Has anyone remotely controlled their desktop with Surface RT?

TheAsbo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Could it play games? I have a fairly powerful desktop that runs at a resolution of 1920x1200 and Windows 7 64-bit. Could I play something like Minecraft or XCOM: Enemy Unknown remotely with a mouse on a Surface RT? Would the different resolution be a problem? Is there a large delay or latency issue?
And what software would you use? Teamviewer or the built in Remote Desktop software?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have used the built in app to remote into my laptop and it works very well. I used the desktop version, though. I haven't tried the metro app yet. It works in a similar manner to the regular Windows remote access app. I haven't played any games but I used it to run Firefox and web browse. It resized the desktop to fit on the Surface screen and over my local network, it flew. No lag or latency issues.

Last edited:

Haxcid

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
For playing games RDP is probably not the best choice. If you want to stream games to your RT from your PC then I would suggest Splash Top personal. I also suggest a wifi connection that does 300Mbps less than that and it can be a bit flakey.

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I RDP into my desktop all the time, basically to run some software I can't yet get on the tablet!
I use the built-in app, no issues at all and very reliable.

On the off chance I want to transfer files I'll use the other windows standard "mstsc"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro