Excess Play in Volume Rocker

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed that the volume rocker has quite a bit of excess play.
Anyone else?
Even makes a audible noise when the tablet is shaken and seems bothersome when handling the tablet.

surfacedude

May 24, 2013
Visit site
lots of folks here are reporting this. i'd return it. if it's doing that after only a few uses, imagine what it'll be like a year from now.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I took mine back to the store and they gave me no hassle returning it. They could clearly see from the display and one they exchanged it for, the volume rocker being loose wasn't normal.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed that the volume rocker has quite a bit of excess play.
Anyone else?
Even makes a audible noise when the tablet is shaken and seems bothersome when handling the tablet.

Funny, there were lots of people with his issue when the rt released as well. You'd think they would have learned something with the production process. Definitely get an exchange, they should honor it on spot.

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
both my RT and this one made a noise if i shack it (actually my RT did...haven't shaken this one).

Didn't know it came tighter than that....always liked the feel to be honest.

Am i weird? lol

ynotbike

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Wait has anyone replaced theirs and its been better, I thought thats just how it was, mine rattles as well but works fine.

But if its an actual defect I will exchange it.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I would appreciate it if someone could confirm that theirs does not do that or is not that loose.
It make a noise even with my hand casually moving the tablet while holding it near the rocker.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Wait has anyone replaced theirs and its been better, I thought thats just how it was, mine rattles as well but works fine.

But if its an actual defect I will exchange it.

I bought my first Surface 2 in Florida while on vacation and the volume rocker rattled. When I got back to Boston I exchanged it at Best Buy and now my second one rattles too. Not sure what to do.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My S2 just started rattling a few days ago. It still works fine but I didn't buy $449 for loose buttons. Considering I'm already on my second unit, I'm going to wait like a week and then send my S2 into Microsoft for repairs. There's no point in running back to Best Buy for a replacement since their entire batch probably has a defect.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I exchanged mine this morning because of excessive volume rocker play/movement/rattle.

The replacement has the same issue as well.

I'll visit my local MS store in a few months and see what they can do for me. Wait for new devices to fill stores.

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I can return as many defective ones they want to keep shipping me.

Still waiting for ANY kind shipping notification from last weeks exchange application.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I can return as many defective ones they want to keep shipping me.

Still waiting for ANY kind shipping notification from last weeks exchange application.

How is the return process through Microsoft? Do you have to send in your tablet first or do they send you one to swap your unit with?

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
How is the return process through Microsoft? Do you have to send in your tablet first or do they send you one to swap your unit with?

I used the Advanced Exchange Program where they ship you a new one and when you get it you ship the defective one back.
They charge your CC but refund it when they get the defective one back.

Other exchanges on my RT went well but this is talking too long this time.

ZombieBacchus

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I used the Advanced Exchange Program where they ship you a new one and when you get it you ship the defective one back.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I think I will do this instead of dealing with Best Buy. Thanks again!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Haven't heard of that program before. I might have to look into that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven