Can you do this with an iPad?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
That's a pretty disingenuous comparison since it requires a powered USB hub and requires that the iPad be Jailbroken. The presenter clearly says that you need iFile from Cydia...which is only available to jailbroken devices. There is no jailbreak available for 6.1.3 nor 7.0.x

I really don't know what your point is. No other tablet is doing what was demonstrated as being done on the Surface. "Take a USB drive, plug it in, and it works."

Why is that so difficult to understand?

It's not difficult to understand, the op asked if it could be done. It can.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Beware, the Mac user take on this is that if you had a Mac, then it wouldn't BSOD and you wouldn't need an iPad to do this. Don't shoot the messenger. :wink:
Mac OS also has BSODs ;)
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
the op asked if ipad can do it, it can, but i'm slagging ms ?
The iPad CANNOT do it. "IT" being: connecting a USB harddrive directly to the device and have it fully accessible.

What you offered was a kludgy alternative involving a powered USB hub, a USB dongle, and unauthorized software that can only be used by some iPad devices (not all). That is intellectually dishonest at best, trolling at worst.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
don't worry, we got it. copying files in one direction (or the opposite) is kinda the same thing: it's just copying files

if you're hung up on the capacity of the surface vs an ipad, ok, the surface has more storage space. for that matter a dumb copy-block and a 5Tb harddrive has more space, and doesn't require an ipad, android, or surface to operate.

even worse still, it prolly runs linux ;-)

Nobody cares about you copying the pedophiles at a one direction concert.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
The iPad CANNOT do it. "IT" being: connecting a USB harddrive directly to the device and have it fully accessible.

What you offered was a kludgy alternative involving a powered USB hub, a USB dongle, and unauthorized software that can only be used by some iPad devices (not all). That is intellectually dishonest at best, trolling at worst.

Online forums are a great place to voice your opinion.

The files were copied.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Nobody cares about you copying the pedophiles at a one direction concert.

I tried googling, binging, and urban dictionary, but don't have the slightest.

I do wonder what the speed difference is (if any) between the surface 2, surface pro 2 , and the iPad.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Online forums are a great place to voice your opinion.

The files were copied.
I can't believe that this topic has actually turned into a debate about whether or not you can do this on other tablets. Is it technically possible to connect a hard drive to other tablets? Sure. But not hassle free by any means and it's not nearly as simple as it is on Windows. So, while it may be possible to connect a drive and move files, if you're looking at this on such a high level then you are missing the point of the topic. On Windows this is easy, it requires no technical knowledge or special effort. It just works. That is not something you can say for Android or iOS devices that currently exist, and to be fair, this is not something they were really intended for anyway. Surface is a different kind of tablet intended for different types of use (although I doubt anyone at Microsoft imagined it being a lifeline for a dead PC).

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Redundancy is nice, and there is no such thing as "a lot" when your one reliable backup turns out to not be so reliable.

Sure redundancy is nice, but in that case you ought to back up, your last back up.. in case that fails.. you might need to back that up as well.. :p thus an never ending cycle of back ups lol.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
there's a new thread, looking for things the surface actually can do, and the iPad cannot.

Ok let me try .

Does the iPad has a USB port ? What the OP is doing is taking his hard drive of a broken laptop/ PC . Attaching it via USB to the surface and transferring all the data from the hd to the surface .

Hope you understand now ?

Secondly can you increase the storage in a iPad via sd card ?

I am iPad user by the way , other then some wonderful apps advantage and relatively a stable OS I don't think iPad as any advantage over surface 2 , and the surface is much more versatile device then the iPad

Ps - I said relatively stable OS , because I heard and read that the 8.1 versions has some issues like random reboots , apps crashing .

Peace .

Edit - the iPad air is also not stable , people are reporting screen issues , and app crashes , and reloading happening on web pages very often .

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok let me try .

Does the iPad has a USB port ? What the OP is doing is taking his hard drive of a broken laptop/ PC . Attaching it via USB to the surface and transferring all the data from the hd to the surface .

Hope you understand now ?

Secondly can you increase the storage in a iPad via sd card ?

I am iPad user by the way , other then some wonderful apps advantage and relatively a stable OS I don't think iPad as any advantage over surface 2 , and the surface is much more versatile device then the iPad

Ps - I said relatively stable OS , because I heard and read that the 8.1 versions has some issues like random reboots , apps crashing .

Peace .

i edited my post you quoted, with the link.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett