Can you do this with an iPad?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
..... first part deleted, as it's self explanatory in the next part...

And FYI I work at geek squad, and... lol....

LOL indeed. If you have not experienced automated backups with things other than what best buy offers on the shelf, open the door... The world us your oyster.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Loll you all seem to think he is backing up his surface to the hard drive but he is NOT doing that he is connecting the hard drive from his laptop to his surface and backing up the files on the hard drive to the surfaces built in memory so he doesn't lose important stuff when he sends his laptop in for repair.

Jessica Lares

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Small world, I know WillysJeepMan from another forum. :O

Macs sometimes have kernel panics. This is how it looks like:

TS3742_01_KP-001-en.jpg

iOS devices will just reboot.

Data backups are done automatically when you sync the device with iTunes, or if you have it done with iCloud.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Loll you all seem to think he is backing up his surface to the hard drive but he is NOT doing that he is connecting the hard drive from his laptop to his surface and backing up the files on the hard drive to the surfaces built in memory so he doesn't lose important stuff when he sends his laptop in for repair.

don't worry, we got it. copying files in one direction (or the opposite) is kinda the same thing: it's just copying files

if you're hung up on the capacity of the surface vs an ipad, ok, the surface has more storage space. for that matter a dumb copy-block and a 5Tb harddrive has more space, and doesn't require an ipad, android, or surface to operate.

even worse still, it prolly runs linux ;-)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
LOL indeed. If you have not experienced automated backups with things other than what best buy offers on the shelf, open the door... The world us your oyster.

Ah the old "you work at geek squad so you are a poser computer nerd" stab. Never heard that one on a technology forum before...

And yes I understand how automatic backups work. How the hell does that help a drive that is in a non functioning computer? Should my standalone drive just spontaneously connect to my router and back itself up to another location??

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
don't worry, we got it. copying files in one direction (or the opposite) is kinda the same thing: it's just copying files

if you're hung up on the capacity of the surface vs an ipad, ok, the surface has more storage space. for that matter a dumb copy-block and a 5Tb harddrive has more space, and doesn't require an ipad, android, or surface to operate.

even worse still, it prolly runs linux ;-)

Dude I swear, you just don't even follow what anybody is saying?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to play Star Wars: Forces of Corruption so I plugged in my external optical drive, installed it to my SP2 and created a bootable image file so I wouldn't have to keep it plugged in. Then I took the drive out, plugged in my wireless mouse, then plugged it into my 23' monitor and had a blast.

Screw ipads

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ah the old "you work at geek squad so you are a poser computer nerd" stab. Never heard that one on a technology forum before...

And yes I understand how automatic backups work. How the hell does that help a drive that is in a non functioning computer? Should my standalone drive just spontaneously connect to my router and back itself up to another location??

Drives don't normally connect with spontaneity for me, no. I usually use and adapter to connect it to whatever machine I want too have access to it's contents. Slaving a drive to a working device ( tablet, phone, drive bank, whatever) means backing up the contents is quick n easy, while waiting on your replacement part/parts.

I don't understand why people are excited about slaving a drive really.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to play Star Wars: Forces of Corruption so I plugged in my external optical drive, installed it to my SP2 and created a bootable image file so I wouldn't have to keep it plugged in. Then I took the drive out, plugged in my wireless mouse, then plugged it into my 23' monitor and had a blast.

Screw ipads

Yes, isos are cool as heck, and no DVDs to screw up.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That's a pretty disingenuous comparison since it requires a powered USB hub and requires that the iPad be Jailbroken. The presenter clearly says that you need iFile from Cydia...which is only available to jailbroken devices. There is no jailbreak available for 6.1.3 nor 7.0.x

I really don't know what your point is. No other tablet is doing what was demonstrated as being done on the Surface. "Take a USB drive, plug it in, and it works."

Why is that so difficult to understand?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven