1080p YouTube Videos?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably a daft question here, but the Surface 2 should be able to view full 1080p HD videos on YouTube? I'm using the YouTube RT app and the 1080p resolution option is always greyed out.

Ushae

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Would also like to know this, and also what the 'best' Youtube app to install would be. I'm aware Google are complete tools right now, refusing to do any apps for Windows, but there should be some decent 3d party options right?

CensoredUser

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm the developer of Hyper for YouTube.
The issue with 1080p not being available is on the YouTube side of things. :unhappy:
YouTube has changed the way they serve their videos in 1080p (and some other qualities) to be incompatible with the way Hyper streams the videos.
This first happened about 7 days ago. All third party YouTube apps I know of no longer have 1080p or 480p available.
I am looking for a workaround, but it is not looking too good at the moment.

For 1080p videos you can always switch to the standard YouTube player in the App's settings.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
um I'm having no probablem watching 1080p videos on YouTube through IE on my Surface 2. First thing I watched was Titanfall in 1080p

Last edited:

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Screenshot (4).jpg

(I know it looks blurry thats because when I screenshot (home + volume down) the video begins to pull out of full screen)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
um I'm having now probable watching 1080p videos on YouTube through IE on my Surface 2. First thing I watched was Titanfall in 1080p

Any chance you can fix this up so I can understand you?

Do you mean:-

"I'm having no problems"

or

"I'm now having problems"

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry my onscreen keyboard is killing me right now. I'm having no problem!

Ah, ok. So maybe the third party apps need to be updated to correctly display full HD content. Or, it's limited by Google's API (would they dare do such a thing...?)

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The issue with 1080p not being available is on the YouTube side of things. :unhappy:
YouTube has changed the way they serve their videos in 1080p (and some other qualities) to be incompatible with the way Hyper streams the videos.
This first happened about 7 days ago. All third party YouTube apps I know of no longer have 1080p or 480p available.

For 1080p videos you can always switch to the standard YouTube player in the App's settings.
Hey...great app btw...just got it last night.

I had Youtube RT prior...any reason you moved on from it to work on Hyper? Just curious.

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Off topic but I love your app! It's just so good, you keep on finding more features on it all the time.

JuliaSoftorino

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
You know, we`ve just released our app - Softorino YouTube Converter
Although the name is kinda generic, It works lossless and it also saves videos to iPhones directly
Look it up)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon