Can you do this with an iPad?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
It's reasons like this as to why I'm glad I have a Surface!

My desktop is blue screening so I figured I would backup any media I have on my drives before going through with the repair...

WP_20131024_22_52_20_Pro.jpg

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nice post! Very inventive.

Beware, the Mac user take on this is that if you had a Mac, then it wouldn't BSOD and you wouldn't need an iPad to do this. Don't shoot the messenger. :wink:

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
It's reasons like this as to why I'm glad I have a Surface!

My desktop is blue screening so I figured I would backup any media I have on my drives before going through with the repair...

View attachment 47803

Yup, it does it wirelessly. When on the same network as your computer, PC or Mac, it periodically backs up everything to your computer via iTunes WiFi backup.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yup, it does it wirelessly. When on the same network as your computer, PC or Mac, it periodically backs up everything to your computer via iTunes WiFi backup.

I don't think you understood what he was doing... or maybe I don't. :grincry:

I thought he was backing up files FROM the hard drive TO the Surface. If that's the case, then no the iPad can't do that.

Christian Kallevig

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of people are naive enough to believe that Macs simply do not fail in such a catastrophic manner, or at the very least that PCs are inherently unreliable and prone to crashing frequently. This was of course at least somewhat true in the old days of Windows prior to Windows XP. But the trouble is that there are a number of Mac users who jumped ship during that time when Windows was a little unstable and simply assume it is the same way now. Also they tend to have kids who have been brought up with that same belief as a result.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

Does it actually backup over WiFi though? I have never seen that before. I would try but WiFi sync is notoriously unreliable. Are you sure you are not thinking of iCloud sync? That requires WiFi and is automatic. However it is not stored on your computer.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Does it actually backup over WiFi though? I have never seen that before. I would try but WiFi sync is notoriously unreliable. Are you sure you are not thinking of iCloud sync? That requires WiFi and is automatic. However it is not stored on your computer.

My five android devices reboot to recovery mode, and make a full device backup to sdcard at 3am twice a week .

When they finish, they reboot, and push the update to my hackintoshs hard drive around 4 am.

At 11pm the hack pushes the latest BACKUP directory to Mega, Google drive, and external hdd's.

The androids do it all,
over Wi-Fi.

If and when there is a 2Tb micro sdcard, I'll be pulling carboncopys from the Hackintosh to the androids.

Oh, the hack? It's uptime is months if I care to leave it on.

The androids? Well, they reboot twice a week for the backups. You could weld the battery on for all u care.

The windows partition? It's just there for rooting some weird phones that need w32 exe's.

Also, Wi-Fi sync was reputable a long time ago, I like sftp/srsync.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
My five android devices reboot to recovery mode, and make a full device backup to sdcard at 3am twice a week .

When they finish, they reboot, and push the update to my hackintoshs hard drive around 4 am.

At 11pm the hack pushes the latest BACKUP directory to Mega, Google drive, and external hdd's.

The androids do it all,
over Wi-Fi.

If and when there is a 2Tb micro sdcard, I'll be pulling carboncopys from the Hackintosh to the androids.

Oh, the hack? It's uptime is months if I care to leave it on.

The androids? Well, they reboot twice a week for the backups. You could weld the battery on for all u care.

The windows partition? It's just there for rooting some weird phones that need w32 exe's.

Also, Wi-Fi sync was reputable a long time ago, I like sftp/srsync.

That seems like a lot for a simple backup....

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Dude a stand alone hard drive doesn't just wirelessly backup to anything, idk what in the world you're talking about?

And FYI I work at geek squad, and I can definitely reassure you that Macs come in all the time for HDD failure/operating system failure! lol

coolqf

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
At work my laptop wirelessly backs up to a nas daily and at home it wirelessly syncs to a hard drive connected to my router.
Yeah, icloud and iTunes backup are different. ITunes WiFi backup is an alternate way of backing up, for those who never connect their devices to a laptop via USB.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
At work my laptop wirelessly backs up to a nas daily and at home it wirelessly syncs to a hard drive connected to my router.
Yeah, icloud and iTunes backup are different. ITunes WiFi backup is an alternate way of backing up, for those who never connect their devices to a laptop via USB.

Oh I am very familiar with icloud and iTunes backups. I have just never seen a device back up to iTunes over WiFi myself. Just iTunes WiFi sync. I really haven't played around with iTunes WiFi sync much for reasons already mentioned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)