Let's hope a software fix shows up real soon to solve this extremely annoying issue! It has been happening to me since day one of upgrading my Surface RT to Windows 8.1. For no reason and with no real pattern, metro IE closes to start screen while staying in background (with all tabs needing to be reloaded when you invoke back the IE). One possible pattern I noticed are wikipedia pages once you've had one open for a longer while, but it could as well have been a coincidence.
Anyways, I've been investigating the issue and discovered there is a thread on Microsoft's official bugs page already opened. Let us believe they do look into it. At least we're not alone.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Just as an fyi on this thread, IE crashed on me 9 times last night during a 2 1/2 hour class on my original Surface. I think this is an OS issue. It would just hang on tabs, or just flat close itself out.

romant56

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
A temporary fix that seems to help on my machines is to go to desktop IE internet options and reset IE. If you don't check the "delete user data" or whatever also it will still keep your cookies, passwords, logins, etc. so it's not that drastic of a thing to do. I did this and don't get as many crashes as you guys.

Daniel Curry

Banned
May 6, 2013
Visit site
A temporary fix that seems to help on my machines is to go to desktop IE internet options and reset IE. If you don't check the "delete user data" or whatever also it will still keep your cookies, passwords, logins, etc. so it's not that drastic of a thing to do. I did this and don't get as many crashes as you guys.

Yeah but the fact is, you had to do something. In reality, we shouldn't have to experience this sporadic crashes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte