Airplay like function?

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Does the surface 2 have an airplay like function? Can I look at a video on the surface then transfer it to another windows 8 device?

DougB541#CB

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Does the surface 2 have an airplay like function? Can I look at a video on the surface then transfer it to another windows 8 device?
the "DLNA features work with Roku and xbox360 (and probably others...those are just the two i've noticed it recognizes).

Use the device charm to find devices you can share video/music/pictures to.

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It supports Miracast which is an open standard. You can basically mirror your whole screen + audio to a Miracast receiver and it will display on that TV. I use one of these with my Surface Pro 2 and it works very well. Someone else confirmed that it works with the Surface 2 as well.

Amazon.com: NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter - Miracast and WiDi (PTV3000): Electronics

It's worth noting that Miracast is fairly new and some older devices don't support the required protocols very well. Therefore, you might notice a lot of negative reviews for Miracast products. For example, the device I linked to works effortlessly with my Surface Pro 2, but it did not work reliably at all with my Surface Pro. Make sure you update the receiver firmware and hit Windows Update before you get started to avoid headaches.

FearL0rd

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
any Media in the Modern IE11(Videos, FlashVideos, Pictures, etc...) can be airplayed to DLNA compatible devices (PC, SmartTV's, WDTV, XBOX, etc...)

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
the "DLNA features work with Roku and xbox360 (and probably others...those are just the two i've noticed it recognizes).

Use the device charm to find devices you can share video/music/pictures to.

I was under the impression that Roku wasn't DLNA compliant and definitely not a Windows certified DLNA device?

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a WD TV Live I recently bought and the device is both DLNA and Windows compliant and works great with my surface. I can push videos, music, pictures, and internet explorer content to my TV.

SocalTouch

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
I too am very interested in learning more about this. I have a WDTV Live Plus (which apart from being a great video player that is also DLNA receiver) and am able to play videos to it from my Windows Phone (Lumia 920) using MyMediaHub or PlayTo apps.

I would love to know if Surface 2 and/or Surface Pro 2 will let me do the same as well?

peteco0403

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tested miscast? Saw paul thurrott on twitter saying surface 2 definitely doesn't support it...

I bought the netgear pushtv 3000 for my surface 2 and works ok. There is a slight delay from the touch to the screen TV, and the surface scroll on start screen and explorer runs a lot slower, like half fps. But videos, YouTube and pictures stream perfectly.

pbankey

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I too am very interested in learning more about this. I have a WDTV Live Plus (which apart from being a great video player that is also DLNA receiver) and am able to play videos to it from my Windows Phone (Lumia 920) using MyMediaHub or PlayTo apps.

I would love to know if Surface 2 and/or Surface Pro 2 will let me do the same as well?

I have a WD TV Live and can very much use playto from my surface 2 to the device. Works great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte