encountered problems due to magnify on startup

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Do not let magnify be part of startup. This happens, and it happened twice because I had to reboot for updates.

I have magnify on startup on my desktop and it synced through cloud on the surface.

1384039_595992347124094_967320159_n.jpg

also a BS afterwards;
1393866_595992443790751_735198548_n.jpg

Second, surface turned itself off when I plugged in headphones listening to xbmusic

segana

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Pretty sure your initial issues are the nVidia drivers. I've had similar. I seem to remember the same issue with my 1st Gen Surface which was then resolved with a driver update.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I had the same exact problem with my Surface 2. The screen froze up like that several times on the day I got it. I managed to install all the firmware updates that were available, but the screen still did that. Also had several other random issues. I figured I must have gotten a defective unit, so I called Surface support to exchange it. Already sent it back to them. Now just waiting to receive the replacement. Hopefully it will work properly. My experience with the Surface 2 I got was so disappointing. Definitely not impressed. I have a Surface RT and I haven't had any issues with it since day one.

tredmanz

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same exact problem with my Surface 2. The screen froze up like that several times on the day I got it. I managed to install all the firmware updates that were available, but the screen still did that. Also had several other random issues. I figured I must have gotten a defective unit, so I called Surface support to exchange it. Already sent it back to them. Now just waiting to receive the replacement. Hopefully it will work properly. My experience with the Surface 2 I got was so disappointing. Definitely not impressed. I have a Surface RT and I haven't had any issues with it since day one.

My old surface rt went back 3 times, whereas my surface 2 has been perfect for 3 days now - soetimes its the luck of the draw

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
That is one of the issues I had on two of my first three Surface 2's ... the random color bars. I'm on my fourth and it has been flawless until last night when browsing this site; it did that exact same thing. I think the problem with my second unit s it did that during the initial install and destroyed the unit, as such.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
So with so many people around having this issue I hope it's software related and can be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Not looking good, Microsoft.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I use my surface about 3-4 hours a day and this now occurs about once a day. Does anyone know if Microsoft is aware of this issue and if a fix is coming?

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok...because mine still does this daily. So this is "normal" at this point and there should be a fix?

Well, normal it isn't but I guess it's not hardware related and can be fixed with an update. But the funny thing is I'm 99.999% sure that this is actually caused by one of the current updates on Microsoft Update, most likely the Surface firmware from 22 October.

It happened with 2 machines here, on the third I disabled Windows Update and this one is running fine. Will keep updates disabled till Microsoft finds out what the hell is wrong.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
So what is everyone doing with this issue? Returning units over and over till you get one without? Because this is the second unit with this (others had backlight issues and actual physical damage out of the box).

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
So what is everyone doing with this issue? Returning units over and over till you get one without? Because this is the second unit with this (others had backlight issues and actual physical damage out of the box).

I am pretty sure it's software / windows updates related (likely the 22 October firmware update). I disabled Windows Update and will leave it disabled till MS identify what's wrong.

EBynum

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I received my replacement Surface 2 on Monday, and so far so good--no wonky screen. Although it concerns me that a couple people on the Microsoft Community "Surface 2 Display Crash" thread reported that their Surface 2's worked fine for a couple of weeks, and then started having this screen issue again. Software issue? Fingers crossed that mine is good for the long haul. FYI, the lot number for my replacement Surface 2 is 1343X.

My new Surface 2 also has the jiggly volume rocker that others have complained about on other threads, but it's something I can live with. It's not too horrible. The seams on either end of the top edge of this unit are flush, unlike the seams on the unit I returned, which were uneven. From my experience, the construction quality of the Surface 2 seems worse than that of the original Surface RT. Kind of disappointing to see all these issues.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine is physically built fine (the 4th one I'm on) but has the crash some of the other units had. Im going to wait it out for the first monthly firmware update and if that doesn't fix it, I'll return it. If between those two steps, its still unresolved, I'm going to ask for a refund and move on to the Nokia. I have been the loyalist of customers and I may call it quits if they don't sort this Surface mess out.

Wendy Haylett

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I had totally decided on the Surface 2 to put on Santa's list ;) ... I am so awed by the videos I've seen. So, I went to Best Buy today to do a hands-on and it was awesome! I was able to play with everything, because they actually had Internet connection, etc. Then -BOOM- the weird pixelate screen thing happened. I held the power button down then restarted it and it came back fine ... and never repeated the issue during my playing with it. But now I'm afraid there is a huge problem that may not be software since Microsoft is suggesting returns/replacements. What do you think the odds are that any unit ordered in the next few weeks will be the same manufacturing lot - probably pretty high, right? Should I still get one?? What would you guys do?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb