Free disk space on Surface 2? Trying to decide on 32 vs 64 GB

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
There isn't anything much to install. I doubt you will be able to use much space. It has about 18GB. Could be more but I already added a few things.

johnbash612

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone tell me exactly how many GB are free on a Surface 2? Did some searches and searched forums, couldn't find anything.

Its 19.1gb I believe straight out of the box. You can uninstall some of the pre loaded apps as well. I've had the 32gb rt since launch and haven't even come close to filling it. The biggest app I have is halo which is about 1.2GB , the others are typically around 100-200MB, as low as 20kb (alarms app, music app). All my documents are stored in SkyDrive, and any media you have can be put on the expandable micro sd card. Basically, unless you are thinking about installing a ridiculous amount of apps the 32gb model is great. If anyone here has been able to fill up the 64gb model please chime in.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I am always butting up against a full drive on my 128GB Surface Pro. I know people do it successfully, but I can't imagine getting a 32GB Surface 2 with that little space free. I guess I download a lot of Win8 apps, but for me even the 64GB might feel limited on the Surface 2 at some point...

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I am always butting up against a full drive on my 128GB Surface Pro. I know people do it successfully, but I can't imagine getting a 32GB Surface 2 with that little space free. I guess I download a lot of Win8 apps, but for me even the 64GB might feel limited on the Surface 2 at some point...
Surface pro is completely different since you are installing desktop apps.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a fair number of apps and have 16GB left on my 32GB Surface 2. But, that is because I have about 13 GB on my microSD card. But that's why I have the card.

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have ~35 GB free on my 64 GB Surface 2. This after installing ~4 GB worth of apps (Halo Spartan Assault is big!).

I'm so glad that game saves in the cloud. I could uninstall it when I'm done and play again on the desktop later or when I feel like I installing again.

Daniel Curry

Banned
May 6, 2013
Visit site
After having the 64GB RT with a 64GB SD card, and seeing that I didn't need all that space, I decided to get the 32GB Surface 2, and shove my SD card in there. Then came the 200GB SkyDrive deal. Sorted! Media on SD card, documents in the cloud, and apps on the device. Nobody *really* needs the 64GB model if they have an SD card. Plus, the 32GB model is ?80 cheaper. Easy decision.

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Tablet apps in many occasions take up about 1/8 the space. On a PC you also download things you want to install (double the space), but on a tablet the download also becomes the installation. So, 32gb Surface will take you a lot farther than a Surface 2 Pro, unless you mainly play videos/music and need traditional Windows software.

robokitcat

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Well you would want to get a 64 GB model if you like storing movies, t.v. shows, and videos on your tablet. Thats not even including any pictures, apps and music that the person might want to put on the tablet. Honestly I think it all depends on the person. I love having tons of extra space so I dont ever feel limited

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a 64 gig rom and 64 gig SD card. I am never going to fill both of them.... I have out about 20 gigs worth of movies in 720-1080p. 9 movies I believe. They are in the 64 gig SD card.

The 64 gig currently has 47.4 gigs free of 54.5 useable gigs. I've download adobe and updated the video app so far. That is it.

A 32 gig is perfectly good enough with an SD card, Unless you plan to download a lot of movies, music, and apps. I personally went for the 64 because there was the best buy deal on it(check the surface 2 forums), and I prefer having a lot of space available just in case I may need it.

OH!!! I also have a terabyte external hard drive to really hold huge files like my shows( Friends, how I met your mother-damn the last episode...-, and supernatural). So yeah. A 32 gig is perfectly fine if you have the SD card or external hardrive. The 3.0 usb port on the surface is very fast, so it can read and write on my hardrive fairly quickly. No need to move my shows, and waste space, to watch them.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Get the 64GB if you can afford it. The ability to put movies, and music, etc on the SD card helps but all applications will install directly to the main memory, and if you read book or subscribe to magazines neither the Kindle app nor the Nook app have any options for storing purchased material on the SD card which means all that is stored on the system memory. Worse case you have extra memory you can't fill, but that is better then trying to uninstall stuff to free up memory.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think it comes down to what you like to do with your device. I have the 32GB model with a 32GB SD card and it's going to be a long time before I fill up all that space. I already have about 9 gigs of music stored on the SD card but not much else. Internal storage is slightly below 16GB. When I need to store movies or any large files, I only do so temporarily. After all, I don't need several movies hogging my storage since I'm only going to watch them once.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99