xandros9 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-26-2013 10:46 AM
    by the way:

other developments:

xandros9 likes this.
    10-26-2013 12:06 PM
    ^Oh, Good
    10-26-2013 12:13 PM
    Loll you all seem to think he is backing up his surface to the hard drive but he is NOT doing that he is connecting the hard drive from his laptop to his surface and backing up the files on the hard drive to the surfaces built in memory so he doesn't lose important stuff when he sends his laptop in for repair.
    rav16 and cckgz4 like this.
    10-26-2013 03:47 PM
    Surface ftw!
    10-26-2013 03:51 PM
    Small world, I know WillysJeepMan from another forum. :O

Macs sometimes have kernel panics. This is how it looks like:

ts3742_01_kp-001-en.jpg

iOS devices will just reboot.

Data backups are done automatically when you sync the device with iTunes, or if you have it done with iCloud.
    Laura Knotek and xandros9 like this.
    10-26-2013 04:46 PM
    Loll you all seem to think he is backing up his surface to the hard drive but he is NOT doing that he is connecting the hard drive from his laptop to his surface and backing up the files on the hard drive to the surfaces built in memory so he doesn't lose important stuff when he sends his laptop in for repair.

don't worry, we got it. copying files in one direction (or the opposite) is kinda the same thing: it's just copying files

if you're hung up on the capacity of the surface vs an ipad, ok, the surface has more storage space. for that matter a dumb copy-block and a 5Tb harddrive has more space, and doesn't require an ipad, android, or surface to operate.

even worse still, it prolly runs linux ;-)
    10-26-2013 05:07 PM
    Luckily us mac users only have to worry about a kernel panic if we modify the computer while its still on
    10-26-2013 09:20 PM
    LOL indeed. If you have not experienced automated backups with things other than what best buy offers on the shelf, open the door... The world us your oyster.
    Ah the old "you work at geek squad so you are a poser computer nerd" stab. Never heard that one on a technology forum before...

And yes I understand how automatic backups work. How the hell does that help a drive that is in a non functioning computer? Should my standalone drive just spontaneously connect to my router and back itself up to another location??
    rav16 likes this.
    10-26-2013 10:14 PM
    don't worry, we got it. copying files in one direction (or the opposite) is kinda the same thing: it's just copying files

if you're hung up on the capacity of the surface vs an ipad, ok, the surface has more storage space. for that matter a dumb copy-block and a 5Tb harddrive has more space, and doesn't require an ipad, android, or surface to operate.

Dude I swear, you just don't even follow what anybody is saying?
    rav16 likes this.
    10-26-2013 10:17 PM
    I wanted to play Star Wars: Forces of Corruption so I plugged in my external optical drive, installed it to my SP2 and created a bootable image file so I wouldn't have to keep it plugged in. Then I took the drive out, plugged in my wireless mouse, then plugged it into my 23' monitor and had a blast.

Screw ipads
    xandros9, montsa007 and squire777 like this.
    10-26-2013 10:53 PM
    Ah the old "you work at geek squad so you are a poser computer nerd" stab. Never heard that one on a technology forum before...

And yes I understand how automatic backups work. How the hell does that help a drive that is in a non functioning computer? Should my standalone drive just spontaneously connect to my router and back itself up to another location??
    Drives don't normally connect with spontaneity for me, no. I usually use and adapter to connect it to whatever machine I want too have access to it's contents. Slaving a drive to a working device ( tablet, phone, drive bank, whatever) means backing up the contents is quick n easy, while waiting on your replacement part/parts.

I don't understand why people are excited about slaving a drive really.
    10-27-2013 08:02 AM
    I thought we were talking about slaving hard drives, was there something else?
    10-27-2013 08:04 AM
    I wanted to play Star Wars: Forces of Corruption so I plugged in my external optical drive, installed it to my SP2 and created a bootable image file so I wouldn't have to keep it plugged in. Then I took the drive out, plugged in my wireless mouse, then plugged it into my 23' monitor and had a blast.

Screw ipads
    Yes, isos are cool as heck, and no DVDs to screw up.
    pbankey likes this.
    10-27-2013 08:05 AM
    by the way:

That's a pretty disingenuous comparison since it requires a powered USB hub and requires that the iPad be Jailbroken. The presenter clearly says that you need iFile from Cydia...which is only available to jailbroken devices. There is no jailbreak available for 6.1.3 nor 7.0.x

I really don't know what your point is. No other tablet is doing what was demonstrated as being done on the Surface. "Take a USB drive, plug it in, and it works."

Why is that so difficult to understand?
    10-27-2013 08:22 AM
    That's a pretty disingenuous comparison since it requires a powered USB hub and requires that the iPad be Jailbroken. The presenter clearly says that you need iFile from Cydia...which is only available to jailbroken devices. There is no jailbreak available for 6.1.3 nor 7.0.x

I really don't know what your point is. No other tablet is doing what was demonstrated as being done on the Surface. "Take a USB drive, plug it in, and it works."

Why is that so difficult to understand?

It's not difficult to understand, the op asked if it could be done. It can.
    10-27-2013 08:57 AM
    Beware, the Mac user take on this is that if you had a Mac, then it wouldn't BSOD and you wouldn't need an iPad to do this. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Mac OS also has BSODs ;)
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    10-27-2013 09:03 AM
    Don't bother, he's only here to slag MS products and prop up anything Android or Apple.
    berty6294, Kevin Rush and Tjarren like this.
    10-29-2013 11:35 AM
    IPad users don't need to do this since Macs don't blue screen. :D
    But they get stolen.
    10-29-2013 12:09 PM
    And other things...

556432d1323486115-os-x-lion-boot-problem-imageuploadedbymodmyi1323486184.296313.jpgphoto.jpg
    0.jpg
    zlr0nyjy.jpg
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-29-2013 12:22 PM
    Don't bother, he's only here to slag MS products and prop up anything Android or Apple.
    the op asked if ipad can do it, it can, but i'm slagging ms ?

hmm, i wonder if the moderators will allow this kind of personal attack ?
    10-29-2013 01:18 PM
    The iPad CANNOT do it. "IT" being: connecting a USB harddrive directly to the device and have it fully accessible.

What you offered was a kludgy alternative involving a powered USB hub, a USB dongle, and unauthorized software that can only be used by some iPad devices (not all). That is intellectually dishonest at best, trolling at worst.
    rav16, Kevin Rush and cckgz4 like this.
    10-29-2013 01:37 PM

hmm, i wonder if the moderators will allow this kind of personal attack ?
    Let's hope the same moderators have a look at your post history
    10-29-2013 01:39 PM

Nobody cares about you copying the pedophiles at a one direction concert.
    10-29-2013 02:34 PM
    The iPad CANNOT do it. "IT" being: connecting a USB harddrive directly to the device and have it fully accessible.

What you offered was a kludgy alternative involving a powered USB hub, a USB dongle, and unauthorized software that can only be used by some iPad devices (not all). That is intellectually dishonest at best, trolling at worst.
    Online forums are a great place to voice your opinion.

The files were copied.
    10-29-2013 03:59 PM
69 123